Author Topic: firefighter down  (Read 7924 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
firefighter down
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:21:23 PM »
I am trying to come up with a way to get firefighter down training to work well and give the rescuers or emergency BA team the shock so they didn't know it was coming? any suggestions on how?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: firefighter down
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »
Run a BA excercise , either smoke filled, or masks "blacked out"..

Run this in a building, making it as lifelike to the real thing... Set it up with dummies, just like a normal simulation.. So the team are on a primary search.. Have a safety officer inside, and when he/she see's fit, walk up, tell a fire fighter to lay down and activate the DSU..

This is really as lifelike as possible..  - Maybe take them a couple feet off a hose/guide line, to simulate them going off the rope/hose and getting lost or having a partial collapse..  - Make it real difficult and make both members down, simlating maybe a roof collapse or flash over.

But, everyone in Picadilly now knows that next BA training is going to be a FF down.. :P

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
thanks that sounds like a good way to do it

"But, everyone in Piccadilly now knows that next BA training is going to be a FF down.. Tongue"   

yes that might be a slight problem

Piccadilly has a double c  :-P

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
Sentences also have fullstops and start with capitals. :P

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:27:45 PM »
We did that at our station about a month ago as a group BA exercise, the GTO went in and set off a dsu unannounced, the team that just came out had to swap CYLINDERS :-D and go back in again.

It works well as long as no one knows it's going to happen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 09:42:43 PM by Mundcfs »
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
that's a sixpack :-D

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
We did that at our station about a month ago as a group BA exercise, the GTO went in and set off a dsu unannounced, the team that just came out had to swap tanks and go back in again.

It works well as long as no one knows it's going to happen

It must have been pretty cool to do a BA exercise with the ADF, mind you I don't know why CFS volunteers were allowed to take tanks into buildings.  :wink:

Bittenyakka, have you thought about making it a little diferent?

Maybe use a soft dummy or Rescue Randy with CABA and DSU on, and have them in an odd location/entangled. Spice it up a little. Make your operators actually have to remove the victim from the incident.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 05:19:02 PM »
certain Regional Officers from STC would expect you to do 20 push ups with BA on for saying Tanks.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »
Instead of a dummy with BA, have the firefighter go down as is.. - Cant be any more realistic than actually taking a (downed) member out in full kit.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »
certain Regional Officers from STC would expect you to do 20 push ups with BA on for saying Tanks.

Fine Cylinders then  :-P
That would be why i'm not BA qualified :-D

The person they had to drag out with BA on would have topped 100kg and the two ff's who dragged him out were stuffed afterwards.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
Instead of a dummy with BA, have the firefighter go down as is.. - Cant be any more realistic than actually taking a (downed) member out in full kit.
Using a dummy actually allows you to 'entangle' them, (eg, dump a couch on them), to simulate an actual rescue, rather than just dragging them out...

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 01:49:16 PM »
Using a dummy actually allows you to 'entangle' them, (eg, dump a couch on them), to simulate an actual rescue, rather than just dragging them out...

HMMM using a dummy.... using a vollie....

ummm.....  :roll:

Offline Mel

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
Just a quick suggestion, I did my BA in naracort ( please excuse spelling). They acctivated a spare DSU and chucked it in. As ETO i sent crews in. this was good learning, but found i knew were my crews were so sent the other crews after them only to find there wasnt actually a person, so if you do activate a DSU if you place it on a dummy take a member out so it gives the ETO a chance to check how they are going. a search and rescue wasnt that effective when the BA were looking for a FF when it was only a small DSU.
Still was a great weekend though.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
Just a quick suggestion, I did my BA in naracort ( please excuse spelling). They acctivated a spare DSU and chucked it in. As ETO i sent crews in. this was good learning, but found i knew were my crews were so sent the other crews after them only to find there wasnt actually a person, so if you do activate a DSU if you place it on a dummy take a member out so it gives the ETO a chance to check how they are going. a search and rescue wasnt that effective when the BA were looking for a FF when it was only a small DSU.
Still was a great weekend though.

Exactly. Its not realistic to have all your crews out and accounted for... then you hear a DSU going off. Much better to have crews go in to particular areas, not on a hose line, then have a DSU go off... You have a rough location of where the crew is meant to be, but they may be a little off track...

Yeah, its realistic, but not a great simulation if you want someone unconscious. Not to mention that if there is one of my crew down inside a building, I'm not really going to be that nice about pulling them out, OH&S goes out the door and they are extracted the fastest way possible.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
If it is a safe environment for the casualty, ask a SES volunteer or a CFS volunteer from a neighbouring brigade to be the casualty for you. Then some cross training occurs and the CFS crew stays in tact at the beginning of the exercise.

I have noticed that when a crew rescues someone they do not know personally, they react differently. The joking & casual comments disappear.

Because we are all part of SAFECOM your insurance & OHS issues are avoided.

If anyone is within 90 minutes drive of Adelaide CBD or Pt Noarlunga South and want a casualty, I would volunteer...... :-)
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything