Author Topic: SAAS Assist  (Read 10449 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
SAAS Assist
« on: April 10, 2005, 07:22:13 PM »
Hi all, just wanting to know who's assisted SAAS with a patient lift? I've often been at work in situations where we can't get another SAAS crew to back us up for a lift, or other situation where I've had to use CFS ff's to assist with patient treatment (used one firey from Mt Compass that I know quite well and has a lot of experience to do CPR on a traumatic patient arrest once!)

How have you felt doing this? Do you think the Senior First Aid is adequate to enable assistance with patient care? Manual Handling, do you have any training with local crews about lifting techniques, SAAS equipment? Does the current situation work or is this something that the fire service should be involved in (lifting etc) what's your thoughts?

As a SAAS Manual Handling instructor I'd like to know if we need to make any changes?

Cheers
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »
In My Humble Opinion:

We have looked at this on a local level on several occasions. The times where we have been involved with assisting SAAS have been good experiences.

They are only more than willing to bring the ambulance down to give us a run down on how everything works. It doesnt happen all that often, but is a welcome refresher.

Most of the stuff we do is at the direction of ambo's anyway, and if you really want to critique the senior first aid course on the casualty handling side of things then we could blow the course out by another day at the least.

The pupose of any course we do is to give us a basic knowledge of the job to be done, after that it is only training and practice that will develop those skills. The fact that some of that training might be with SAAS makes no difference.....

In the end, if they need help, im only to willing to lend a hand. After all if you dont understand then all you have to do is ask. In return its always a welcome sight to have them on standby at large incidents just in case.

Anyways, how well it all works really depends on the relationship at a local level i guess....

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:29:22 AM »
I have assisted on a patient lift a few times. One time, some guy who was abit tipsy tried to walk onto the Bridgewater water mill, slipped and broke his leg.
The old logo is much better

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »
Down our way our Local SAAS vollies are predominantly females and we are frequently called to their jobs for ptient lifts.  We live in a rural area and lots of their jobs are on farm etc where it is difficult to push/pull a stretcher through sand!!!  We get together every few months and do some in house training with them.  Also when we have MVA's Rescue 51 or 52 will often land on the road so we give them a hand there aswell. It also acts as a good bonder between the services.
Adam, Meningie

strikeathird

Re: SAAS Assist
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:49:34 PM »
Quote from: JamesGar
Hi all, just wanting to know who's assisted SAAS with a patient lift? I've often been at work in situations where we can't get another SAAS crew to back us up for a lift, or other situation where I've had to use CFS ff's to assist with patient treatment (used one firey from Mt Compass that I know quite well and has a lot of experience to do CPR on a traumatic patient arrest once!)

How have you felt doing this? Do you think the Senior First Aid is adequate to enable assistance with patient care? Manual Handling, do you have any training with local crews about lifting techniques, SAAS equipment? Does the current situation work or is this something that the fire service should be involved in (lifting etc) what's your thoughts?

As a SAAS Manual Handling instructor I'd like to know if we need to make any changes?

Cheers

Why pay for the training of volunteers, when the money could go towards employing/training more SAAS personell, and opening more stations...?

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:24:55 PM »
Quote from: JamesGar

Cheers

The patient lifts that i have been on are very well done and there is alot of teamwork between the two agencies.

I am not sure about more training. I have my senior first aid, and i know a couple of my CFS buddies, including cfs_firey who is on these forums, have done a advanced resus course. You should ask him

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 10:46:03 PM »
I imagine your query was more aimed at the brigades that are not RCR trained...??
As an RCR brigade, Stirling assistes with lifts at almost every RCR we attend, as its part of our job, and as such we are trained to do it... (Meaning its not an issue)...
We did have an ambo come in and give us a lecture on 'in-line extrication', which was VERY usefull and helped give us an insight into what the Ambos are being taught, and how we can help with that...

However, like I said, Stirling is an RCR (and Rope Rescue) brigade, which puts us in a different category to most others...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 11:37:07 AM »
Why pay for the training of volunteers, when the money could go towards employing/training more SAAS personell, and opening more stations...?

Because this state relies heavily on input from its vollies. You also run the risk of "flooding" the scene. I would much rather have a sensible amout of people there who can all actively add to a job, be it fire, rescue or ambo that can assist each other in the task at hand.

Efficency can be a good thing, and knowledge should be shared. Especially when a common goal is at hand....

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
SAAS Assist
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »
Quote from: Mike

Because this state relies heavily on input from its vollies. You also run the risk of "flooding" the scene. I would much rather have a sensible amout of people there who can all actively add to a job, be it fire, rescue or ambo that can assist each other in the task at hand.

Efficency can be a good thing, and knowledge should be shared. Especially when a common goal is at hand....

Very well put

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Patient lifting.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:06:45 AM »
Hi there Mike

You have raised a good point.

We are lucky within our rural brigade as we also carry SAAS gear on the appliance as we are deemed "first responders"

For those whom have not heard the term "first responders" - its a group of CFS volunteers whom have been trained to deal with the issues of Ambulance care (By SAAS) - as we are usually first at the scene (as Ambulance response can be timely to our location)

Therefore we are trained for patient care & lifting techniques.

Thanks

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

rescue5271

SAAS lifts
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »
We have done a few here of late last one the patient weight was 160kgs and was not to good when we got there we have also been called to help SAAS with CPR and lift at the same time we have a very close working relationship with saas as we are there back up as they are to us . I would say sooner or later we will have to get training in how to use there defib and other stuff but some of us already know how to use it and are more than willing to help

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »
James,you may be able to answer this one?? I was talking to a member from a region 3 brigade and he was saying that members in his brigade had just done driver training with SAAS and that as they are now classed as drivers for the ambulance that they and there family get FREE ambulance cover??? If it's true what can CFS give us for free :mrgreen:

PF_

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 07:44:14 PM »
free matches :roll:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 10:27:03 PM »
I'd at least want a drip torch and lifetime supply of fuel for it. :evil:
Lt. Goolwa CFS