Author Topic: Windscreens  (Read 14231 times)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Windscreens
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »
With some windscreens getting harder and harder to remove i'm just after some guidance from anyone on what manual tools (except for halligan tool already tried that, just a touch too messy) are out there that will cut through a laminated windscreen reasonably quickly.

I've heard of one brigade using a plasterboard cutter pretty effectively any other idea's :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »
One good way is to just avoid it completely, just cut all pillers including the 'A' piller and fold the roof forward on the windscreen and it will usually just pull out and you can then take the roof away windscreen and all....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
Yeah been trying a few things will give that a go next training :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 04:36:28 PM »
The SES use to issue a utility saw - it had a folding handle. very rugged and would be good for the job.

We had a excaliber (? spelling) air operated saw designed for laminated glass cutting - was still messy.

A laminated windscreen is vulcanized / glued into the car and dosent normally separate from the glass easily when doing a roof roll or a roof removal.
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:29:54 AM »
Just did my rcr coures a couple of weekends ago, we did not manage to get a single windscreen out!!!

We got told that we should tru to work around it, unless it is a H - mould, where you can just cut it out with a stanley knife.

If it is one of the ones that is glues in you can sometimes cut around it with a draw knife, but it is rather time consuming. and if the glue covers too much surface area, you amy need to use a screw driver to finish the job.

When working around it, the best way to do it is with a forward roof roll,
(cut B, C, D pillars, relief cuts both sides 10cm back from A pillar, and fold forward using crowbar to make crease in roof.)
or use an a-pillar lift to free legs from entrapment. (cut throgh Apillar complety just above sill level , cut a-pillar again just above dash, cutting through windscreen, open bonnet and cut relief cut in fender "c channel", cribb under sill inline with a-pillar, spread lowest cut on a pillar so as to lift the dash up and out of the way)

just remember your soft and hard protection!!!

One good way is to just avoid it completely, just cut all pillers including the 'A' piller and fold the roof forward on the windscreen and it will usually just pull out and you can then take the roof away windscreen and all....

just my opinion, but i would prefer to go for a forward roof roll... less chance of roof being drepped on casualty/ambo/anyone, same number of cuts, and windscreen remains in tact, obriously it may be impossible if it is car vs tree/ stobie head on, but in that case i would still prefer to halligan across the entire roof to keep the screen intact
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:35:11 AM by Pixie »
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
With inline extractions being the favoured way of getting patients by SAAS you shouldn't need to touch the windscreen if the situation allows it. The brigade that has the converted plaster board cutter is Aldinga, it is a fantastic piece of equipment, seen them use it, only takes a matter of seconds and it will cut through a windscreen, its very quick and no noise which is a plus for the patient. :wink:
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 08:54:21 AM »
Yeah knew it was aldinga one of your former members told me about it, were just looking at it as one of those what if's, forward roof rolls are the way to go nearly all the time but there's just that occaisional one where the whole lot has to go.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »
That wouldn't by any chance been Mr Turley would it, say giday to the big fella for me. Back on topic, if you know any plasters who might have a spare one lying around could be worth getting, they wouldnt take up a lot of room on the truck. Not sure what modifications they did to it though.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
Allan,there are a number of ways that this can be done CFA rescue brigade's have been using a plaster cutter for a number of years works well for them Look get in contact with corey at STC and ask about the DVD that was mailed out to all RCR brigade upskills officers if you did not get it mate... Its worth a look at and covers new car technology.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Plasterboard cutters (also advertised as rescue snips) are a very messy alternative (stand back and watch the glass dust). But readily available and it works.

Another option would be to use Air bags to gently 'pop' the window out of place. Works well on rear windows.. but now you've got me thinking of it - will try it next training and let you know.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:53:17 PM »
Not every RCR brigade has air bags and those that do have bought them themself.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »
Windscreens are easy leave them alone, why tie up one of your crew dealing with something that does not need to be removed. Not blowing my own horn I've been stationed at two CFS brigades that have attended a lot of bad MVA's and 99.9% of the time the front windscreen has been left in place.

Removing them is a hang up from the old days when all glass was removed as it was easy due to construction methods on the vehicles back then. Also you did not go to an R.C.R. course it was a V.A.R. course (vehicle accident rescue).

God I'm starting to sound like an old bloke! :-D

Offline vr_driver

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »
Yep, Rescue Snips. http://www.yourtasmania.com/rescuesnips/

I don't have time to respond correctly, but there are a nice tool to use. Very handy. But are dusty...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
We are taught laminated cut through the A's use as a hinge. Non laminated cut behind the A's fold roof forward. Haven't messed about cutting the mouldins for years. Just for the hell of it we have practiced with the recipro & the hooligan tool. But why bother?
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »
For sometime now I have seen photos of CFA and SES rescue in victoria no longer removing the windscreen unless its already smashed,i spoke to a friend in a CFA rescue brigade and he said its better just to leave it in and work around it.As we all know cars are getting more and more harder to get into to remove a person and with all the new SRS coming out its best to leave the windscreen in....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 08:18:16 AM »
Leave it in place... If it really needs to be cut and lifted off, Cut the A pillars and use an axe (yes a normal axe) to cut the windscreen. Works wonders.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

anything