Author Topic: Pt Pirie radio advert for MFS  (Read 2885 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Pt Pirie radio advert for MFS
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
I was in Port Pirie on Wednesday night & listening to the local FM radio station.

I was surprised when I heard a commercial advert on the radio advertising positions vacant at the country MFS stations. This was for retained & full-time crew.

I had assumed the MFS recruit courses were over subscribed. Does this mean that they have problems gaining country based staff, but are full in metropolitan areas ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

uniden

Re: Pt Pirie radio advert for MFS
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:33:52 PM »
Full time recruiting is pretty much always done through the intake in Adelaide even for Pirie vacancies. There are often vacancies for regional stations for part time firie positions. These people are recruited on a regional basis and dont do the 14 week recruit course. The majority of their training is done on a regional level.

uniden

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
It can still take up to 6 months for someone to start as a retained firefighter from the time they apply. By the time they do a written test, physical, medical, police check and interview and then get accepted. Some people are not as keen to join when they find out how many calls a year some of the stations do and get scared off.

Offline Jules4

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »
The advert called for "Permanent part-time" firies - I took that to be retained crew not full-time. But I don't know for sure.