General Discussion > Women of the Fire Industry

Why?

(1/5) > >>

oz fire:
Take off your CFS/Fire Service hat (ok Helmet) for a moment!

Now stand back as Joe Public at the scene of a fire and watch the fire fighters.........

what grabs your attention ...........

The way they do their job
What they do
What they do to help others and
How well they do it!!!!!!! :-D

Not - what sex they are, what colour they are, how old they are, what physical attributes they have!

Unfortunately some CFS members (as with many other services) bundle people into minorities - to stereotype them and make themselves feel comfortable.

The challenge to YOU is to break the mold - when we put on the uniform we are fire fighters and we all have areas of expertise and challenge.

The issue of male or female, black or white only becomes an issue if you let it.

So set the example and promote fire fighters - not stereotypes of fire fighters!  8-)

Firefrog:
I understamd the sentiment behind your post. Keep in mind that when a particular group of people are under represented and have a lot to offer, it is fair enough to have specific programs and benefits for the under represented groups.
The fire services have been very exclusive and to some may still seem that way, even though we know that all are welcome.

It's good to see the tide slowly changing and that we can support everyone.

CyberCitizen:

--- Quote from: oz fire on May 26, 2005, 01:29:47 PM ---what sex they are, what colour they are, how old they are, what physical attributes they have!
Unfortunately some CFS members (as with many other services) bundle people into minorities - to stereotype them and make themselves feel comfortable.
The challenge to YOU is to break the mold - when we put on the uniform we are fire fighters and we all have areas of expertise and challenge.
The issue of male or female, black or white only becomes an issue if you let it.
--- End quote ---

JamesGar:
Now I think this is a touchy subject, and possibly very damaging to the CFS and VFBA. For equity to exist in any organisation it need to firstly recognise it's shortcomings as an organisation, whether it's a volunteer emergency service or a multinational billion dollar company, in the areas of culture, gender, ethics, race, sexuality, and diversity. This should take place as a proactive procedure, not reactive or presumptuous. (That sound almost political in tone doesn't it?)

My believes as follows: 'If' the CFS/MFS has an appropriate code of conduct for its employees (including volunteers) it should cover all aspects of equity for gender, race, culture and creed in its mandate. Having stuctures in place like 'women in the cfs' may have benefit immediate needs of recognition of this group, but from an external point of few the fact that this group exist may mean to people that problems of gender exist, which I don't believe is the case!

I will stand infront, behind, next to any of my piers in the CFS regardless of there culture, gender, race, ethnisity, sexuality, believes because I believe we share some things in common. They are that we wear our uniform to protect our communities, friends and family in times of crisis, and that we do it without thanks, at all times and in all conditions.

Harassment  :x in the volunteer setting is a whole other topic and is rife through many organisations and dare I say probably in the CFS is certain areas

oz fire:
Thanks all for your comments - hopefully many more comment and read the posts and share the belief of a united service.

Could not agree more - we serve our communities, together. The graphic is excellent - this I have saved and will use. As for under represented groups in CFS there are MANY and MANY are not represented.

My belief, as with James and cyber citizen's posts - we stand together to protect our community - lets therefore stand united and recognise EVERYONE as a whole and not build silos - as silos often fill and then things (in this case people) are left out  :wink:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version