Author Topic: New 34P  (Read 107184 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Re: New 34P
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »
All very valid points cited above. Strikeathird I agree about the level of pumping and the equipment level, however it's the MFS who are asking for CFS assistance with COQ, it a mutual agreement and equipment levels have nothing to do with it.

As for pumps, Belair Pumper with JPM450 pump boosted the Bronto for about 3 hours at the Mitcham Shopping Centre fire, and the abbey platform at the cold store fire in Blackwood in 2004, both with adequate pressure. So in 'theory' the 500gpm pump on a 34p should be able to do the same!

I do hope that something comes of the Appliance Working Group which has a focus not only on what our current risks are, but also the 90th percentile of our workload, and what our risks will be in 10 years time.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2005, 07:28:41 PM »
The trouble is again, only two inlets and two outlets on the 34p. I don't know much about the volvo but i imagine it has more than two in two out, i also imagine it is two stage or above. You can have as bigger pump as you want but only a certain amount of water can fit through a pipe at one time

corocfs

« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:15 PM »
so many comments about requirements to be able to do COQ to mfs stations... who cares what you need to go there???

we should  be putting the right gear on our trucks for our own areas, why bother trying to put gear on your truck purely so you can go to there area??

i say, if they want our help, they should either put up with what they are sent, or kick in some funds to put whatever the appropriate equipment may be on trucks in EMA brigades for COQ.

does that make sense?

strikeathird

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2005, 10:26:59 PM »
I thought MFS get their funds from ESAU ??  As do we ???   (Correct me if i'm wrong.)

So we should have the same gear in my opinion.  We do the same job, only we are not paid!  If anything, we should have better gear!

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2005, 08:09:32 PM »
A few new 34P's at NE Isuzu almost ready for delivery. They include Belair, Athelstone, Birdwood and Crystal Brook. Must nearly be the end of this years lot.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

rescue5271

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2005, 06:26:19 AM »
James my understanding was that you guys wanted a type two pumper like eden hills but your group would not support your application??(correct me if I am wrong). The other problem we have,that some regional staff(not all) make up there own rules before they come out of H/Q and this is also causing problems when it comes to what a brigade or group should have in the way of appliances.I could open a can of worm but have had my large rear end kicked enough this year :-D

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2005, 07:00:37 AM »
I agree with rescue5271 as Kalangadoo has asked for a new 34 appliance because the one we have is coming of age but everytime we ask for one the group says that our brigade isnt active enough to warrant a new or refurbished appliance even though ours is nearly 20 years old

It all comes down to the rules that your group has set James as the rules favour some brigades and doesnt favour others if you ask me your brigade seems like it needs to earn a type 2 pumper before the group you are in issues it to you although your brigade has a very big responsiblity dealing with structual fires and i can see why you need it very badly
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 07:06:59 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2005, 07:38:50 AM »
James my understanding was that you guys wanted a type two pumper like eden hills but your group would not support your application??(correct me if I am wrong). The other problem we have,that some regional staff(not all) make up there own rules before they come out of H/Q and this is also causing problems when it comes to what a brigade or group should have in the way of appliances.I could open a can of worm but have had my large rear end kicked enough this year :-D

believe the group didnt want eden to get a type 2 either, were more after the 24P......

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2005, 02:06:32 PM »
A few new 34P's at NE Isuzu almost ready for delivery. They include Belair, Athelstone, Birdwood and Crystal Brook. Must nearly be the end of this years lot.

Just curious as to what athelstone 34p with be replacing their 24p or 34?? surely if it's replacing their 24p there are a lot of other brigades out there that are busier and would put that appliance to use?? I'm not having a dig at athelstone but the CFS really needs to look at where they are sending the new appliances, brigades doing 10-20 calls p/year are given brand new 24p's (last year) while brigades with a high call rate and rescue/hazmat equipment are still going round in original 24p's (seaford) AFC 24p's (salisbury) why not give brigades like that the new appliances and give the 2nd hand ones to quiet brigades?? One reason i was told was because brigades out in the sticks had further to travel so they got new dualcabs?? surely a second hand d/cab is as good as a new one??  We weren't even  going to get a new 34 this year until a RO came to our brigade and we pointed out on our then 19yr old 34 the rust, and the fact that the pump would pack it in on a regular basis, and there are brigades out there that have got a 6-7 year old 34 that aren't very busy and are getting theirs replaced this year, Seriously it's beyond my understanding how this system is worked out :?.

Just my view though and probably just repeating what has been said before :-).
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2005, 02:23:17 PM »

Just curious as to what athelstone 34p with be replacing their 24p or 34?? 

I believe it is their 34 that is getting replaced. Not sure how they work out who gets what but i thought there would be other brigades out there with higher risks who would possibly need 2 "P" appliances.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Broadside

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2005, 09:53:43 AM »
Matt one of the reasons that you would have had trouble changing your classification under the SFEC is that the standards are out of date. I have heard that HQ are rewriting the standards. The old SFEC's don't take into account the current levels of fire standards for certain types of buildings.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2005, 12:19:20 PM »
Yes i have also heard that but i have also heard that the new system won't be in place for a few years so there should be no reason as to why you can't get you're SFEC's upgraded off the old system.

Alway's an excuse not to do things like a professional service.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »
Like us... we wanted a new truck, becasue one of ours is about to fall apart due to rust, and were told that our hillbilly 24 is suitable for our area, because with that and our ten year old 24p we meet our SFECs... even though there are two brand new estates (huge... estates) that have gone up since our SFECs were done, altho they claim to have re-done them and we still dont meet new truck status...  :?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2005, 02:06:24 PM »
But how many extra calls do you get at the two two brand new estates :?
Thats what hq would look at

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2005, 02:46:25 PM »
The area that our brigade covers behind Mt Barker is one of the fastest growing areas in the state, in the not to distant future Hindmarsh island will have more houses than Goolwa itself of which probably only half will be covered by hydrants!! We are lucky in that for half of the year our area only has a population of 6000 mainly elderly residents, however during holidays it ballons out to as many as 15-20,000, we had some of the CFS heirachy come down to asses our area and they found that we cover a substantial urban risk. What does this mean for our brigade?? In my opinion nothing! This assessment was made but nothing will be done about it. We had some people in our group trying to get our 34 changed yo a 14 unit because of the H.Island rural risk!!yet around 75% of our brigade jobs would be classed as urban!! With this "substantial urban risk" we can't even get back the two BA sets we had removed from our 34 about 3yrs ago so i don't know what it would take in our area to have 6 BA sets back in our station.

Apologies about straying from the topic but i had to get that out :evil: :-D.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2005, 02:58:28 PM »
fire03rescue: only ever had about 30-50 calls out of the new estates ove past 3 years... but my point is it has increased population in our area by about 1600 people (id guess, if you said there were an aaverage of 4ppl per house; and there are about 400 new houses to cover...

a handful of gas leaks (i would atribute these to construction) - a few private alarms - and a fair few brush fence fires...

The area that our brigade covers behind Mt Barker is one of the fastest growing areas in the state, in the not to distant future Hindmarsh island will have more houses than Goolwa itself of which probably only half will be covered by hydrants!!

im confused... arent you Goolwa brigade... becasue thats nowhere near mt barker...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »
Your not the only one confused by that comment..... but.... i think the reference was to the growth rate of the area. Hindmash Island compared to Mt Barker.

Hopefully im on the right track.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2005, 03:30:44 PM »
MMM im sitting here nad iwas like.. mt barker... goolwa, umm ok ,theyre nowhere near each other. :mrgreen:

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2005, 04:09:12 PM »
The SFEC system is crap, until all reasonable requests for SFEC re-evaluation are put through to HQ and not veto'd by someone in Region who doesn't like you then the system is rubbish.

Look at the three urban brigades in the Mawson group, none of them have a pump that can boost correctly (only 500 GPM) and you've got some of the busiest brigades in the state there. The area around Seaford is going ballistic with growth yet they still have two rural trucks (dont call their 24P an urban truck). Morphett Vale is pushing over 350 calls a year with lots of urban area and no talk of an urban truck for them, Happy Valley are losing an urban truck and having it replaced with a 34 - how the heck does that work.

Oh well I guess we might as well stop going to urban fires and just hand over all our responsibility to the Mets, whilst we're at it lets build an MFS station at Mt Barker so we can move the Dennis and Type 2 there getting out to a brigade that does 2 calls a year...  :x

strikeathird

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2005, 11:20:58 AM »
But how many extra calls do you get at the two two brand new estates :?
Thats what hq would look at

If that's all they look at then they are seriously jeopardizing(sp) the community!   What ever happend to RISK !!!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2005, 02:50:46 PM »
The area that our brigade covers behind Mt Barker is one of the fastest growing areas in the state,

The area that our Brigade covers (ie: Goolwa and surrounds) is, after Mt Barker, one of the fastest growing areas of the state.

Think that's what was meant :-)

So how many BA sets do you have?
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2005, 07:10:45 PM »
aaah i get it now...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2005, 05:39:37 PM »
The area that our brigade covers behind Mt Barker is one of the fastest growing areas in the state,

The area that our Brigade covers (ie: Goolwa and surrounds) is, after Mt Barker, one of the fastest growing areas of the state.

Think that's what was meant :-)

Yes sorry that wasn't clearer :oops:thats what was meant, and we only have four sets as do most brigades i would assume however three years or so ago our group under the direction of region i belive took two off of us because we had four on our 24p and two on 34. 

So how many BA sets do you have?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2005, 03:29:11 PM »
Well we're prescribed 6, have 4 but would be a few operators short if we  6 using the 2 operators per set rule of thumb :-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »
Was just looking at the promotions website and it showed Belair as having their 34p and their pumper? are they keeping their pumper for the time being or is it a "Typo"??

Maybe CFS have come to their senses (i Doubt it though) and are letting them keep their pumper :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS