Author Topic: Mid Mount Vs Rear Mount Pumps  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Mid Mount Vs Rear Mount Pumps
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »
Gday,

I always hear people saying mid mounts are better.  why is this?  what are the benefits and disadvantages of each?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mid Mount Vs Rear Mount Pumps
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 03:37:27 PM »
I prefer midmounted pumps as they are typically able to be accessed on both sides of the appliance.. (eg Hose lines etc).. Where as rear mounts are limited in that ability.. - However, rear mounts have other benifits like being able to see the crew alot easier while at the rear..

So many pro's and cons.. but just prefer mid mounts.. :)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:47:05 PM »
My 5c:
As a personal preference, when working on a roadway, I feel safer operating the pump from the side (where you are protected from traffic) than from the back, (where you have no protection...)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »
On the other hand, trying to run a pump on a narrow track, which is just wide enough for the appliance, a rear mounted pump is a much easier, and safer option - the pump operator is able to move around , without fear of falling off the edge of the track!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
My 5c:
As a personal preference, when working on a roadway, I feel safer operating the pump from the side (where you are protected from traffic) than from the back, (where you have no protection...)

you could park at a 45 degree angle fend-off position, or point the rear of the appliance to the incident rather than the front.

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:41:37 AM »
My 5c:

you could park at a 45 degree angle fend-off position, or point the rear of the appliance to the incident rather than the front.

The 45 degree fend off position has the mid mount pump panel protected, the arse of the appliance can still be hit. As for turning the appliance around, well on a roadway the rear end is still facing on coming traffic and on freeways... youre not going to be able to turn around easily.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:07:48 AM »
6 and 1 half dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned!

As long as the pump is reliable and moves the amount of water you need in the manner in which you need it!

Personal choice mmmm coin toss.....rear mount, no mid mount....can't choose!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »
Is there much difference in the way the actual pump is mounted in a rear mount, or is the main difference the position of the controls?

Also - i agree with Pip on about the narrow track problem for rural appliances, but I don't think its particularly relevant for urban appliances...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
Mid mount prefered but rear mount has its problems....TRAFFIC and the wnaker motorists who dont look where they are going..
Epping CFA had acr run up the back of their Type 2 at the Servo :x
Images are copyright

anything