Author Topic: 'Contained' and 'Controlled'  (Read 5274 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'Contained' and 'Controlled'
« on: May 02, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »
As fire fighters, we all know the difference between contained and controlled fires.
However, I don't think the CFS has done enough to let the wider community know the difference. It seems to me, that when a fire is declared Contained, the public (or the media) seem to treat the fire as though it’s under control, and is nothing to worry about...
Apart from being dangerous for residents, I think its also damages the CFS's reputation, as when a fire jumps containment lines, it appears that we've lost control of it...
Should the CFS be doing more to highlight the difference? or is it a problem with the media?

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Controlled & Contained
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:31:56 PM »
You have touch on a very good issue - I totally agree.
Wayne Ellard

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:09:34 AM »
Indeed a good issue, and a good area to raise public awareness........................But how??  is the question!?

Offline FF_Rayner

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
I think that the CFS bushfire seminars that happen for residents for a certain area should be compulsary for at least one member of the family. We had one the other week that stirling went to so that we could answer questions and improve PR, and only 5 people showed up out of all the people that live in heathfield. Sure, maybe some people might be working at the time of the meeting, so they should have like 3 meetings per week for 4 weeks or something.

That way we would be able to spread information like that.

People rely on us to try and protect their assets if a bushfire happens, but we need the community to help us by getting ready, doing a action plan and cleaning up around the house. They are not going to learn how to do that by themselves as years of study has been done by scientists to prepare this information for them.
The old logo is much better

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 07:23:31 PM »
I have seen one brigade run community info evenings at a spot in the town where they do Stove fire demonstrations and run some drills on the Level 3 LPG rigs, these nights seem to be well promoted and attended & seem a great opportunity to share info with the community.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 05:07:30 PM »
Anything deemed an "information session" sets alarms going in my mind that it has huge potential to be rather boring...... However, adding a few good demonstrations to the mix and ill be occupied for hours! People will only come to these types of sessions if the content is appealing to them.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 02:13:49 PM »
"Your guide to Regulations" or other fire season "preparedness" material could incorportae this as this material is  widely availale across the state from all councils and many public places.

It's the old story though, the info's there, it's getting the punters to read it!

Maybe part of the CFS web page could include the thousands of acronyms and abbreviations we use across the fire service that we pass on in media releases or in community talks and alike.

Another avenue may be through the community fire safe program - their sessions are popping up all over the state!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 'Contained' and 'Controlled'
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 03:38:29 PM »
So.. a year and a bit on, has anything changed?  I don't think so...

Toast

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »
nope :(

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:10 AM »
I unfortunately had to defend and debate these definitions for days in the coroner's court...it was hard to get the lawyers to even understand the difference...how can we expect the public to have that insight  :?

I wonder if we would be better to use other words for the public..like SAFE or THREAT...or even use colours with words...green or red..

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
Agree with CaptCom lawyers dont understand anyone's language,other than their own lingo :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
This Is Something I Have Always Though Was A Strange One For The Public Cause We Say Its Contained & They Are Like Yay Its All Good, Then When We Say It Has Broken Containment Lines It Makes Us Look Bad.

The Pubic Need To Know What It Means Or Even When Media Reports Are Released A Brief Info About What Contained Means.