Author Topic: Sturt SES  (Read 9249 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Sturt SES
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:11:57 PM »
Sturt 203 F250

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 12:48:29 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sturt SES
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
I think thats an F250 HD-XLT..  The 350's have twin wheels on the rear axel.

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:44:17 AM »
It would be the F250. SES bought a few F250s for units who towed huge trailers (storm & salvage, vertical, USAR) and boats.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »
Sorry guys typo error
Images are copyright

Offline vr_driver

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
what's the turning circle like on it?

I know that a 450  is 22 metres.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
Now SES are leasing Toyota Hilux dual cabs with canopy, which have a towing capacity of 2.2 (I think ) tonnes.

From what I have heard, they are cheaper to run in fuel costs, better off-road and cheaper to lease than a Commodore Wagon.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »
the F25o we had was kinda turn the wheel and see how long it was going to take you to turn around

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
17.5 metres according to Ford. 22 metres for the F350 & F450.
You guys at Kapunda go thru some trucks! I remember when you guys & Berri were offered the Mazda from Cooper Pedy. Your boss at the time said it didn't really meet the needs of the unit (horse floats) but took it anyway. We ended up acquiring a Ford Courier from out side of the service(caused a lot of problems for the old boss- since replaced with a second hand Rodeo). Believed the Mazda was fitted with a turbo. Now you have 2 Isuzus & a F250?
Anyway I guess thats what happens when you have horses (high profile:-D).
And I have already told state not interested in a Toyota ute - not practical!
I would prefer a 4x4 light truck or a dual cab with a pod (since they don't like us towing trailers :-D
Anyway cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
the F250 was sent to pirie to tow the boat however it has since moved on to hawker i think for there horse team we are trying to get a fourth vehicle but so far no luck we have the two trucks one turbo one not 91 being the turbo and the land cruiser we run out of towing options when the whole horse team is active. the mazda has moved on the boss a the turbo fitted to make it worth having as he said b4 the turbo it wouldnt pull a snag of a slippery plate same with the F250 cost to much to tow with it     

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 05:01:11 PM »
Maybe he should have let us have the Mazda :-D
Yep the F250 is hard on fuel, Barmera have one for their boat.
I didn't particularly like it, however if we are offered one we will take it!
As our Rodeo is a tad heavy & we have to keep the troopy for the boat. And they want us only to have two vehicles :-(
Good luck with a fourth vehicle, the word is we are getting cut back not getting more.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
well they cant do that as quorn has only a hilux and a trailer the cruiser is great but is too small for towing our bike trailer and we can put the float s behind it as its one not big enough and two you can see past the float as they are so wide guess thats what happens when you have 4 bay horse floats we have even thought about self funding a new truck of some sort. chook you can have the mazda if you can find it we would be happy to have the F250 back or even our bus   

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 11:13:01 AM »
Does that mean its Horses for Courses :-P
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:46 PM »
Very droll :-D
I guess you are right though it will depend on need & profile, all I know is there are rumours of a plan to remove one of my vehicles.
Also some other assets as well, why? don't know. Can we afford to loose them? Not really, it will adversly affect our response to some taskings.
Will it damage our unit - yes! We will be more like a metro unit, storms/flood, USAR, with a little RCR thrown in.
However there is a bigger picture I'm told so I guess its a case of wait and see.
The good news is that we have a fairly powerful friend, who is involved when these type decisions are made. So as I said wait and see, plans tend to change I remember when they were going to take the Isuzu away and give it to another unit.
It didn't happen, at the time I was in another unit near by but argued very strongly that it was a very bad idea and made no sense.
Anyway good luck with the extra vehicle, I'm sure if its justified you will get it :wink: Becareful going out to buy your own, we went through that a few years ago - lots of pain!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »
Did hear a rumour that the 100 series Lancruisers were going to country stations so you might get lucky
Images are copyright

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
we got one of the land cruisers but not sure what its purpose is we take it to all sorts its a good thing for doing a reccie on a job but its a waste at a land search if we are the first responding unit as it is now our forward command point and has the computer and stuff sitting on the tail gate. cant use it for searching in rough terrain as starforce and commanders are leaning all over it   

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »
Did hear a rumour that the 100 series Lancruisers were going to country stations so you might get lucky

I believe they were purchased in approx 2006. I think they were for the USAR trailers, but they cannot carry fuel in the back because it is the same area as the people. They have now gone to purchasing the Hilux which also fills the requirement for all vehicles to be diesel engines in the future.

I personally think the issue is a vehicle to fill the gap between the Hilux light rescue and Isuzu heavy rescue (4wd version very big) (eg South Coast SES RCR truck). A few Units have the Troopy which they do not wish to give up as crew transport, but the passengers in the back are at risk.

Something for whoever is on the 'vehicle & equipment' committee.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:17:21 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
the committee will not be sending any type of truck ute or other out till 09 at this stage 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
Last I heard the committee hasn't met for ages, there will be no more Landcruisers and the committee was dealing with the requirements for staff vehicles.
Like all good things, starts off as a great idea. But soon runs out of steam due to lack of payed staff who are spread too thin trying to do too many projects.
Next time you see your boss ask whats happened to the stuff from the Wirrina conference. Minutes released, nothing more :-(
Back to vehicles did hear that the Toyota Hilux's were a stop gap measure & the latest is the Nissan Nivara dual cab utes.
Our troopy is due for replacement, but as said previously not likely to be.
So is the Rodeo - likely to be replaced but not with something suitable.
Our Isuzu is one of the first of the 500 series, won't be replaced for at least 10 years - who knows we might be one service by then :-D
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
i have a chat to the boss Thursday if you like and il grab the name of the company we got the combi through 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Good on you thanks mate! Doubt I will be able to get one though (whole heap of stuff on purchasing is coming through the system :-D).
But again thanks mate & cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »
yeah we didnt go through the system as it was our money the boss got the ok to get one and did so as we had the cash it was a cobi or two new trail bikes 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 05:25:24 PM »
Yeah we didn't either I just forgot to ask :oops: As it was our money not Safecom but I didn't know all of the rules :-D
Anyway lessons learnt, as I said I now know the process so we will see(might be able to do some trading :wink:).
One day if you are up this way I will show you some of the other stuff.
What we are really after next is a set of airbags, but they may have to wait a bit, Anyway might have to come down your way one day and have a look - you must have a very generous community, combitool or trailbikes?
Cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
we had to do a lot of hard work to be able to afford it the bikes would have waited till june but we went with the tool instead and for sure il have to get up that way and have a look around steal a few ideas for down here 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
And visa versa
cheers
Ken
just another retard!