Author Topic: Female Firefighters in the Media  (Read 24338 times)

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Female Firefighters in the Media
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »
True Pip, you don't have to have previous fire experience to apply for a position with MFS. I guess what I was saying is that if you want to get ahead of the other 999 applicants, you would find out about it all before hand, including getting experience wherever you could. For example, it would be much easier to pass your physical aptitude testing if you'd actually raised a ladder and held a hose under pressure before.

http://www.samfs.sa.gov.au/recruitment/fulltimeff.asp

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 08:10:53 AM »
Notice the media always puts down your age when they do a story :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
What annoyed me about the media story about Mt Gambier Station having the highest percentage of female firefighters, is that the great work performed by ALL the stations firefighters (male and female) is really overshadowed by a percentage!

If equality if what is wanted by everyone, then the media needs to stop making such a big deal out of "female firefighters".
They are performing their job well, just as good and better than some male counterparts, so stop going on with the BS and refer to them as firefighters.

As for gender, ethnicity balance, what a load of crap!!

People should be selected on their suitability for the job, not because an organisation has to have a percentage of gender or ethnicity.

If anyone has a real interest into getting into a job they really want, they would do plenty of research and make sure they have everything spot on before applying.
And if it doesn't happen the first time, find out where you went wrong and try again!!

Anyhow, enough ranting and raving,
Regards, Mat

The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:23 PM »
Well its been a while since there was a post about this and I just wanted to say Congratulations to the latest female graduates at SAMFS, and all who have joined the CFS.

Take a bow girls 8-)
Images are copyright

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
Yep yep, maybe we'll all get together and make a calendar this year  :-D  (gee, I just put back the movement ten years with that statement didn't I?  :evil:)

Re the Mt Gambier station stats, I'm the only chick at the moment due to retained crew movements with jobs and holidays and such!

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
Good to see a female firie like Pip saying whats the big deal let the girls like the guy's get on with the job.

I have no drama's with girls in the job as long as they can do what the guy's do and in saying that I've had a few girls in my station that left quite a few lad's in the dust!