Author Topic: SASES Deployments to NSW 17/06/07  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
SASES Deployments to NSW 17/06/07
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »
Looks like there's some teams going over to NSW tommorow afternoon!

Eastern, Western, South, Campbelltown, Prospect, Sturt, TTG, is there any others going?

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: SASES Deployments to NSW 17/06/07
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:17:26 PM »
SES crews over there must be stuffed, Vic sent some up with the last lot that went through. We're not the only ones to get interstate deployments then. Good luck to them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:41:39 PM by 24P »
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »
SHQ: SIG INC: FYI: SES CURRENTLY LOOKING TO PROVIDE SES SUPPORT TO NSW, CFS CREWS MAY BE SOUGHT - NOTHING CONFIRMED AT THIS STAGE - TELECONFERENCE WILL BE CONVENED IF NECESSARY - FROM DSC MILLER < 17/06/2007 15:03:42
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Jimmy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »
Initial SA request was 60 persons: Chainsaw and storm damage crews. Leaving Monday PM and returning Thursday PM. I've also heard rumours (from the paging site so not very reliable) that there may be a second deployment later in the week.

Requests seem to have gone out accross the state (Loxton, South Coast etc) Got to balance having crews here to respond.

ABC news also said QLD were sending SES crews.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:33:42 PM »
Have also heard more inclement weather is on the way..  :|

Offline Dave O

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Sturt SES
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »
I'm off to NSW in the morning with the rest of the crews
Should be interesting

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 08:22:50 PM »
Well all the best to those SES members who are going to help.lets face it this is work that SES are very good at and they know what to do when it comes to storm damage...Dont forget to take lots of happy photos.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SASES Deployments to NSW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:31:26 PM »
Pager messages sent today regards nominations of SES volunteers on a second deployment to NSW. If this proceeds they will fly out on Friday for possibly three days.

SES are now 'yellow' status because of crew rotation.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
SES are now 'yellow' status because of crew rotation.

What does that mean? :|

[EDIT] I answered my own question...  You meant the SASES is now on yellow status because crewing is affected by the NSW deployment...

SIG INC: BE ADVISED SES STATE LEVEL OF PREPAREDNESS NOW AT YELLOW DUE TO NSW DEPLOYMENT FROM SDO
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:51:31 PM by CFS_Firey »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:50:51 PM »
20 June 2007 - 11:58 AM

Media Release : Update on SES Deployment to NSW

Update on SA SES Volunteers at NSW storms 12 noon Wednesday 20 June

On their first day in the storm ravaged Lake Macquarie area 60 South Australian SES Volunteers responded to more than 62 appeals for help from NSW residents in the storm damaged region. The extent of the damage for the series of storms has been so great that some 500 taskings (callouts from the public) were still outstanding when the South Australians started work yesterday.

NSW SES has been called to handle some 19,000 taskings over the weeks of this current storm period.

SA crews are using cranes and elevated work platforms to reach high damage and very large trees, they are also being required to do shoring for structural damage, some sandbagging and generally assisting local residents.

South Australia is preparing to send a second Taskforce of 60 SES Volunteers to respond to community needs over the weekend. Taskforce 2 Volunteers will depart on Friday to provide storm response alongside NSW SES and other emergency services.

With another severe storm lashing southern New South Wales at present, the actual location of their deployment is still to be determined. Taskforce 2 will handle taskings throughout the weekend and return to Adelaide on Monday.

The New South Wales Government will cover the cost of both deployments, including flights and accommodation for our SES Volunteers, and will also provide vehicles, equipment, communications and drivers for the SA SES teams.

"We are really pleased to be able to help NSW when they need us and the opportunity for our Volunteers to work with NSW SES in extreme conditions is valuable too." said Taskforce Commander Derren Halleday.

"Spirits are high within our crews and the focus is on safety. The local residents have experienced so much hardship in recent weeks and they are glad to see us here helping out " he said.

"SA SES has only been deployed interstate on one previous occasion and that was for the Sydney hailstorms." Said Halleday.

SA SES Taskforce 1 is expected to return to Adelaide in two groups, on Thursday, June 21 and Friday June 22.

Taskforce 2 will depart Adelaide on Friday June 22.
Andrew Macmichael

uniden

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:20 PM »
Its fine to send people away if you can spare them. But if you cant shouldnt they stay?
For example Adelaide Hills SES got a job to Milang the other day...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 08:56:37 PM »
You can not stop people going,if people want to give up there time and life to go help others then good on them,in some cases its very rare that SES are going to any where outside of the state. As for the call at Milang then that's a issue that should have been taken care of at SESHQ with coverage,could not the CFS have attended?? To those going to NSW go and do your best and make the people of NSW see the other side of the Volunteer's ,sure they will welcome and thank you like they have done in the past to CFS/MFS.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Benji

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:04 PM »
Its fine to send people away if you can spare them. But if you cant shouldnt they stay?

That reason ADH was sent to Milang had nothing to do with crews in NSW as the local unit only had one member on the task force.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:41:32 AM »

That reason ADH was sent to Milang had nothing to do with crews in NSW as the local unit only had one member on the task force.

Milang SES has been struggling for volunteers for awhile. Central VSO is working with the SES Unit.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:03:37 AM »
Milang SES dont exist ;) ( :lol: That could be why they are struggling for numbers :D ;)  :lol:)

Milang is covered by Strath, and like most places, they struggle with daytime crewing numbers.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »
Milang SES dont exist ;) ( :lol: That could be why they are struggling for numbers :D ;)  :lol:)

Milang is covered by Strath, and like most places, they struggle with daytime crewing numbers.

Whoops, I thought you were talking about Meningie......... :-)
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »
20 June 2007 - 16:30 PM

Media Release : SA SES Volunteers Update on NSW Storms

More Details on Taskforce Two

The second Taskforce of 60 Volunteers has been selected from SES Units across South Australia to travel to assist NSW SES responding to storm damage around the Lake Macquarie region.

Volunteers in both Taskforces have accredited training in Basic Rescue, First Aid, Chainsaw and Storm Salvage and most are very experienced Rescuers with long-term experience in SES.

Taskforce 1 Volunteers, who left Adelaide on Monday and are completing their second day in Lake Macquarie area, responded to more than 62 taskings to help residents in the storm ravaged region yesterday. They are continuing to use cranes and elevated work platforms to reach high damage and very large trees, and are also undertaking shoring for structural damage, some sandbagging and generally assisting local residents.

SA SES Taskforce 1 will return from NSW to Adelaide in two groups, 15 Volunteers on Thursday, June 21 and the remainder on QF 759 arriving at 1605 CST Friday June 22.

Taskforce 2 Volunteers will depart on Friday to provide storm response alongside NSW SES and other emergency services throughout the weekend at Lake Macquarie. They will return to Adelaide on Monday June 25.

Taskforce 2 at Lake Macquarie will be Commanded by Scott Turner (Commander of East Region - Riverland and South East) and Richard Coombe from SES State Headquarters. Commander Matt Maywald is the Interstate Emergency Incident Liaison Officer at SES State Headquarters in Wollongong.

Taskforce 2 members have been provided from Units including Loxton, Sturt (Coromandel Valley), Noarlunga, Port Lincoln, Whyalla, Berri, Mt Gambier, Renmark, Bute, Enfield, South Coast (Victor Harbor), Tea Tree Gully, Campbelltown, Metro South (Lynton), Western Adelaide, Adelaide Hills and Prospect.

Taskforce 2 will depart Adelaide on Friday June 22. (time to be confirmed)
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »
Two groups of 60 SES volunteers and 4 staff were flown to NSW for
three day deployments. The media release below is for the second
taskforce returing to Adelaide.

The first taskforce returned on Thursday/Friday.

-------------------------------------

Media Release : Welcome home the SES stormfighters

SES Volunteers return from NSW Taskforce deployment

Qantas flight arriving at Adelaide Airport at 1605, Monday June 25.

60 SES Volunteers and 4 SES staff are returning today from the Lake
Macquarie district where they have provided storm response assistance
to the local community.

Volunteers from SES Units at Port Lincoln, Whyalla, Berri, Mt
Gambier, Renmark, Bute, Sturt (Coromandel Valley), Enfield, Tea Tree
Gully, Campbelltown, Metro South (Lynton), Western Adelaide (Brooklyn
Park), Adelaide Hills (Mt Barker), Noarlunga, and staff from the
State Headquarters in Waymouth Street are included in the returning
group.

South Australia has now completed its agreed Volunteer Taskforce
involvement in New South Wales. They handled storm response such as
removing trees from houses, shoring structural storm damage and
sandbagging to support exhausted NSW SES crews meeting calls for help
from local residents.

Media opportunity at Adelaide Airport, arrivals on QF759 ex Sydney at
1605, Monday 25 June.

For media information call Judith Bleechmore on <mobile telepgone #>

Click on the URL below to go to the full text of the message

http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/newmedia/articleDetail.asp?pArticleID=31
Andrew Macmichael

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:15 PM »

?

How is it any differant to CFS doing an interstate deployment?

geez... we better not do those anymore, cos we might get jobs back here at the same time...

uniden

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Look after your own backyard first!!!!

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 07:16:09 PM »
I know I'm a bit late on this, however as one of those who went with the second deployment and had the honor of leading one of the composite teams I just had to respond (couldn't help my self :wink:). As I said in another post we tackled & completed tasks that the other states wouldn't. Favourable comments were made by NSW at our level of training & skill.
So from my understanding, you don't support CFS/MFS strike teams going interstate. Therefore you also don't support interstate Emergency Services coming here to support us when we need it. So you believe that the fire services won't need help this summer, or when another cyclone Tracy hits stuff em!
That would be the same as not sending a team to Adelaide during a major emergency, or not sending search teams out side of our area to help other areas.
Thats not why I joined the emergency services! I honestly believe that we all live in one country & if we are ever asked again to go interstate - I will be in it. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
MFS/CFS interstate deployments interstate have occured in the past,  only to be halted because of what we face in our own backyard.    I certainly remembering CFS doing its part earlier in this decade, over in NSW.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 07:45:24 PM »
Your right Zippy, and if possible should happen again! As long as there is enough cover at home why not. And many years ago when I was with a federal department we got sent to Myrtleford/ Bright area in the Victorian snow fields the incident was called Ash Wednesday fires and again it was important to assist the local guys. Any way thats my thoughts cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
People seem to think that interstate fire service deployments are limited to fire fighting. I can guarantee that if you had a major structural collapse here in Adelaide, we would be screaming for the USAR capabilities of the NSW DART boys. Just like Vic and NSW scream for SACFS when the scheiße hits the fan during summer in their states.

There is nothing wrong at all with interstate co-operation.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »
Same as other major disasters interstate. Interestingly you mention USAR which is what SASES has done since day one (civil defence days)- disaster rescue(with minor changes. So if a twin towers type event were to happen interstate e.g. Sydney you would see multi agency deployments. Thats how Australia works, its also why Nationally SES is adopting common training. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

anything