Author Topic: January 2007 MFS intake  (Read 48615 times)

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: January 2007 MFS intake
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
Congratulations Senior Firie you just confirmed that 50% of the last intake was in some way connected to the MFS. 5 ex-retained and 2 who had fathers in the service. Out of the hundreds of applicants that applied do you think this represents a fair percentage of the cross section of the community that applied? Of course not. Nice try at pleading the MFS's case though.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »
Well the retained from Mt Gambier were the only ones who could apply for the full time positions in MT Gambier so you cant use that as a typical format for a drill squad. Good jobs are hard to get, get over yourselves.

Offline Mel

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
I wasnt actually beings narky, or malice, havnt applied for mfs so im not vengent, it was just an hounest question. stop being so quick to believe things are an attack. its what i heard from one source, and i thought id try and get more info on the subject to decide my veiw, so thanks for the info, but yeah get off your box

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2007, 12:58:14 PM »
I don't recall any mechanics on my course and the one that resigned decided that the job wasn't for them during the recruit course.

Cheers, Mat

sorry was confused. I was refering to the january intake and recruit process that has just completed. you must be talking about one that happenend in 2006.

is there anyone from the MFS that knows how many squads they are putting on this year?

Offline davo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »
Yes, they should get a look at too.

In regards to 6000 applicants, I applied and was told by someone from the training department on my testing day that the PAT 1 went for 4 days with about 120 doing the test each day. That would make about 480 candidates, and from what i saw about 2 in 7 failed the beep test (didn't make the 9.6)  :-o

Hey Loopylou how did you end up going in the process?  :roll:

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
Congratulations Senior Firie you just confirmed that 50% of the last intake was in some way connected to the MFS. 5 ex-retained and 2 who had fathers in the service. Out of the hundreds of applicants that applied do you think this represents a fair percentage of the cross section of the community that applied? Of course not. Nice try at pleading the MFS's case though.

You have NO idea..

pumprescue

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 02:52:19 PM »
Why dont some of you apply interstate if your serious about the job

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »
Hi Guys

Can anyone confirm that females who had failed their first attempted at the PAT 2 have been invited to retest it.

Don't get me wrong!!! I have nothing against females in the service I just thought that all applicants that failed their first attempt would be invited to retest the PAT 2 for the next intake.

stay safe brothers and sister

Offline red

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2007, 11:39:17 AM »
Yeah mate, I heard that a few weeks ago. But It's not just females, its fellas too. I know a few ex-police officers who have their pat 2 coming up I think this week. It sounds as though topjake that you are waiting on an email.... Have you heard anything yet??

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »
Thank for info Red.

Yes I am waiting for an email :-) but I have completed all my stages in March. So good luck to those that are doing their PAT 2.

Offline red

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2007, 01:10:52 PM »
Goodluck mate. Keep us posted. I'm sure there are a few people out there who would be interested in finding out what stage the recruit process is at. :wink:

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »
Yeah Im awaiting a confirmation email for dates for my PAT 1 (shuttle run test) which they said will be around early July.

When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline red

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
For those who may be interested, the MFS have started informing applicants that were successful in moving onto the final stages of the recruit process for the second intake this year (ie. Medical Exam and Police Check).

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 08:21:51 AM »
MFS i think is one of the last services that does not recognise RPL straight off the bat you have to be in the service for a while before they look at your previously gained skills.

I spoke to a girl in CFA's H.R. department a while ago about a CFA fulltime job and she said that they would recognise all my national competencies i.e. B.A., R.C.R., HAZMAT and Rope Rescue.

Don't know how true it was, as i found a better paying job in the industry.

I agree fully with other statements if you have C.F.S. fire fighters that go above the rest in their training and gain as many skills as possible and meet the fitness standards wouldn't they be a good option for a career fire fighter.

The statement MFS is a service for the boys ie recruiting sons and daughters is not true as i know a guy that had to apply 5 times to follow in his fathers foot steps.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »
MFS i think is one of the last services that does not recognise RPL straight off the bat you have to be in the service for a while before they look at your previously gained skills.

I'm not sure how long ago you heard of that happening but as of 2000 MFS is an RTO (Registered Training Organisation) and as such can accept recognition of prior learning if it is something that fits as evidence under the training packages that MFS require recruits to complete. These include the Public Safety stream (Firefighting and Emergency Operations, Firefighting Supervision, and Firefighting Management) and the AIIMS course.

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
Cheers Blue I've been told porky pies by someone.

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »
Does anyone know about medical requirements of joining mets?
I have recently had knee surgery and had a large chunk of my ACL taken out, and the surgeon said that without a reconstruction MFS would not accept me.
Not that this is an issue because i'm not lookin at joining, but was interesting when i heard this.

Can anyone update any info on this??

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »
Its all on their website http://www.samfs.sa.gov.au/recruitment/fulltimeff.asp#1
As for the knee issue, it would depend on a) you passing the physical aptitude testing which may be pretty taxing on your knee and b) a doctor clearing you in the medical for things like sufficient movement of the joint and joint stability.

but I think the severe alcohol and drug abuse would preclude you before then Footy  :-D (just kidding)

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 10:32:23 PM »
I see that the July and September intakes have been selected. Well done to the guys that have made it. :)

Offline red

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
Did you get the email you were looking forward to topjake  :?

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2007, 09:20:12 PM »
@ RED Not this time mate.

I have been on the waiting list from March this year and passed all the testing first time around. I do not understand that if you meet the requirements you are not placed on a course even if its the following year and maybe just do the PAT 1 again to ensure fitness is maintained. What more can be said but next time !!!

I think maybe the point system is slightly flawed as applicants that pass at the beginning of this year should be filling the first courses and the next selection should make up the short fall and fill the following courses as to keep the process flowing.  My reason for this is our standings are valid for 12 months only and then we need to apply again, even if you are on the waiting list. What major things are going to change?. I am sure this would help SAMFS in their employment as there will be resources available, and also applicants will know their position as the majority are currently employed and would like to work on a time line for their ultimate job.

Sorry if I seem negative I am trying not to (more confused) but being so close in the past 2 intakes I cant understand what it takes besides luck :)

appreciate thoughts from others good or bad   

Offline red

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »
I completely understand mate as I am in exactly the same boat. I was in that very first group of 17 to get through everything including the psych test, but unfortunately for some unknown reason to me I too missed out this year. I know of three female applicants who all failed the pat2 test first time round. They then got a second opportunity to complete the test (as everyone does), they passed and they have all been accepted into recruit courses this year. Luck.... I don't know. To bust your balls and come so close is tough. But you need to have faith in the system as it's the system that will get us in. I guess the thing I'd really like to know is where I am on the list? How far down  :?

I'll be looking to next year and if need be the year after that and so on. I heard that they are going to take on 100+ recruits over the next few years so hopefully the opportunity will come up  :wink:

wicky

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
Full-Time Firefighters
The South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) will temporarily close applications for positions of full-time firefighter from 1700 hours on 30 June 2007, until further notice.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »
Hey guys, just thought i would let you know that you are not alone in wondering "WHAT NEXT"
I am also in the Talent pool left over from the original intake earlier this year.
I was in the first days pat1 group, passed everything, even ran next to Josh Francou,( i believe he is still in the pool with us!).
Sent email to MFS's hr dept, got the reply cannot confirm or deny the possibility of another drill squad before our twelve months runs out.
I can say that the recruitment system is open to review and as we all know only too well, Nothing is as it seems in the FMs recruiting system.
With regards to the question way back at the start of this thread, the tall mechanic i believe has just passed his medical and still does not know which squad, jury or september, he will be in.
Just a quick update for you all...
I just want to help

pumprescue

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »

I spoke to a girl in CFA's H.R. department a while ago about a CFA fulltime job and she said that they would recognise all my national competencies i.e. B.A., R.C.R., HAZMAT and Rope Rescue.

Yes they will recognise these qualification but you still have to get through the process and complete the recruit course before this is recognised. So saying you have all these courses is fantastic but you may ot be the person they are looking for at all, it is a lot easier to get on a volunteer course with CFS and then say well i have this ticket let me in.

anything