Author Topic: New 34P  (Read 106036 times)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: New 34P
« Reply #225 on: July 13, 2008, 07:41:38 PM »
You wouldnt think a dodgy lot from 1 manufacturer would hold up some form a completely different 1 though?

Depends upon who 'owns' the design.
For example, NSW RFS own their appliance designs & contract builders to make them.
They have about 8 or so stock plans & that is what your brigade can have. Period.
So, if the design is defective & owned by CFS, then whoever builds it is likely to
build in the faults of the original run **unless the CFS has fixed the design**.

If, on the other hand, CFS is buying appliances designed by the manufacturer, we can
expect a completely different set of faults. Other than the cheapo hose fittings
specified by the CFS that is...  :evil:

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »
Nice looking appliance but not good for a running grass fire..........
Well what are you going to do when you get yours? I assume it will be your 1st response rural truck?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »
Not my problem........

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
Why is it no good for running grass fire?  Has the same capabilities of a standard 34
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

rescue5271

« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2008, 07:21:04 AM »
I had a look at the new varley 34p the other day very nice,crew deck is a little small for space to work on the rear,I disliked how they have painted the inlets and outlets so as the crew know which hose goes where they must think we are all idiots... Looks good but will wait and see how they go in the field,Cam,I did not like it for grass fire attack as there is (a) not much room on the rear and(b) you only have two deck lines.......But will see how it goes....

Sorry I was not allowed to take photos while it was sitting where it was.....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2008, 08:52:53 AM »
I disliked how they have painted the inlets and outlets so as the crew know which hose goes where they must think we are all idiots...

Oh no! They made it easy to follow the path of water flow! How dare they! Mind you, if they have read any of this forum, then they have done well to finally colour code the pump, like the rest of the country has. ;)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
The inlet / outlet on our 14 year old Hino are colour coded........ 

I think it is more important now that they colour code than ever before.....not because people can't work it out - rather because we have many different designs & layouts of plumbing on all the different appliance around currently.  If a person who has never worked on a particular build of appliance, colour coding means they can quickly work out the plumbing, (perhaps at first glance) rather than spending a bit of time working it out.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »
I had a look at the new varley 34p the other day very nice,crew deck is a little small for space to work on the rear,I disliked how they have painted the inlets and outlets so as the crew know which hose goes where they must think we are all idiots... Looks good but will wait and see how they go in the field,Cam,I did not like it for grass fire attack as there is (a) not much room on the rear and(b) you only have two deck lines.......But will see how it goes....

Sorry I was not allowed to take photos while it was sitting where it was.....

The Crew deck is fine...infact itd be nice to get rid of it :)

2 Working lines from the deck...Two working guys on the back....Two in the Cab.

Its better to use a 14 appliance at a Running Fire, meanwhile the 34P can do what its meant to and protect assets.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
Can i just point out that how we have hermaphrodite couplings it is really important to color code the plumbing, i doubt they think we are idiots.

get rid of the crew deck at last or make it as small as possible. Us hills brigades loose heaps of space that could possible have a long locker because of the crew deck. (which never gets used)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
The inlet / outlet on our 14 year old Hino are colour coded........ 

I think it is more important now that they colour code than ever before.....not because people can't work it out - rather because we have many different designs & layouts of plumbing on all the different appliance around currently.  If a person who has never worked on a particular build of appliance, colour coding means they can quickly work out the plumbing, (perhaps at first glance) rather than spending a bit of time working it out.....

Pip

Same with out 16 year old Hino, and other assorted trucks. There have, for as long as I can remember, been colour coded collectors/deliveries/valve handles. Red for deliveries, blue/green for collectors. It may not have been as obvious as having all the plumbing painted, but its been around for ages.

Can i just point out that how we have hermaphrodite couplings it is really important to color code the plumbing, i doubt they think we are idiots.

get rid of the crew deck at last or make it as small as possible. Us hills brigades loose heaps of space that could possible have a long locker because of the crew deck. (which never gets used)

Yep, along with what pip said, it makes for easy troubleshooting. Most, if not all of the paid services in the country have everything colourcoded. Its not because of retarded volunteers, or anything.

The crew deck issue does nee to be looked at for some brigades I think. As you said, most of the hills brigades would rather more stowage space to a big crew deck. But then again, nearly every individual brigade needs something different to the next, so the line has to be drawn somewhere.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »
yep so true.

Although i may get shot down out tardis of a 14 has no crew deck and we have never regretted that fact

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
2 deck lines is enough....just means you have to take the hose with you if you need to swap sides.  Deck is big enough...if you cant fit maybe its time to consult a gym! lol

No deck is fine for the hills dwellers but that doesnt suit us out in the sticks.  Maybe its time they looked at the design of the trucks again.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2008, 05:24:36 PM »
How many deck lines does a truck normally have?  None of the trucks I've worked off have had more than 2...

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
A 34 has 3
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2008, 06:00:44 PM »
think the new 34 has two lines but also 2 uprights for the deck monitor.  With a bit of engineering its easy to run a hose off the top of the upright.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:08 PM »
Roger.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
yeah i have never seen any trucks with more than to even 34s

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »
colour code has been around for years (industry standard)
Check out the most fire services around Australia and you will find the colour code. It has nothing to do with looking like idiots, it is about being professional  and having a standard

rescue5271

« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
some 34 had 4 and some had 3,the new Varley 34 as two and as cam said it also has the monitor,but you could always change the plumbing so that you had 3 side lines rather than pull the hose over the tank from the reel....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »
Ours has 3, 2 drivers side 1 passenger side.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »
I've started a discussion about running grassfires here.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »
Pics of the new Varley 34P can be found here http://www.ozfire.org/viewtopic.php?t=8950
Images are copyright