Author Topic: Metro CFS volunteers  (Read 23992 times)

Offline David

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • David
    • View Profile
Re: Metro CFS volunteers
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »
It all sounds promising but it'll be interesting to hear how the on going training is carried out after the initial course. Will they form there own groups or train with current brigades etc.
Maybe we could bring back Northfield  :lol:.
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »
They could train the SES metro crews????

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
Maybe we could bring back Northfield (Quote)

Yeah and Marion etc as well :-P 
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 08:48:26 PM »
They could train the SES metro crews????

Hmmm, cross-training would be logical...700+ SES volunteers in Central Region (Adelaide metro) already commited & trained as a team of emergency service volunteers & two one-day courses have already been completed at Meadows CFS.

But would we be able to assist on a CFS truck...unlikely given current politics.

This seems madness in politics to me....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline aust_fire1

• View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 06:48:16 AM »
I wonder how this may affect some of the smaller rural brigades that are at present called on to do taskings now.
 Some of those brigades have minimal calls during the year now and the task calls are helping them with call out stats.
 Every rural Group has a minimal call out brigade and in most cases those brigades in Groups are called on to do the taskings.
 Middleton Brigade is an example within the Mundoo Group, even Currency Ck falls in to that area to. Take away their taskings....Wonder what affect that may have...Maybe none, I dont know.
 Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »

It could effect them......but on a big fire.....every...firefighter there is 2 more hands to be used..

I just wish those misplaced firefighters.who have moved home for many reasons.like work etc.that cant join local CFS Stations due to closed books...could be utilised.....as they already are experienced ppl

I'm Backkkkkk....LOL

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »
Closed booked now there is one problem that needs to be removed,that way city people could join as seasonal firefighters and still have access to training and team work
blinky bill
my view only

Offline mattthefirey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »
the courses run at meadows were a basic familiarisation with fire appliances and had a few units from bff1 and suppress wildfire. the idea was that when ses are providing logistical support they would havemore of and idea about fire fighting and where not to be IE deadman zone,etc i think it is a great idea if the ses are willing to help go for it.

matt
my opinion only
my opinion only

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 03:31:20 PM »
the courses run at meadows were a basic familiarisation with fire appliances and had a few units from bff1 and suppress wildfire. the idea was that when ses are providing logistical support they would havemore of and idea about fire fighting and where not to be IE deadman zone,etc i think it is a great idea if the ses are willing to help go for it.

matt
my opinion only

I know of a few metro SES members who are now also members of a CFS brigade (be it Ops or active brigade). A few more are now considering the dual membership.

If you can't do it within the existing organisation restraints, then a volunteer will do it themselves...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 09:13:19 PM »
Comments removed - to be forwarded through the proper channels!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:37:16 AM by Pixie »
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

uniden

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »
Pixie, do you have a better idea to address the lack of interest in strike teams? There were fires last season where strike teams were considered for region 3 fires and interstate, but were canned due to lack of interest.
The metro cfs volunteers seems like a viable option to me. Or maybe hire some more seasonal firies like the NPWS do? They can then be used almost exclusively for strike teams etc, but this would cost quite a few dollars though.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2007, 06:14:15 PM »
Pixie, I wouldn't be verbally "bashing" the Cheif Officer of the service you are apart of, on such a public forum.. 

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
The lack of interest for interstate fires is probably unfounded as i know many volunteers weren't asked and i had the time available to go. (but mabey not the experience)

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:38:12 AM by Pixie »
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

uniden

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »
MFS firefighters do/are trained to fight bushfires, it is part of their ongoing training. But sending too many of them away is not an option as MFS in Adelaide doesnt have the numbers to spare.Hence all the ongoing recruiting.

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:38:35 AM by Pixie »
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I am just making my opinion heard, I will "verbaly bash" whoever I need to if it is in relation to any possible saftey hazards!! Can you honestly tell me that you would be happy having a firefighter on your truck who has had just one days training?? Im sorry, but I am not a big fan of baby sitting!!

I am sure there would be much better options, like not telling fireys NO when they ask to be put on an Appliance for a strike team?? how avbout training the MFS guys to fight bushfires, and then current cfs guys who can't spare a couple of days could then mnaby do shifts around the MFS station??

just MY OPINION

Pixie

I was always led to believe the internet is a form of media. This, being in the very public eye, could be considered a very active form of media. - You may want to go over a few policies/rules, particularly Section 22 (The old Red21)- in regards to what you say in the public arena. (High and low ranking members of all services read this, I can bet your bottom dollar Ministers & Chiefs Aids read this stuff, along with Commanders, Regional/District Officers, and everyone else).. - They may be "YOUR" views, however, you could land yourself in some rather hot water..

- I'm only letting you know as a friendly reminder..  - There are people on this forum who have stated they have gone through this in the past..  - Remember, whether you like what is going on or not, you are meant to be supportive of the service you represent. There are ways of putting forward what could be considered as rather disgruntled views, however publically bashing the Chief, and other services, is not the way to go about it. - And im not saying you may not have cause, im just saying I don't believe you are going about it the right way.

Tactful means are the way to go. . . -And remember, we are all here to do one job.. Save Lives.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 09:00:19 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 09:27:08 PM »
The coments might land him/her in the scheiße but it wont help the brigade either.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 03:47:05 PM »
It's alright, his brigade is already screwed anyway.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Baxter

• ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 12:03:37 AM »
From what I have seen so far in the debate on metro fighters some interesting points have been raised. I have allows been of the opinion that action speaks louder than words. Being a Brigade on the edge of a rural city with it very own MFS area means that all those wonderfull potential CFS volunteers have a choice of being a member of SES or no emergency service. Over the last year I have been slowly gaining volunteers from this city even though it is about 60 km away. These volunteers dare I be so bold are more active and more keen those that live my town to see the service grow. I just wish I can expand more into the regional city. I have conducted training with SES in the past and found that they are more than ready to help the CFS where ever they can. Maybe the answers in having lay some where in the middle having a support brigade that can transport the members to where they need to be and a kindred brigade that can provide them with and maintain their skills.

but then again these are my thoughts and opinions
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
So has the CO actually come up with a public outline of how he wants to do this.

I have heard that brigades in urban fringe would accept members from the city as one way and the other way is where there are a large number of older/refurb 24s sitting in a warehouse and the metrosCFS (as opposed to mets) would get an SMS to respond?

What ever happens there must be something done very quickly because training and organising these crew will take a good chunk of the time left before FDS.

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »
What ever happens there must be something done very quickly because training and organising these crew will take a good chunk of the time left before FDS.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested it will be happening within the next 12 months. There has been no money allocated in the budget for this program and as far as I can tell it is all still a dream in the mind of a couple of people in Waymouth Street.

If it it happens the earliest we would see anyone on the fireground would be late 2008 early 2009.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

pumprescue

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »
Got to love the Waymouth Street dreamers.........

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

I don't think anyone has ever suggested it will be happening within the next 12 months. There has been no money allocated in the budget for this program and as far as I can tell it is all still a dream in the mind of a couple of people in Waymouth Street.

If it it happens the earliest we would see anyone on the fireground would be late 2008 early 2009.
Recruiting has already started in certain areas.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

pumprescue

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 05:36:49 PM »
They can come and mop up my fires, so I can get my troops home and rested. Saves having to respond strike teams to mop up, taking resources and precious few available FF's out of area.