Author Topic: Leaving School For calls  (Read 11983 times)

Offline Red Truck Wonderland

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving School For calls
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 07:56:52 PM »
I think that you should all get the blinkers off and consider how this behaviour affects other students.  How would you feel if, whilst your attempting to learn and deep in concentration a stupid pager goes off,  it would be like a mobile in a movie. i bet that really pisses you off. (now consider during the fire season, i know our station may rack up over 100 pages in a week,  most of bwhich are crap and shouldn't be sent at all.)

Red Truck Wonderland
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »
It does have a vibrate function or are you not familiar with yours yet?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »
put it on vibrate and create a secret code to tell the teacher that ur asking permission to leave the class for a cfs callout lol....then again if its something which will distract your classmates...it is distracting u from ur work  :wink:

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »
I think that you should all get the blinkers off and consider how this behaviour affects other students.  How would you feel if, whilst your attempting to learn and deep in concentration a stupid pager goes off,  it would be like a mobile in a movie. i bet that really filtered you off. (now consider during the fire season, i know our station may rack up over 100 pages in a week,  most of bwhich are crap and shouldn't be sent at all.)

Red Truck Wonderland

Don't generalise that "everyone" should get their blinkers off.. - Some agree that the practise of leaving school for a call or distracting everyone else isn't acceptable. - (On most levels)

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »
RescueHazmat, You're right the generalisation on my side was inapropriate, but i question the need for a students response in the first place. I also recognise that many CFS brigades don't have the unemployed pretend firemen that seem to frequent many urban fringe stations. Even our station  rely on the occasional student response to get a truck out the door.

RTW
You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »
I agree, during a school day, students shouldn't be leaving for calls.. - It is unfortunate some brigades rely so heavily on students actually doing this.. - However, as hypocritical as it will sound, I can also understand why this occurs in the more Rural / Remote areas.. - I may not agree, but yes, I understand why.

8-)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 01:53:29 AM »
Sometimes it just comes down to numbers,
THink about it in sport terms, 13 and 14 year olds shouldn't be playin against fully (and sometimes over) developed adults in senior football, but if they know there stuff and willing to do it, they are allowed to play senior footy, same thing goes.

If the consultation is done, students, parents and schools are aware of the processes that need to take place for this to occur and the learning of others isn't affected then go ahead.

As a teacher I wouldn't leave when I'm in the middle of the lesson, but it's a great way to get out of staff meetings... (just trying to learn how to set off tone 7 inconspiciously now and get out of a couple more meetings...)

rescue5271

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
To be fair we should not let younger members leave school for call outs,they should be getting a education and then once they have that education do something with it...They will and do have time for call outs after hours/weekend/school holiday...get a education then do what you like.Sooner or later they will not allow you to leave school for call outs...Having said that if its a large fire campaign type then seek permission and go

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 04:42:07 PM »
To be fair we should not let younger members leave school for call outs,they should be getting a education and then once they have that education do something with it...They will and do have time for call outs after hours/weekend/school holiday...get a education then do what you like.Sooner or later they will not allow you to leave school for call outs...Having said that if its a large fire campaign type then seek permission and go

With that logic, people shouldn't be leaving work for calls either -  they need to make a living and help keep the economy / their business growing. And perhaps students shouldn't respond to calls after hours until they've done their homework?

I seriously doubt attending CFS calls will damage someones education... (that's assuming they're not leaving school everyday).

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
Will enhance and give great life skills,  (Positive one hopes)

anything