Author Topic: PBI GOLD level 3 gear  (Read 5768 times)

rescue5271

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:23:50 PM »
hi all,does anyone have a copy of the does and dont's on this new level 3 gear? and a copy of the cleaning and what type of call's you can where this gear to. If so can you e-mail it to me please.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »
All the info I know is in the following thread:

http://www.safirefighter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23&start=0&sid=efc5d81b3c39464b381a1f02bcd6f721

This has all come from group meetings, however no official documentation exists that im aware of....

Good times

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 05:56:04 PM »
I don't think anyone has seen anything official, on another note I have heard some groups think they are just going to keep wearing NOMEX, well, got news for them, wrong!! There will come a point when the NOMEX will be only available for defensive, and if a FF enters a building wearing it and gets injured the CFS will most likely lose out big time with workcover and the like and have to foot any damages themselves, and a lot are carrying on about 2 sets of gear, perhaps we should learn from our fellow MFS firefighters and wear a nomex over shirt for rural jobs, will cut down on the baggage we have to carry, all you will need to carry is your jacket.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »
Not sure where I'm sitting with the PBI gear yet. Working at Ohalloran Hill Station today (colocated with MFS) and looked at the gear, First impression is how heavy it is, seems very cumbersome.

Talking with the crew they know that a couple of county fire services in the UK have union bans on the equipment purely on the increase temperature that they feel in just standard MVA and small fires, there has been a number of cases of firefighter being hospitalised with Heat related illness whilst wearing the PBI gear, don't know how it's going to related for us particularly during summer.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Good times

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 03:50:25 PM »
Hence the NOMEX shirt, the only way to get an item like this is to push for it, perhaps it needs to come back through the VFBA, or could we adopt the Burnside method, just take the extra jacket, I am not so fussed with the pants, its the jacket that worries me.

corocfs

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 06:37:18 PM »
my vote goes for workshirts....

not that this is generally all that related, but i wear shorts and a shirt all year round, so i tend to overheat on coolish days with my jacket on anyway...
workshirts would be great for small grassfires/VAs/etc....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 04:48:14 PM »
Whats the deal with these workshirts? Are they like a normal shirt with fireproofing? and how do they work (Do you change your shirt while responding to a rural job, and that means you don't need a turnout coat???)

Good times

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 06:55:01 PM »
The Shirt is made from Nomex material, but looks like a work shirt, its rated for rural fires and mva work rather than being in a hot jacket. You wear it as a normal shirt, then if there is a structural job you put the turnout coat on.

strikeathird

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:40:21 PM »
Next time you see the MFS at a small grassy, possibly an MVA, they usually have there bunkerpants/boots on, and a blue NOMEX shirt (the blue longsleve shirts with the MFS logo on the front, and FIRE AND RESCUE on the back...)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:15:36 AM »
Yes, I have noticed MFS wearing them, I had just didn't know they were actually PPE... Things like that would be fantastic, especially now that we aren't supposed to have removable liners... :?

Good times

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 12:36:50 AM »
As I say, make a mention of it to the powers to be. Its no different to the current jacket, just its in the style of a shirt.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 10:50:19 AM »
Maybe something for the VFBA????

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 04:53:01 PM »
I Want One, They Sound Like A Good Idea.  Any One Got Price's?

corocfs

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 05:57:03 PM »
approx. 45 for a shirt (without nomex) if you order at least 6 from fire and rescue. thats what my mate and i were told when we made an enquiry for them to be used as comps training shirts

Good times

PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 06:29:18 PM »
From what I have been told they are around the same price as a proban jacket. Its fine to get them from FARA but they will not be allowed on the fire ground unless you wear a jacket. It has to be treated in fire proofing.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
PBI GOLD level 3 gear
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2005, 11:56:13 PM »
Yes I Know The Price On The Normal Shirts I Was Wondering What The Damage Is On One That Was Treated.

anything