Author Topic: curious about level of radio traffic  (Read 13339 times)

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
Re: curious about level of radio traffic
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 02:47:49 PM »
How about less abbreviations lol...im beginning to agree with a Victoria counterpart that we use too many abbreviations.

I agree but mostly full names are too long for pager messages and a serial number is totally useless without a look up sheet.  At least abbreviations normally have some link to the full name.

AA

SES Communications trainer

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:41:10 PM »
but if you know the nubers of the units around you ie for kapunda we would have to know saddelworth northen districs and blanchtown you know who is who leave the names the way they are and use somthing like what MFS have for example MFS have gawler 359 why can kapunda have kapunda 239 etc etc

so a pager msg would read MFS daliy inc ## respond rcr kapunda thelie hwy near river light bridge towards eudunda unknown entrapments 239 2348

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
I doubt very much that your pager station id would change just the vehicle call signs would change.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
I doubt very much that your pager station id would change just the vehicle call signs would change.

Proposal is to change the numeric id number in text of pager to SES<alpha unit id><numeric vehicle id>. The actual paging id number will not change for the group of pagers.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
but the proposed call signs have double up some units have 4wd trucks and 4wd cars but call signs would be the same even if they are different appliances the only way to tell them apart is by unit name mabye sate and reion need to get of there back side and do some work why not leave it as is and make a list of what call sighn goes with what truck and what the truck does 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 06:28:20 PM »
Mate as someone who was around when the idea of the new callsigns was discussed in our part of the region (which is because we are running out of numbers) I would like to set the record straight - it was only floated as a discussion paper, unfortunately it got out to a wider audience to answer your question Kapunda potentially would have Kapunda 91, 92, 93 hope this helps cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »
we have been given the new call signs we have 91 31 41 as well as quad bike 1 quad bike 2 horse 1 horse 2 etc its a great idea now all we need and a state standard of stowage for each appliance so if we have northern districts 31 responding to us we know what it is able to do what gear it carries as its basics i have noticed that not all trucks have the same basics on it i know our 31 is different to clares 31 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 03:12:08 PM »
Yep we are 91, 31, 41, 81 you won't ever have them identical due to the vehicles themselves being different. The 91's should be close but same gear, with the main stuff in the same spots. If you look on the SES week web site or the posts on here about SES Week you will see what I mean.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:51 PM »
cool thanks im just thinking of all the basic gear for that appliance to be the same not always in the same spot but at least you know that each appliance comming has the basics and then some.

i know each unit puts gear on that every unit has but then they add to it we have big time we have extra saws drills our 31 is also able to respond to shoring etc  just because our U.M has bought extra gear.

can you see what im trying to say if not its cool ask me what you dont understand or if you want me to ry and explain it again   

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
91's pretty much fixed because of the standards of emergency response.
It sounds like your 31 is carrying some USAR gear. The trailer in the photo carries confine space gear, tripod, some rope gear, some cribbing, a second set of HOH, ACROWS, a second tirfor etc. 31 itself is light RCR (including 330 cutters), vertical access gear, compressor & air hydraulic pump and finally a 3.5 kva gen set. The idea is that 31 & its trailer can do what 91 does but is 4x4 off road & carries confine space.
We also have a heavy storm trailer ( lessons learnt after the Renmark storm). Basically we can put two teams of equipment on the road, what ever the task. I am interested in the type of gear you guys carry on your 31 specially anything thats not standard kit. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
chook if your talking about the trailer in my pic look closer its a horse float we don't have usar trailers and storm trailers we put it on the truck if it doesn't fit then it sits in the shed and we chuck it on a trailer or in the back of the cruiser when we need it.

we have three trailers we have the quad bike trailer, lighting and a logistics then the two horse floats the only usar/storm trailer i have seen is at metro south. 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
Ha Ha no mate I was talking about the photos of the trailer behind our 31 (on the ses website or in another post here).
might be going blind but I do know what a float looks like :-D.
I was asking about the kit you carry on your 31, you mentioned that yours and Clares were different.
cheers

Ken
just another retard!