General Discussion > SAAS

SAAS Assist

(1/3) > >>

JamesGar:
Hi all, just wanting to know who's assisted SAAS with a patient lift? I've often been at work in situations where we can't get another SAAS crew to back us up for a lift, or other situation where I've had to use CFS ff's to assist with patient treatment (used one firey from Mt Compass that I know quite well and has a lot of experience to do CPR on a traumatic patient arrest once!)

How have you felt doing this? Do you think the Senior First Aid is adequate to enable assistance with patient care? Manual Handling, do you have any training with local crews about lifting techniques, SAAS equipment? Does the current situation work or is this something that the fire service should be involved in (lifting etc) what's your thoughts?

As a SAAS Manual Handling instructor I'd like to know if we need to make any changes?

Cheers

Mike:
In My Humble Opinion:

We have looked at this on a local level on several occasions. The times where we have been involved with assisting SAAS have been good experiences.

They are only more than willing to bring the ambulance down to give us a run down on how everything works. It doesnt happen all that often, but is a welcome refresher.

Most of the stuff we do is at the direction of ambo's anyway, and if you really want to critique the senior first aid course on the casualty handling side of things then we could blow the course out by another day at the least.

The pupose of any course we do is to give us a basic knowledge of the job to be done, after that it is only training and practice that will develop those skills. The fact that some of that training might be with SAAS makes no difference.....

In the end, if they need help, im only to willing to lend a hand. After all if you dont understand then all you have to do is ask. In return its always a welcome sight to have them on standby at large incidents just in case.

Anyways, how well it all works really depends on the relationship at a local level i guess....

FF_Rayner:
I have assisted on a patient lift a few times. One time, some guy who was abit tipsy tried to walk onto the Bridgewater water mill, slipped and broke his leg.

mengcfs:
Down our way our Local SAAS vollies are predominantly females and we are frequently called to their jobs for ptient lifts.  We live in a rural area and lots of their jobs are on farm etc where it is difficult to push/pull a stretcher through sand!!!  We get together every few months and do some in house training with them.  Also when we have MVA's Rescue 51 or 52 will often land on the road so we give them a hand there aswell. It also acts as a good bonder between the services.
Adam, Meningie

strikeathird:

--- Quote from: JamesGar ---Hi all, just wanting to know who's assisted SAAS with a patient lift? I've often been at work in situations where we can't get another SAAS crew to back us up for a lift, or other situation where I've had to use CFS ff's to assist with patient treatment (used one firey from Mt Compass that I know quite well and has a lot of experience to do CPR on a traumatic patient arrest once!)

How have you felt doing this? Do you think the Senior First Aid is adequate to enable assistance with patient care? Manual Handling, do you have any training with local crews about lifting techniques, SAAS equipment? Does the current situation work or is this something that the fire service should be involved in (lifting etc) what's your thoughts?

As a SAAS Manual Handling instructor I'd like to know if we need to make any changes?

Cheers
--- End quote ---

Why pay for the training of volunteers, when the money could go towards employing/training more SAAS personell, and opening more stations...?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version