Author Topic: Operation Seek  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Operation Seek
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:06:05 AM »
Hey Guys

For those of you in Mount Gambier, and who were involved with Operation Seek on Tuesday night, I would love to hear some feedback.  I have posted in this section because it was a operation involving many different agencies.

For those who aren't aware, Operation Seek was a multi agency training operation with MMFS CFS and SES, and Forestry SA involved (don't think there was any other...

Operation was co-ordinated by Blue and was done really well, I think it showed how agencies can and do work well together and also showed some areas where improvements need to be made.

I was going to describe the scenario but probably wouldnt do it justice, so Blue when you read this, can you fill us in on the details...

Really interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this, and would also like to hear of any other operations like this that occured, and how they went...

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Seek
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
And to think in the past that we used to actually use our voice, now you have to go home and post on SAFF.
If you need to come to SAFF to discuss this then obviously you didn't have a proper debrief on the incident.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 04:07:42 PM »
May i ask what your problem is?  All you ever do is bag the scheiße out of us South Easters....
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »
Hope you guys had a nice time,did anyone take photos??? and how did it all work and who wa running the show.. I did hear the MFS guys talking about it this morning while I was on station ...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:16:16 PM »
May i ask what your problem is?  All you ever do is bag the filtered out of us South Easters....

im regionist

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
There were some happy snappers walking round, hopefully some of them make it up here.

Yes we did have a debrief, so the idea of this thread was therefore to give those who werent there an understanding of te logistics of it all and a general discuss for everyone to find out how it went, things that could be improved and things that worked well. Its good to know some stuff thats happening around the state, I would be interested in finding out what other regions are doing along the lines of large scale training operations and also working with other agencies.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:15:01 AM »
Well may be for those of us that where not there or did not get a invite here is a good chance for you to let us all know all about the night and who did what...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »
Gee whiz the open mindedness of Hicksflat14 and willingness to embrace new ideas is non existent and his reason for that type of outlook is because he is regionlist. Oh let me guess which region umm Region 1. Being from a Region and from a small Brigade in an even smaller town where new ideas are hard to come by anyone who shares an activity on SAFF can assist us doing something with our region or group training officers maybe not of the same scale but something that could be equally as rewarding
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
Cheers Footy, glad you could make it along.

Some would remember a chat about training opportunities to help build bridges between the services, and there weren't too many that could talk about a large training incident involving multiple agencies (I'd still love to hear about them if they've been done elsewhere!). We grabbed an opportunity to fill ForestrySA's recently vacated corporate office with smoke and do a casualty rescue with CFS, MFS and SES.

13 people (6 dummies) inside, smoke bombs and two smoke machines, 40 odd firefighters/SES crew with about 10 in BA from two entry points. We had four safety officers noting tactics and ensuring everyone was following the incident do's and don'ts - we used the senior staff to take them out of the equation and give others the opportunity to lead.

Many lessons learnt by all involved. For anyone willing to organise something like this I say make a plan, stick to it and give everyone plenty of notice. Don't let your crew have any preconceived ideas of the operation and make sure you spell out clearly what crews can and can't do on the night.

I had great feedback from the casualties in terms of their handling and the way they were reassured by crews. I guess we are used to having SAAS on scene and they would have taken the casualties when the BA crew dragged them out so in their absence our casualty handling once outside the building was a bit lacking LOL but most got up and walked away  :lol:

All crews were able to locate the casualties correctly on the map they drew, and some areas were quite open and rabbit warrenish, difficult to navigate, and a few rooms were so smokey you couldn't see a hand infront of your face.

Ventilation was a bit average, and crews learnt heaps about strategic sequential ventilation.

Entry at the second point was slow due to us not being allowed to smash a window (it was a fire exit so only opened outward) but in a real situation you'd just break in. Also CFS crews got their head around a situation where the usual heirarchy was not present and the Lt had to step back and not get involved as they normally would - very good learning for the upcoming crew leaders.

I had organised that we could break two doors, and we locked them and stuck a sign on them saying OK TO DAMAGE. But they crews inside worked so well they figured out that the other side of the two doors could actually be accessed by other means so they never got to practice forced entry -  :lol: bugger!!  :-P

Communications was a bit messy, but mostly due to the fact that there was a need to change GRN channels mid incident as we were interfering with a job at Murray Bridge! That left a couple of BA crews on the wrong channel. Also SES can't join in the chat on our GRN channels, which was a surprise for some crews. Just meant more running back and forth. We also had a problem with similar sounding names over the fireground radio chat, and in the debrief we discussed the need to use the persons rank and last name as proper protocol.

We had some equipment we didn't use and could have, such as a thermal imaging camera which would have been useful for locating casualties. Again, a good reminder and I'm sure it will be grabbed next time.

SES had a groovy blow up tent, like an orange bouncy castle, which was great for keeping the casualties and the ECO dry in the drizzly rain.

Some photos were taken but I don't have any, will try and get hold of some. Border Watch took some and one appeared in the paper.

The MFS pagers went off in the middle of the debrief, and SES got paged just as they finished packing up afterward, but atleast it wasn't in the middle of the incident!  :lol:

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »
Communications was a bit messy, but mostly due to the fact that there was a need to change GRN channels mid incident as we were interfering with a job at Murray Bridge! That left a couple of BA crews on the wrong channel. Also SES can't join in the chat on our GRN channels, which was a surprise for some crews.

sometimes for these type of exercises it's a good idea to use GRN simplex talkgroups, main advantages are (1) you are not clogging up the GRN for others, (2) people feel less intimidated knowing that they can practice without all and sundry from miles around being able to listen in and hear their mistakes.  The only drawback is you don't get the "beep" on pressing the button before you talk so it's not 100% real-life but then no training is.
PS. well done, sounds like a good exercise

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 11:56:23 AM »
well sound like a very good night and one that may be we will see other groups get involved with as we all have other services in our group or brigade area that we do need to all work as a team...Well done to all involved both Volunteers and the paid staff..Now where are the photos????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
Communications was a bit messy, but mostly due to the fact that there was a need to change GRN channels mid incident as we were interfering with a job at Murray Bridge! That left a couple of BA crews on the wrong channel. Also SES can't join in the chat on our GRN channels, which was a surprise for some crews.

sometimes for these type of exercises it's a good idea to use GRN simplex talkgroups, main advantages are (1) you are not clogging up the GRN for others, (2) people feel less intimidated knowing that they can practice without all and sundry from miles around being able to listen in and hear their mistakes.  The only drawback is you don't get the "beep" on pressing the button before you talk so it's not 100% real-life but then no training is.

Just re comms - wouldn't the incident communications plan have the fire ground on VHF portables and command on GRN??

That way the GRN is not busy and fire ground has free use of a fairly localised system.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »
Well done Blue, awesome effort.

It's great to see someone taking the effort to organise such a training day, much less getting so many agencies involved.

Thanks for sharing the details too.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
Ta for the feedback!

Just re comms - wouldn't the incident communications plan have the fire ground on VHF portables and command on GRN?? That way the GRN is not busy and fire ground has free use of a fairly localised system.

Yep, that's a good plan and does work well for CFS but at MFS here we don't carry VHF portables as far as I'm aware. Only GRN portables that are set on a simplex channel.

Yes good point, we were using simplex, which is what left me completely baffled about interfering with a Murray Bridge job. Figure that one out. I'm not sure of what actually happened. It must have been GRN 195 which is the MFS SE channel that was getting interference and someone got confused and asked us to change simplex channels. D'uh  :-P  :lol:

Now where are the photos????

Heh heh so many cameras and so few piccies!  :lol:
I'm still trying to chase some down....

anything