Author Topic: Life Expectancy of New Trucks  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Life Expectancy of New Trucks
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:20 PM »
Gday,

Are the trucks that have been built in the last few years going to last to 20 years?

Naracoorte Pumper - 9 Years old & full of rust

Stirling Pumper - 4? Years old & continual problems.

Seaford Pumper - 14? Years old Continual Problems (seems to be going well at the moment)

McClaren Flat 34 - 2 or 3 years old and has problems staying on all 4 wheels.

Was speaking to a GO down my way a few weeks back and he said the workman ship on the newer trucks is shocking.  The electrical system in the truck is useless - The water level indicator has 10 wires in the same tube all black! no colour coding.

And then you look at the appliances built 20 years ago like Burnside Pumper & Eden Hills Pumper.  Still going strong at 25 & 20 respectively.  Why is this?  New parts not as good?  Competition is greater therefore cheaper prices therefore lesser quality?

What are peoples thoughts?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Life Expectancy of New Trucks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:24:22 PM »
Well all the pumpers are a single make in Aus so it would make sense that there might be some problems as with most first builds. McClaren Flat is one 34 and I thought it had been rectified. Either way out of all the trucks in CFS if these are the only real big problems then i think we are doing rather well.

No one has complained (that i have heard) about the new 34 (2007) or any of the 34p's and most other problems are arising from age of trucks. My brigades 24 16-17 yrs is starting to show heavy ware in some places but that is expected.

Mabey CFs needs to make it's  replacement 18 years instead of 20?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
Some are being replaced at the 17-18 year mark, not sure if the truck is stuffed or they are just lucky. Edens pumper (the Ford) has been off the run for a while so its not still going strong.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
I think camo,you have to look at how much money that CFS is getting or not getting to have appliances built,you pay for what you get and if your not willing to open the book fully then you only get part of the appliances and not the whole appliance.Cfa have just had a budget of $100 Million for appliance replacement....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Morgan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
1909006 16:31:35 24-05-07 ANYBODY AVAIL TO GO AND JUMP START PUMPER AND THEN GET IT BACK TO THE STATION PLS PH CHRIS VANSTONE 0883397879 CFS Stirling Info

maybe we can add stirling pumper to the list........... :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »
well their not having much luck with that pumper,now i hear there is a problem with the 34p with rust and plumbing problems......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:58:59 PM »
Stirling don't have a 34p :?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I do know that they dont have a 34p ........it was their pumper I was talking about...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
haha, dont get the terminology wrong about a truck. someone will jump on you...

:-P

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »
1909006 16:31:35 24-05-07 ANYBODY AVAIL TO GO AND JUMP START PUMPER AND THEN GET IT BACK TO THE STATION PLS PH CHRIS VANSTONE 0883397879 CFS Stirling Info

maybe we can add stirling pumper to the list........... :-D

STRL: Seaford 24p is now energised and back online. Please remember to isolate power. Popie
 0417------

may not have been the pumper...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
well their not having much luck with that pumper,now i hear there is a problem with the 34p with rust and plumbing problems......
I do know that they dont have a 34p ........it was their pumper I was talking about...

Do you mean there are problems with the 'new' Isuzu 34Ps with rust problems?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »
Yes there are problems with the 34p with rust and from what someone in the know was telling me they also have a plumbing problem that will need to be fixed before any more are sent out to new homes.I guess sitting out in the cold and rain at northeast was the problem.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 07:27:26 PM »
What is the rust problem with the 9YR Naracoorte pumper?

Also general rust problems - chassis related or body build related?

Chassis will be a problem as it is steel - used in an environment where moisture is present.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 09:02:47 PM »
Our pumper has had rust in chassie and body as have most of the fleet in the south east due to foam and heavy water(salt). The group has spent a lot of money getting the rust cut out and fixed but I think we may as well rotate  our appliances around from this region to another after 5 years(MAY VIEW ONLY) We are seeing new appliances after 12 months with rust in the body and once it starts its cut and fix them up..... This is not a isolated case and I am sure CFS are working on these problems.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 11:41:09 PM »
Ceduna got a new appliance recently and its already offline with major electrical problems I hear :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Yeh that'd be why the latest batch of 34P's are taking so long to deliver...so jamestowns would also be offline or had alreeady been fixed.

*still counting down the days for ours  :-)*

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 05:38:56 PM »
Kangarilla 34's Isuzu is going bye bye tonight when they get a new Hino 34 delivered :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 07:39:48 PM »
Gday,

Are the trucks that have been built in the last few years going to last to 20 years?

Naracoorte Pumper - 9 Years old & full of rust

Stirling Pumper - 4? Years old & continual problems.

Seaford Pumper - 14? Years old Continual Problems (seems to be going well at the moment)

McClaren Flat 34 - 2 or 3 years old and has problems staying on all 4 wheels.

Was speaking to a GO down my way a few weeks back and he said the workman ship on the newer trucks is shocking.  The electrical system in the truck is useless - The water level indicator has 10 wires in the same tube all black! no colour coding.

And then you look at the appliances built 20 years ago like Burnside Pumper & Eden Hills Pumper.  Still going strong at 25 & 20 respectively.  Why is this?  New parts not as good?  Competition is greater therefore cheaper prices therefore lesser quality?

What are peoples thoughts?

The Naracoorte pumper body was manufactured from Ali - if it is rusting it would have to be the chassis rails?

Chassis rusting has been and will be an ongoing issue. Addressing the issues by having any requirements written in to the spec, at the time of tender, would help eliminate the issues.

The last lot of appliance I worked on have a 20Yr warranty on the plumbing - this was a requirement of the tender documentation and was designed and manufactured accordingly.

You only get what is asked for - no manufacturer will or can afford to do any more than that, or the price of the tended appliance would be to high.

Also, you may not realise it, but, there is not a lot of money to be made by manufacturing fire appliances. For the risks and hassels involved in making trucks, they deserve a hell of a lot more.

just my 10 cents worth.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!