Poll

Should CFS extend the fire danger season?

Yes
5 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: June 09, 2005, 10:02:04 AM

Author Topic: Burn offs  (Read 5264 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Burn offs
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:36:32 AM »
Any body want to have a wager on how many Burn Off's out of control that the Fire Services will attend in the next month. There's been a few of significance in the last few days (Marble Hill and Bradbury!) I know it raining today, but I bet that won't last!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 10:02:04 AM by JamesGar »
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Burn offs
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 12:20:04 PM »
It is crazy the amount of Burn offs lost, correct me if I am wrong.
You still need a clean air act permit to have a burn off from the council. So why does some councils go mad and just give out permits. The Mitcham council will not give any permits until we have had some rain :wink:

Good times

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 01:26:50 PM »
Most councils only require permits in the urban area, but how many people actually think to get a permit, not many I bet!

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 02:23:53 PM »
Better still - for those that don't get permits and something goes astray - what is done about it or what follow up occurs - little if any I suggest. We respond and extinguish the fire and maybe investigate the fire (although often the person burning off admits to what happened) and then what????
Its hard enough to get the Police to pursue a fire in the Fire Danger Season, where a breach of the CFAct has occured - I'm sure they will be less interested now, that is of course if you are lucky enough to have a Police patrol attend!

Mmmmmm - this stinks of more legislation, by-laws and alike that won't get policed either!

There is no easy solution - prohibit it and we have  a greater long term problem, more fuel. Regulate it better and those that don't follow the regulations will get what????
Educate those burning - sound practical solution - but who will educate them????

This isn't only an urban interface problem either - this occurs state wide!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
educate? wasnt that what the bushfire blitz team were for? after all CFS hired 3 staff and got a few vans to use...

Anyways, I have heard of groups running information sessions for the local cocky's and the likes before the fire season..... why not extend that idea a bit more, seems like the perfect time seeing as they will most likely be the ones burning off as well........ just a thought....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 04:38:08 PM »
We've already been to 7 out of control burnoffs in the last week. It seems that people don't realise that there can still be fire danger out of the fire danger season...

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 07:05:51 PM »
Talking about burn-offs getting out of control.... (thinks of the last 4 days  :? )

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 09:30:34 AM »
You cant help but feel a little sorry for some of the farmers who do it though..... Had one yesterday when the guy was happily extinguishing the fire...... untill the inlet hose to the pump melted on the exhaust (cocky unit). Yeah, you could say it was poor maintenance, and i wont disagree, but he was trying to do the right thing.....

Good times

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 12:21:49 PM »
I am not so worried about the genuine farmers, it seems a lot of these weekend farmers are the trouble, just look at the Cudlee Creek job, just spent god knows how many hours out there cleaning that up!!

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 09:00:33 PM »
Yea, i think the CFS should definatey go ahead and extend the Fire Season.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 09:58:52 AM »
I agree the season should be continued until we have sufficient rain to give some green undergrowth! I might add a poll...
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 08:03:21 PM »
I think it would be a wise move any way, fair enough it might piss a couple of people off, but hey, its worth it if it saves a house / life in the long run.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »
I think it would be a wise move any way, fair enough it might piss a couple of people off, but hey, its worth it if it saves a house / life in the long run.

By the way we've been going, it won't be the long run, it will save a house in the very near future. Either extend the fire danger season, or have massive media coverage of the CFS saying
"Although the fire Danger Season is over, we recommend that you Don't burn until we say it's safe to do so!"