Author Topic: CFS, 7 news 6 pm tonight  (Read 26127 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CFS, 7 news 6 pm tonight
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
I believe my Dad rang CFS about Rapid numbers and getting one a couple of times and has never had any luck with person who answered.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
I believe my Dad rang CFS about Rapid numbers and getting one a couple of times and has never had any luck with person who answered.

That's because no one knows which agency is responsible for it, hence the change.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »
Local Council's deal with Rapid plates i believe.

pumprescue

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »
We asked about the property identification in one of the CAD meetings, we were told that SA is going through the rural property ID thing, and it will form part of CAD (more like CAD spurred them to do it) so someone can ring, quote the number of their property an get a turn out.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
Local Council's deal with Rapid plates i believe.

I think it would depend on where you are...in my area, it was the CFS who  worked out the Grid Reference, and sold the plate tho the land owner...it was also used as a fundraiser in my area....can't speak for other areas tho'

The dilemma you have now, if you want a Rapid Plate, is that the datum point has changed, and all of the current Rapid plates are a few hundred metres out, (assuming they were correct in the first place)... if you get a new plate, do you go on the old datum point (which I believe is still used in UBD street directories) or the new datum point, which is used in the CFS map books...?    :|

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

rescue5271

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
We do the grid ref number and give it to the householder who then gets the local sign writer to do the plate,,as for SA going to the new rapid system  i understand that we have not agreed on it yet as there are some issues with it and that SA is the only state that has a good system already in place..But then again we may not have been consulted on that one also

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2007, 04:54:05 PM »
The other problem is that you have to get the number plates from WA, as the govt banned anyone other than the current contracted supplier from making plates hence why Adelaide Numberplates is no more.

Anyway how is that petition going re the lack of consultation with CFS.
Images are copyright

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »
We asked about the property identification in one of the CAD meetings, we were told that SA is going through the rural property ID thing, and it will form part of CAD (more like CAD spurred them to do it) so someone can ring, quote the number of their property an get a turn out.

That's still a very MFS/urban-thinking way of looking at it.
Assumes that the caller :
a] is the property owner at the location
b] knows the correct name of the street and
c] knows which township to quote for locality
The system just doesn't cope well with the traveller between towns on their mobile phone.  Which pretty much encapsulates the turn-out accuracy issues we currently experience via MFS comms (& have done so for some years - the Minister has no excuse for not knowing about that).
Who remembers the ambos in the film "The Road to Nhill" ?

A grid reference, even if it is 250M out, is soooo much more exact.
But whatever its shortcomings, the new system is the new national standard.
It _will_ be implemented. 
Somehow we have to make it work for us.
Hopefully one or two clever minds have been directed to do just that.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.