Author Topic: Interesting Fire and Emergency Related Paging  (Read 4559424 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Fire and Emergency Related Paging
« Reply #1175 on: August 31, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »
MFS: *CFSRES INC049 30/08/08 18:48,RESPOND RCR,JENNINGS DR,ASHTON MAP 133 K 2 TG126,CAR ROLLOVER PERSON TRAPPED,SUMM00 CFS Summertown Response

12 mins till a rescue appliance was even considered...but later on was not required...

*subtlely shakes head*.....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:21:50 AM by Zippy »

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 31, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »
minor detail  :-o
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:45 AM »
MFS: *CFSRES INC054 30/08/08 19:24,RESPOND RUBBISH FIRE,BLACK TOP RD,HILLBANK MAP 62 D 13 TG182,NEAR JOE GAPPER PARK WITH ELZ 331 MULCH,HEAP,TTGY19 CFS Tea Tree Gully Response
Bit of drive for the Gullly boys.
But then,
MFS: *CFSRES INC054 30/08/08 19:30,RESPOND RUBBISH FIRE,BLACKBURN RD,HILLBANK MAP 62 C 8 TG182,WITH 331 NEAR FIRE TRACK JOE GAPPER PARK,OTHL00 CFS One Tree Hill Response
Same call but still not the correct brigade.
I suppose when in doubt, guess the response hey. :|
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 31, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »
MFS: *CFSRES INC049 30/08/08 18:48,RESPOND RCR,JENNINGS DR,ASHTON MAP 133 K 2 TG126,CAR ROLLOVER PERSON TRAPPED,SUMM00 CFS Summertown Response

12 mins till a rescue appliance was even considered...but later on was not required...

perhaps something to do with the 000 call not quite matching what the first paramedic found on arrival??

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 31, 2008, 01:02:45 PM »
Well its either One Tree hill or Salisbury,  for such a low priority job, id say one tree hill with Elizabeth would be the best response.

Salisbury MFS looked like it had been called to a RCR at Brahma Lodge at the time.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »

perhaps something to do with the 000 call not quite matching what the first paramedic found on arrival??

Nah im more concerned about how the Operator managed to type  "Persons Trapped" in the message,and wasnt aware that he/she didnt include a Rescue brigade, and for such a long delay to realise that fact.

another case of > Address, Type, Details, Transmit...not review the response plan.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 31, 2008, 02:52:19 PM »
Well its either One Tree hill or Salisbury,  for such a low priority job, id say one tree hill with Elizabeth would be the best response.

Salisbury MFS looked like it had been called to a RCR at Brahma Lodge at the time.
Bit of a longish drive for OTH being at the bottom of the hills face, going by what ive seen on the pager site Salisbury CFS seems to do responses into that area, anyway obviously a fill in upstairs last night?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 31, 2008, 03:42:39 PM »
meh, its only a matter of kilometres, unlike distances out in the sticks...

pumprescue

« Reply #1183 on: August 31, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
Yes pretty p iss poor that after over a year now they still don't pay attention, how can you write persons trapped and not add a rescue, for goodness sake !

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 31, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »
its like the left arm doesnt know the right arm!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 01, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
Yet another advantage of Group taking ownership of the call immediately & managing subsequent response. And/or corrections.  :lol:
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 01, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »

I must be missing something important here.... the typing in the pager message that persons trapped is to CFS response.

If you are accusing SAAS ComCen then I do not understand the comments made. The SAAS just page a response priority don't they, not incident details !!! The extra details is via radio.

Or is Summertown CFS not a RCR brigade. If not, why did they not query the resources when the truck rolled ?? Or maybe they did & that was the 12 min delay !!

Not much detail given & a lot of people complaining on this forum. You will not never have the full details of the incident call receipt & dispatch issues from a 'pager website'..

** my opinion only **
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »

Dare I suggest that there was a mistake in the "Person Trapped" part of the message, or that they were informed "Person ok, but having issues getting the door open" trapped yes, but needing a full RCR turnout, maybe no. We don't know all the details.

Relax....
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 01, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »
ah fook it...let's just send everything we've got to every VA that we get called to......

....that way you lot on here won't have anything to whinge about.....not from the alleged lack of action on Adelaide Fire or SAAS Comms part (or whoever else you want to blame....) .....but because you won't have time to do anything else than go belting around the country-side in your little white tonka trucks to VA's!!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:33 AM »
ah fook it...let's just send everything we've got to every VA that we get called to......

....that way you lot on here won't have anything to whinge about.....not from the alleged lack of action on Adelaide Fire or SAAS Comms part (or whoever else you want to blame....) .....but because you won't have time to do anything else than go belting around the country-side in your little white tonka trucks to VA's!!

Then you'll have the vollo coast guard angry that THEY don't get a call!

pumprescue

« Reply #1190 on: September 02, 2008, 12:41:10 AM »

All I can say is I hope I never crash.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:00:28 AM by pumprescue »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 02, 2008, 12:43:35 AM »

Dare I suggest that there was a mistake in the "Person Trapped" part of the message, or that they were informed "Person ok, but having issues getting the door open" trapped yes, but needing a full RCR turnout, maybe no. We don't know all the details.

Relax....

To be fair what everyone is commenting about is the fact it was a single brigade response to a "RCR" page with no "Rescue" resource added.Person ok, but having issues getting the door open is a little bit of a grey area, considering information is coming from the public.....if I received a page for an "RCR" and noticed it only had a single appliance response I would be asking for a Rescue resource straight away.Better to cover all the bases than having to wait longer, and as we know sometimes when it's time critical the outcome is not always good.Stop call never hurt anyone :wink:

There have been many occassions when the Fire Service has not been called to MVA's and it wont be the last.
Images are copyright

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 02, 2008, 12:46:21 AM »
Isn't this more a case of an SOP not being followed?

Unless things have changed recently, if CFS is responded to a report of a crash, then a primary brigade AND a rescue brigade is sent...regardless of whether there are reports of persons trapped or not....?

This morning, I called in a crash - via SAPol.   I made it clear that there was no one in the crashed vehicle, and no occupant around.  The call taker advised that they would send CFS & ambulance...which they did.

The response was the local brigade, AND the nearest Rescue...just like the SOP says so.....

So what I can't understand is the inconsistency of the responses...  :|

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 02, 2008, 12:52:46 AM »
To be fair what everyone is commenting about is the fact it was a single brigade response to a "RCR" page with no "Rescue" resource added.Person ok, but having issues getting the door open is a little bit of a grey area, considering information is coming from the public.....if I received a page for an "RCR" and noticed it only had a single appliance response I would be asking for a Rescue resource straight away.Better to cover all the bases than having to wait longer, and as we know sometimes when it's time critical the outcome is not always good.Stop call never hurt anyone :wink:

There have been many occasions when the Fire Service has not been called to MVA's and it wont be the last.

To be fair, far often we jump all over the comms operators without knowing what was going on. For all we know, the call may have come from the occupant of the car, rather than some retarded passerby. I understand what you are saying and if I had been OIC of Summertown, I would have queried rescue resource response. Oftentimes we have pages from comms where MVA/RCR are used interchangeably. As a crusty old Snr. Firey once told me "Don't interrogate the pager, just get to the station" I swear some people on this forum want a full patient history, dimensions of car/building as well as pictorial description of the surrounding area on the pager. I wish that people on these forums wouldn't second guess our comms operators all the time and trust me, I know all about the Fire Service being not turned out or incorrectly turned out to MVA's.

When will the impotent whining stop?!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:36 AM »

There have been many occasions when the Fire Service has not been called to MVA's and it wont be the last.

To be fair, far often we jump all over the comms operators without knowing what was going on. For all we know, the call may have come from the occupant of the car, rather than some retarded passerby. I understand what you are saying and if I had been OIC of Summertown, I would have queried rescue resource response. Oftentimes we have pages from comms where MVA/RCR are used interchangeably. As a crusty old Snr. Firey once told me "Don't interrogate the pager, just get to the station" I swear some people on this forum want a full patient history, dimensions of car/building as well as pictorial description of the surrounding area on the pager. I wish that people on these forums wouldn't second guess our comms operators all the time and trust me, I know all about the Fire Service being not turned out or incorrectly turned out to MVA's.

When will the impotent whining stop?!

Spot on numbers..

A typical case of people jumping up and down over a pager message, that had NOTHING to do with them..

Boy, technology is great thing, sometimes, a little too great!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 02, 2008, 01:02:57 AM »
But you need to be very careful about trusting implicitly the information obtained from members of the public, about what is actually going on!!

I go to many jobs on a daily basis in my work - and often find the information given by the public, and what has / is actually occurring are very different.

That is why there are SOP's.... and in the case of CFS, we have have an SOP for what resources to send to particular incidents, so the call takers and dispatchers don't have to try & take guesses at what (and who) to send!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 02, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »
Simple tell all the services to stick to the SOP's and send what is required by them,then everyone on here can rest their typing fingers and stop having a whinge :-P
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:10 AM »
But you need to be very careful about trusting implicitly the information obtained from members of the public, about what is actually going on!!

I go to many jobs on a daily basis in my work - and often find the information given by the public, and what has / is actually occurring are very different.

That is why there are SOP's.... and in the case of CFS, we have have an SOP for what resources to send to particular incidents, so the call takers and dispatchers don't have to try & take guesses at what (and who) to send!!

Pip

Pip is spot on about why i brought this up.   Would be nice, if Paid Staff did a lot more administrative work for brigades, but really also, help us have a easier time doing operational stuff (ensuring correct responses every time, more than enough is better than too little)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:54:01 AM by Zippy »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 02, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »

Dare I be cynical enough to suggest that people who get angry with the public for this should remove their blinkers!?

here I was thinking professionalism was about doing your job and not getting cranky with the public and their lack of knowledge about what anyone involved in a "professional" (sic) public service capacity does!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 02, 2008, 11:25:14 AM »
I'm not angry at the public - just stating that what some tell emergency services about what is happening, is quite different to the situation occurrung.

Occasionally it is malicious / mischievous, but more often it is because they have only had a quick glance at the situation as they drive past, and report what they see - which is only a very small part of the incident....or in a panic over the situation, and can't tell you much about what is actually occurring, or they get second hand info, to ring through to the emergency service, without actually being there.

If we talk specifically about road crashes, there was one recently, a single car vs pole, one occupant, trapped and DOA.

There were at last 5 different callers who rang in, and got 5 different versions of the crash.   One said there were 2 cars, 5 people trapped, 2 dead, one really bad, and that the cars had been drag racing.  Another said two trapped, several cars involved.

It was all the same crash.  The other cars supposedly in the crash were passersby who had stopped to assist (and hadn't crashed at all).  The 5 people supposedly trapped where the passersby who were trying to help, and had not been involved in the crash.  There had been no drag race.

People's perceptions vary, depending on a wide range of factors, and reasons.  In this case, it appeared that SAPol and SAAS took the information based on the worst case scenario, and sent appropriate resources based on that information (I guess MFS did, but their pager messages don't show, so I can only assume they also responded appropriately - no reason to suggest they didn't)

While you have to go with what people tell you,  until emergency services arrive to assess, you have to carefully consider what the public tell you, and put appropriate procedures in place to take into account the information you receive.  Hence part of why we have SOP's!

Pip