Author Topic: Hills Fires 10/01/07  (Read 24013 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hills Fires 10/01/07
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
Yikes! Was anyone on the back at the time?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »
i do not believe so

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
Looks like some embers got on there and away it went :-o
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 07:19:58 PM »
the price they paid for being more comfortable lmao

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 11:33:36 PM »
Seems pretty worth it to me! - Now they get a new seat! :P

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 09:14:52 AM »
As part of a strike team floating about on the Friday mopping up, I was very disappointed by the amount of rubbish left by firefighters.

Water bottles a plenty, even the odd box of lunch/dinner rubbish stuffed under a bit of corrugated iron. By the end of the day, the crew deck of our truck was full of rubbish we'd collected.

Why are people so lazy & careless? Disgusting.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »
Oh, and can someone tell me why a red flag alert was issued to find a female fire fighter with bee-sting allergy?

Not so much the alert, but once she volunteered her location, and the fact that she had sufficient supplies, the sector commander was still ordered to remove her & her appliance from the fireground to the staging area, report to the staging area manager and then the appliance (with her, I believe) would be allowed to return to the fire ground.

We heard this on the GRN, and at a guess it was 3-4 hours that the appliance was off the fire ground (on Friday, mopping up I presume), judging by the time the order to leave the fire ground was given to when they reported back on duty.

Details are obviously scetchy as we were just listening to the GRN and not taking notes, but I'd love to know what practical & logical motivation was behind this.

probie_boy

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »
Oh, and can someone tell me why a red flag alert was issued to find a female fire fighter with bee-sting allergy?

Not so much the alert, but once she volunteered her location, and the fact that she had sufficient supplies, the sector commander was still ordered to remove her & her appliance from the fireground to the staging area, report to the staging area manager and then the appliance (with her, I believe) would be allowed to return to the fire ground.

We heard this on the GRN, and at a guess it was 3-4 hours that the appliance was off the fire ground (on Friday, mopping up I presume), judging by the time the order to leave the fire ground was given to when they reported back on duty.

Details are obviously scetchy as we were just listening to the GRN and not taking notes, but I'd love to know what practical & logical motivation was behind this.

I guess that comes down to the CFS playing it safe and covering their donkey on a legal/OHSW front. However, if she wanted to be out there and had sufficient supplies its a little silly.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »

Vinyl cushions, not canvas.  Happened when the wind change came through Cut Hill Rd.  Truck was parked on good safe ground & everyone's attention was diverted to things like breathing & avoiding being BBQ'd.  Then our Lt started yelling & waving his arms madly.  Thought he had bee problems at first.  Then we saw the black smoke off the crew deck...  Funny as, later.  Not at the time.  Have paid out the pump operator thoroughly - you were supposed to be minding the truck / not letting you borrow *my* car / etc.   

The new seat is nice.  :-D   The new cushion is a bit thin.
Should have let it go a bit longer - might have got a new truck.
Hind-sight is a wonderful thing.  :mrgreen:

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »
was diverted to things like breathing & avoiding being BBQ'd. 

Had the same problems

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 10:29:11 AM »
If there going to start pulling firefighters of the fireground that have bee sting allergies thats a joke, i know that many cfs guys n girls who are allergic to bee stings its not funny, as long as you have your meds on you you'll be fine.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »
How old is the appliance that the seat cover was on???

the seat in our crew cab is all plastic...and our appliance is 16yrs old...maybe some bright person thought about crew comfort and not safety if that has come in since... :evil:

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 10:13:25 AM »
1991 appliance.  Cushions have been there longer than I. Suggest that the head-rest cushion especially _is_ a safety feature. New seat cushion has been supplied by Moores, hopefully with a fire-resistant cover....
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline mattthefirey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2007, 10:59:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure you will find she had no medication with her so they pulled her off and organised some and then she was able to go back on to the fire ground for the rest of her deployment. it was more the safety reasons of what would happen if they didn't act when thye had the knowledge of her allergies.
my opinion only

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »
And a good call by them, an anaphylactic reaction which can be onset when someone is stung by a foreign body which they are allergic too,  can be fatal.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure you will find she had no medication with her so they pulled her off and organised some and then she was able to go back on to the fire ground for the rest of her deployment. it was more the safety reasons of what would happen if they didn't act when thye had the knowledge of her allergies.

That would be the logical answer, but she stated (through the oic of her appliance who was on the radio) that she had oodles of supplies.

The bloke ordering the appliance back to the staging area didn't seem to care . . . simply said they were to leave the fire ground. 

anything