Author Topic: Lack of respect for tradition  (Read 4123 times)

Good times

Lack of respect for tradition
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:44:14 PM »
Do you think we tend to neglect our history and have lost respect for tradition, I think we have, and it is a real shame, to much crap in the service these days.

Offline MCFSFF

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 08:38:43 AM »
MMm not sure, but in talking to the old guys and long time farmers I would say yes.

But a change of technology and the new rules as far as OHS and you can see its a changing world and things have to move with it.

As that has happen I think history and Tradition has no place in respect to the running of the modern day CFS its equipment and personel safety, in regards to injury and customers sueing!

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »
I think tradition, in the respects of The CFS logo is one of the biggest "losses" of tradition...

Fair enough, the corporate logo is the representation of the copropate identity of the CFS, but there are some things that shouldn't be changed...

rescue5271

tradition
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 10:11:44 PM »
Well I would have to say all fire services are made up of this from day one and over the years we have lost it and in doing so have also lost a few good members in the process. I am sure that in 50 years someone will be asking the same question as this one....

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 12:41:52 PM »
^^ Thats very true, but to be honest it shouldnt happen...And i think its a pity to the service that it has happend.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »
Tradition runs strong in a lot of people, look at the majority of comments posted about the logo so far..... Whilst some of these traditions should be maintained others need to evolve with the service.

This is where the question of respect comes in. Is it disrespectful to let this happen? In some peoples eyes most certainly (and in most cases i would probably agree) But like a child growing up and leaving home, at some point we need to realise that the times have moved on.

Now the catch is to ensure the "newbies" recognise and understand these traditions so their legacy will continue on long after we have gone......

Good times

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 12:22:47 PM »
YEs I am all for moving forward but at the same time not to forget what the people before us have done, how many of you still keep old gear and bits and pieces, sometimes we are a little disposable.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »
Yes I am all for moving forward but at the same time not to forget what the people before us have done, how many of you still keep old gear and bits and pieces, sometimes we are a little disposable.

I have my little stash of bits...... but your right we can be a little disposable at times, there's certainly no denying it.