Author Topic: Professions  (Read 23579 times)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Professions
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:52 PM »
I was just wondering that with the Emergency Services covering such a broad part of society,
What does everyone do for a job?
And how flexible are your employers?
(this is obviously not aimed at those employed by services...)

I'm a Primary School teacher, and I'm ok to go to callouts as long as there is cover.
Obviously my duty of care is to the kids,
But the kids love the fact that i might go racing out for a call...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Professions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
IT Network Technician in Adelaide city.
Company (EDS Australia) has "emergency services leave" if I receive approval from my Team Leader. This depends on current workload with EDS clients...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:25:59 PM »
Multi skilled fire tester(alarm testing /fire extinguishers  etc)  my boss is very good as basically I am my own boss but if I need time of for CFS i just call the office and so far they have been cool with it..Am sure that when we put on another guy later this year then I should be able to get a week of now and then to go on strike teams out of the region...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
Environmental Officer. I work for the state govt so I can get special leave for CFS call outs, as long as I clear it with my Manager. I also have to have a clear day following major incidents with MFS after hours, as long as I make up the time later.

One of the great things about CFS is the wealth and diversity of volunteers involved - I know an electrician, a painter, a gardener...come to think of it, a few more trades and I could get you lot to build me a house!!  :lol:

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 07:40:44 PM »
what colour would you like ya house blue??? let me guess BLUE :lol:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:53:57 PM »
Nah, it's been done already, someone in Sturt St already has a blue house  :cry:
What about fire engine red?
or being a greenie, perhaps a nice grass green  :lol:

But we digress.....  :roll:

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »
Use to work for a construction company. Could go pretty much anytime as long as it was a big job. For example strike teams, my boss use to own a house in the hills so understood the need.

Now I work in the fire industry and have been told by my employer that my number one responsibility for emergency response is my work.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 11:35:23 AM »
Spare Parts Manager, so as Manager of my department i say when i have to go. Managing Director is cool with that arrangement as i have several people under me to take up the load when i'm gone.

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
Student, and Woolworths Nightfill Manager.

School is great when it comes to fire calls, its just funny when i am actually responding to a private alarm at my own school during scholl hours...

Work is OK with it, there is an emergency services clause in my EBA that says i get paid for any time lost on presentation of a note from my oic. I generally dont leve during work hours though, becase I supervise 6 people and there is no one else to cover me. As for stike teams and large incidents i tell them that if they dont let me go i will resign, and it works!!!
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:34:57 AM »
Woolworths are very good when it comes to emergency service volunteers we have a couple of members in our brigade who work for them.Also they are happy to open the store after hours so as we can get food to feed members who are at call outs over night.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »
Teach people how to program Home Automation Systems, and take support calls when they have problems :D

Boss gets grumpy occasionally, but is generally cool as long as the office doesnt get left short staffed, and it doesnt happen toooooooo often.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:07:28 AM by Mike »

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 10:01:15 AM »
Coles were generally very good about my leaving for callouts, however, having moved recently into a Telecommunication Sales position its a little more difficult! Still get my 3 days a week as responding day crew, so all good! :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
How many brigade's / groups after the fire season give thank you letters or certificates to employers who let their staff attend call out over the busy season?? Or how many do the same with company's that go out of the way to help with food or supply's at silly hours of the day and night.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 11:11:16 AM »
How many brigade's / groups after the fire season give thank you letters or certificates to employers who let their staff attend call out over the busy season?? Or how many do the same with company's that go out of the way to help with food or supply's at silly hours of the day and night.

During SES Week, Unit's are encouraged to invite employers to LHQ's for a thank you night. Then the bosses/supervisors see the equipment and trucks. Hopefully they are impressed with the professionalism and extra knowledge/training given to their employees.

Employer certificates from SES SHQ have been available for over a year now.

I believe it is important to assist volunteers maintain relationships, so that they can continue being an volunteer. It is easier and costs less (time & money) to keep a volunteer, rather than recruit and train a new volunteer to replace the one you have lost.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Busted arse farmer. Essentially I work for myself.

If I'm in the middle of stock work, or something I can't get out of easily I don't go. But it's at my discretion & up to me to ensure what needs to get done is done. Fortunately most days I can get away as that's when we tend to be short of crew.

Letters are a good idea. We were going to get everyone to bring along something from work (sandwich board, sign, or whatever identified their employer, take a pic & the local rag was going to write a story thanking the businesses. Hasn't happened, but letters can be done quickly & easily.

And they can be a lot more personal . . . "thankyou for allowing Bob to leave work during the day to attend CFS/SES callouts. He's a valuable part of our crew . . . ". Everybody gets a warm fuzzy.

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »
I did an interview once with the local paper and made sure i said my Boss was supportive and understood the needs of the service, especially over the Fire Danger Season. :-D

Worked well was allowed to go to just about everything then!

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:41:09 PM »

Having an employer recognition night this Monday. BBQ, a few drinks and presentation of thankyou certificates.

Offline Jimmy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »
I work within the Department of Health (well their payroll anyway), as well as being a Uni student.

Depending where I look and who I ask I'm entitled to either 10(Standard SA govt), 15 or unlimited days to attend SES calls (or standby) and if I can do any part of a shift I need to apply for the leave but it doesn't come out of any quota. I only get my base rate covered and so lose any shift loadings (and 150% loading is quite a lot to lose)

Also entitled to 10 days a year of training courses (eg the USAR cat II)(Standard SA Govt rule)(But if I was doing USAR cat II I'd prefer to take the Senior Firefighter Pay I think)

I have never got anywhere near a quota (only left shift 4 times) and I can only leave if I'm not doing "Urgent or Essential" work... which late at night on a weekend I am.

Work gets a very formal "XXX was required from YYYY to ZZZZ for an emergency call-out on the xth of MONTH YEAR". There's a template on the UM's computer which gets filled out each time.

The boss generally would prefer I didn't go to call outs, mainly because other people don't think it's fair I get to leave, but one of the supervisors had a son with one of the units and people are gradually getting to know what I actually do so don't mind anymore.

Uni has no real policy, but you don't have to go to lectures anyway. If I were to have a practical or an assignment I would take a note and I'm sure they would be accommodating.

James

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 11:33:36 AM »
I'm a CSI working shift work. (including on call overnight for one week in 4)

When I am on "Response" (that is, the person who goes out & does the jobs that come in) I am the only one one, and hence can't really leave -  unless there is someone else who can take over for me ( that is someone who is working the same shift as me, on other duties for the shift - some shifts there are, some not).

When I am on "Non response" duties - days in the roster set aside for typing & catching up on work, then if I am not there,the only person it really affects is me (cos I don't get to catch up!)  If I got a call on days like that, I get Emergency Services Leave...I think I can have up to 10 a year.

My Supervisor is pretty good.. if he is on the same shift as me, then he will fill in my response shift for me...some of the others in the office not so willing to swap some response shifts....

The major dilemma for me is when I am on call, and we have a CFS call in the local area at say 3 am.    I have to be contactable - I have the on call work mobile phone, - which is generally diverted to the home number.....which works OK.  If I go to a call out, I can undivert the phone, but it is an Optus phone, and the mobile coverage in my area for Optus is worse than Telstra (which is pretty average at best)....so I have to carefully consider if I respond or not during those times....

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

probie_boy

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »
I work for green corps, which is through mission Australia.

Normally I'm too far away to respond as I work up at mt crawford/gumeracha area but if a strike team or something pops up with some prior notice I can respond no problems. Good thing for me is that mission oz is under Dept Workplace Relations (DEWR) and their emergency services leave comes into effect for me. I used this not too long ago when I attended the bridgewater fire.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »
I'm a CSI working shift work.

Is that in Miami Pip?  :-)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 06:23:30 PM »
who are you..........
who who
who who

probie_boy

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »
I could write some crude joke linking Pip to David Caruso here, but I won't. Pips too nice....and she would kill me if I did.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »
No, not Miami.   Besides, we are so good in in SA, that they named an American show after us!!    :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »
Intensive Care Paramedic / Operations Staff Officer in SAAS.  Work comes first for me with regards to Firecalls

As for professions check this out:

Now this is a job for me…….

Have a look at this!!!!

Check out the web site below..................turn up the volume so you
can hear the man talking..........  I know people do a lot of crazy things from helicopters but NOTHING like this!  Rated G

http://www.glumbert.com/media/highpower
James Gardiner
Belair CFS