Technical Discussion > Hypotheticals

USAR

(1/4) > >>

bittenyakka:
The horrible bridge collapse in the US made me wonder about a couple of things.

In Adelaide a structure has collapsed it is(was) a 3 story concrete building with  a car park underneath and it is known that people are trapped in the rubble. 

now it is equal distance from CFS and MFS stations so it doesn't matter what service is responded.
Obviously the first crews to arrive will do what they can to protect extremities and any easily accessibly rescues whilst remaining safe. Now my main question is once the site had been deemed a recovery and not a rescue who job is it to recover any  casualties?

and Is there anything taught in USAR that should make me Tell my Crews NOT to move rubble etc. even if people are visible and screaming at them?

Alan (Big Al):
As tempting as it is I wouldn't be moving anything until a USAR trained service was there as that type of thing can be extremely unstable, if you were the first crew on scenean non USAR trained i would go into protection mode and help anyone who isn't trapped etc.

uniden:
If it is in the metropolitan area it would matter who was responded. MFS have personnel trained in USAR as well as equipment in PODS etc to deal with it.

RescueHazmat:
Either way, SES would get called.. - And possibly the national USAR team (the group trained in the advanced USAR stuff) if it was major.. (SAAS SOT, STAR Force, etc etc)..

If it was huge, you may even see defence force involved to help out... - Alot of agencies would be utilized..

Red Truck Wonderland:
With an incident of that size!  You wouldn't have time to scratch you donkey, net alone complete your sceene assessment, and SA has a capable USAR Team with member in SAAS, SES and MFS,  the state usar training is expanding with more and more involved,  another three week course is planned later this year!!  they simulate just that senario so they are well prepared!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version