General Discussion > Women of the Fire Industry

Female Firefighters in the Media

(1/7) > >>

Blue:
Coming back to a previous post about being labelled a 'female firefighter' in the media, I'm interested to hear what others think of the coverage of the recent full time crew at Mt Gambier. Every news report added in the fact that the station "boasts the highest percentage of female firefighters in the MFS" thanks to a media release from the Minister's Office. What has that got to do with the price of eggs? Who cares what sex the fire fighters are. Or is it just one of those media beat ups where you have to use words like 'longest', 'biggest', 'most', 'best' just to get some coverage...

Blue

alphaone:
I have to agree with Blue, who cares what sex a ff is! what matters is that the job dets done by the most capable and trained person, if that is a female so filtered what. However it is good to see that Female FF are being promoted as the Firefighting proffession is still very much a "boys brigade".

lilmiss_firey:
Well i have noticed this is getting better...

Most CFS stations have at least 1 but mostly more females who actually are fire fighters and the percentile in the MFS is going up more, it isn't really uncommon now to see a female @ a fire station or in a fire truck...

SA Firey:
More the merrier :-D

Blue:
Hmmm, it seems to be a strange catch 22 - on the one hand its great to promote females in the fire service and maybe more will consider it an option, but at the same time when the gear goes on, we're just fire fighters like everyone else. I'm looking forward to the day when X% of females in any line of work isn't news, it's just ho-hum life.

That said, I have worked with some female CFS newbies that have made me cringe when they complained about breaking nails while bowling a hose   :roll:  :-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version