Author Topic: Forestry Fire Towers  (Read 16709 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Forestry Fire Towers
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »
Most of the fires the towers call in have already been rung in by people on mobiles already..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 04:44:48 PM »
littlejohn Forestry SA every so often puts up the contracts for each fire tower in the Green Triangle Region for tender meaning anyone who wants to sit in a box and watch out for fires then report them in via radio can apply for the contract

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
Most of the fires the towers call in have already been rung in by people on mobiles already..

I would question that  :? I often hear traffic on Forestry's GRN channel and the call go to CFS well before there is a page sent or any traffic is heard from region 5. But I guess there is also a lag between a 000 call and response.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2007, 07:22:43 AM »
Not sure what the go was this year but the fire towers would report the sighting to saforest office then they would radio SHQ(CFS) rather than contact the local CFS(RHQ)...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
Everytime a fire was spotted by one or more of the towers SE Forestry Base will send spotter aircraft to that location to confirm if there was anything there

Or if the fire has already been reported by a member of the public then South East Forestry Base activates an Automatic Dispatch for Mount Gambier,Mount Burr and Penola 'Nangwarry' forest bases as well as the bombers meaning an all out fire response..... if theres a stop call then SE Forestry Base cancels the Auto Dispatch allowing appliances to either return to their depots or standby locations   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
Ath, are you referring to SE towers, or Adelaide hills?

I agree with Blue - a lot of responses down here can be tracked through from FSA towers spotting the fire, reporting to their HQ who triangulate and then report to CFS SOC. For us it's an exception to get a telephone call first, and with only about two bumps on the landscape, the tower's accuracy is pretty good.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »
Everytime a fire was spotted by one or more of the towers SE Forestry Base will send spotter aircraft to that location to confirm if there was anything there

Or if the fire has already been reported by a member of the public then South East Forestry Base activates an Automatic Dispatch for Mount Gambier,Mount Burr and Penola 'Nangwarry' forest bases as well as the bombers meaning an all out fire response..... if theres a stop call then SE Forestry Base cancels the Auto Dispatch allowing appliances to either return to their depots or standby locations   

But only if there is a risk to plantation  :-D

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 11:50:51 PM »

dunno where ya pulled that from. sure some have already been called in, but a helluva lot havent...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »

Not necessarily Blue cause all the grass fires that Forestry SA respond to along with CFS the Automatic Dispatch system still applies regardless of it being near plantations or not :wink:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:45:25 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »

Not necessarily Blue cause all the grass fires that Forestry SA respond to along with CFS the Automatic Dispatch system still applies regardless of it being near plantations or not :wink:

Well actually there aint much in the south east that isn't near a ForestrySA plantation, so my comment still holds  :-D

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2007, 01:41:02 PM »
what do classify as near?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »
Near = getting-nervous-can-see-the-smoke-from-the-plantation  :lol:

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »
Guess this affects the hills more so than the SE. Wonder what the deal is. I'm sure there will be more in the media about it.

http://www.forestry.sa.gov.au/MediaReleases/Mount_Crawford_Fire_Tower.pdf

rescue5271

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »
The company i work for put in to Mann the south east fire towers for two years but they missed out on the contract Thank god for that would have meant more work for me...Fire towers have there place and it was not long ago that CFS where looking at closing down the MT lofty tower...Fire tower spotters are by far the best way of finding out a location of a forest/scrub/grass fire with in that area..To say that the public will call it in well ye they might once its knocking on their back door step...Or if you are in a area where there is high population and people keep an eye on what is going on in life...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Fire tower spotters are by far the best way of finding out a location of a forest/scrub/grass fire with in that area..To say that the public will call it in well ye they might once its knocking on their back door step...Or if you are in a area where there is high population and people keep an eye on what is going on in life...

Maybe where you live and maybe in the 1800's but not around Mt Lofty and not in 2008.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
[