Author Topic: January 2007 MFS intake  (Read 48893 times)

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: January 2007 MFS intake
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 09:27:10 AM »
Yes, they should get a look at too.

In regards to 6000 applicants, I applied and was told by someone from the training department on my testing day that the PAT 1 went for 4 days with about 120 doing the test each day. That would make about 480 candidates, and from what i saw about 2 in 7 failed the beep test (didn't make the 9.6)  :-o

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 03:40:48 PM »
maybe 5520 applicants didnt have the required forms and certificates etc or their resume's/ cover letters made it appear they were not cut out for firefighting.

How'd you go loopy?

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
i sent in an online application a week after I heard that they were accepting applications, I got an email back a few days later saying that, they have already got enough people for the intake but I will be contacted by the end of March.
So no idea what the go is with that, anyone have any info that can help me with that.
Thanx
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 08:46:57 AM »
The first intake has already happened, and a current batch of recruits are now training. The new recruits passed Pat1, Pat2, psych, numeracy + literacy etc.
The next lot of testing will begin end of March? early April for the second batch of recruits to start in order to be employable around the start of the new financial year. If you didn't pass certain parts of the above testing on the first intake, then you will have to wait till next year as there is a 12 month wait between some tests. There are some exceptions, you do get a couple of goes at Pat1 - the beep test.  :-)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
I wouldnt think they would have started yet. What about the medical,interviews etc. You dont usually start straight away anyway they give you a months notice so you can give notice to your employer(s).

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 05:45:07 PM »
From what i have heard MFS have totally changed the way they are going to recruit, they are going to do rolling intakes every 3-4 months, its now PAT1, interview/rollplay/teamwork, PAT 2, exam, medical. They are going to try and do 100 people at a time. This is roughly the way they will do it, if anyone can expand on this please do. Im not sure if they have started training but the first drill squad is picked.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »
How long will they do this for?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 07:54:40 PM »
I believe they will do it this way  for all recruitment's needed to replace the guys retiring
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
The Mets are expecting a lot of the older guys to leave when the super changes come into effect. If they stay in then they end up losing money on their super, so the word is that there are going to be a few retirements in July, added to this the new stations and your usual leavers..... = quite a few empty places?

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
They certainly arent wasting anytime this year. The next drill squad starts on the 26th of March.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:35 PM »
Why do MFS need or have different super rules to everyone else and hat are they?

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 07:57:03 PM »
I don't think it's just an MFS thing? I think it's to do with all super and certain ages but i'm not sure. A couple of Mets guys i know mentioned that when the super changes take effect that a lot of old guys are gonna leave or retire, rather than stay and cop the super penalty.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
Some Government organisations have different super schemes to the rest of the Government workforce.   Some of the Police, and the MFS have more generous super scheme than the rest of the Government employees (excluding the Politicians themselves) - which came out of some very hard work by their respective unions.

While I don't know the specifics of the MFS Scheme, it may be that there have been some changes, which allows members to access their super earlier than previously allowed (and perhaps earlier than other Government sectors), and hence making it more attractive to take a super package sooner rather than later...

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline davo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2007, 10:47:16 AM »
For all those interested in, or have applied for the MFS this year, some food for thought for you. apparently most of the places are already unofficially filled!!!! - that's right. all the applicants that they want to pass have been given inside info on what's needed to pass the interview, roleplaying and exam stages, so that they will pass! THAT SUX. so much for equal opportunity. How unprofessional.
Of course this info MAY be untrue, but it has come from a VERY reliable source who knows the system really well. Not impressed after spending hundreds of dollars in order to satisfy their pre-reqs.
Wot do you lot think?
How did you come across this info?

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 11:52:18 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have just been through the application and testing process and didn't get in. I have done a fair bit of research on the process and would like to make a few comments on posts in this thread. I have found that there is always PLENTY of stories getting around about what happens and most of them are untrue or have been spun around.

First comment is about the "already unofficially filled" comment. That is probably the biggest load of "jibber jabber" I have heard to date! The main part of the testing that people usually don’t get through is the "Personality Profiling". That is due to the fact that you can't prepare for it. It takes ages and is around 700 questions. The point of the test is to determine if your personality traits match that of a successful fire fighter. Trust me, you simply can not prepare for this test. To get more info on what the Personality Profiling test is about, check out the website www.aiofp.com.au

Secondly, the people who achieved successful results in the personality profiling test would have been notified on either 7-3-07 or 8-3-07, same with those who were not successful.

The order of the process was

Application, Shuttle Run (PAT1), Interview & assessment (role plays), Critical Tasks (PAT2), Numeracy & Literacy test & Personality Profiling. Then it’s on to police check, medical & work reference if you were successful.

This was a really fast process. Apparently much faster than previous years. Due to the fact they need to have the squad operational on or before 1st July for budgeting reasons.

Also, they have moved the goal post a bit further again. You have to have a HR licence if you are applying after 1 July 2007. Great, another $1300!

Anyway, sorry for the marathon post & good luck to any one that is trying to get in!

Offline Mel

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 05:28:03 PM »
this might interest a few of you, i found it last week and is about tthe huge amount of failures in the personality test they brought in last year
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20974342-2682,00.html

hope that comes out if not google mfs personality testing. its a news paper article.

also heard from a cfs captain that this last intak out of 14 12 were rellies of mfs firies with the other two just being not, i supose. is this the norm, like the father son rule in afl. silly question but its got me wondering. could any one enlighten me please?

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »
So you believe everything a CFS captain says do you? Does he/she personally know those 12 people do they?
Another stupid comment on this silly thread.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »
Yeah, im also kind of tired of reading all the B/S ...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2007, 09:41:45 PM »
Many people who are successful in joining the police have parent(s) who are in the police.

Many of those who get into Medicine at Uni have a parent(s) and / or siblings who are Doctors, and those getting into Law have parent(s) who are Lawyers.

Is it shonky that these people are successful in what they want to do too?

Too many people seem too willing to listen to silly rumours which cast aspersions onto the MFS and their recruiting policies.

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »
I guess it's a way to make yourself feel better when you just missed out (along with the other hundreds of applicants) to create intrigue, scandal and conspiracy surrounding the reasons as to why these few select superhumans got through.

Couldn't possibly be based simply on their aptitude, fitness and abilities --- could it?!?  :?  :-o   :roll:  :wink:

Offline davo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 12:35:19 PM »
On a positive note thanks to the guys at Wakefield Station who were extremely encouraging during my recent Pat 2 test. Coming across top people like that is half the attraction to joining the MFS.

Offline loopylou

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »
Yeah, well i know what i know, and i've spoken to a LOT of MFS firies, some of them in high places and believe me it's who you know....

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
I love listening to B.S when I know the facts!! :-)
The last intake of 14 recruits did not have 12 of whom had relatives in the service!
* Five were ex Retained Firefighters from Mount Gambier. (me being one)
* One resigned during course.
* Two had fathers in the job, but both would of had three or four attempts to get in, so I don't see favouritism there!
* Six others were mixture of all sorts of occupations.
The testing is hard and if you miss out have another go!
Not many applicants make it the first time, so keep trying!

Regards, Mat
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »
Hi Mat,

There was a guy who went throught the testing on the same days that i did. I cant remember his name, but he is a tall bloke with short hair and he was a deisel mechanic. Did he get through? He was a good guy, i hope he got in!

When you say one resigned, what do you mean?

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 11:40:04 AM »
I don't recall any mechanics on my course and the one that resigned decided that the job wasn't for them during the recruit course.

Cheers, Mat
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!