Author Topic: Who are "firies?"  (Read 11781 times)

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Who are "firies?"
« on: August 16, 2007, 05:00:47 PM »
Am a bit curious to find a definition of "firie".  :?

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Who are "firies?"
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »
I would of thought a Fire Fighter be they paid or vollie or retained.

aka someone who puts out fires!    :lol:

Those that work on red trucks know the saying "its gotta be red"  (red rooster commercial)

Offline alphaone

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 05:53:13 PM »
I would of thought a Fire Fighter be they paid or vollie or retained.

aka someone who puts out fires!    :lol:

Those that work on red trucks know the saying "its gotta be red"  (red rooster commercial)

I agree with you Crank, too me a fire fighter is a firie. In my opinion, it does not matter whether you are a paid, volly or retained, we are all firies and ALL PROFESSIONALS.

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
Perhaps you should consult a dictionary so you can look up "professional".
You are only kidding yourself.

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 06:05:16 PM »
I think it depends on the situation where its being used.
If you are using it amongst other CFS vols, i think its fine. But if you are using it in a social or work situation out side of CFS as an introduction i would think its a bit out of place for people to be going "Hi im Bill im a firie", probably more appropriate to say "Hi im Bill, im a School teacher, and a member of my local CFS brigade"
I have been out before and met people who have introduced them selves as "firies" when questioned where at they say "(insert some CFS brigade here)". They sounnd like a bit of a Ming

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 06:10:37 PM »
Well 24pumper I am a firie, that is an employee of a Fire Service (full time and professional).
If any CFS member introduces himself to me as a "firie", I will ask him what his real job is, then clarify that they are in fact a "VOLUNTEER" Firefighter.

Offline Red Truck Wonderland

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »

Am a bit curious to find a definition of "firie".  :?

BHPESO started a thread about when a FF could call themselves qualified.  I’m like you, find it really amusing the amount of pretend Fire fighters about. They really need to look at the real world and realise the only reason they are there is because the government is using them as free labour,

With all the crap that goes about on here, it's just jealousy. We who get paid are ultimately real.  No need to hide the, on the dole, or trolley collector job.

You need to get a life outside of the CFS. Go outside, look around. I'm sure trailer parks smell lovely in the morning.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »
In answer to red truck, the idea that the volunteers are just out of work wanna Be's is a little bit harsh, i would like to be a paid firey but at this point it has not happened, i would have then liked to be a volunteer firey but due to my location i cannot be, i just want to serve and protect my community, what vis your driving factor, do you do the job because you want to protect the public or do you just do it because you enjoy the time off?
I just want to help

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »
Gasman, you would be one of the few with good intentions. Most want to build a little empire, and unfortunately the ACT allows this to happen, AT THE MOMENT, however SAFECOM my change this!!! :evil:

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
is safecom the controlling body these days? Are they the ones in charge of recruitment as well?

I just want to help

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »
Can all this filtered-Stiring stop please????   All the sudden there seems to be 2-3 members of this forum, who see it fit to just fill conversations with filth....STOP.    Get back to your job at hand, especially IF YOU ARE ON DUTY.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 10:04:05 PM by Dezza »

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 09:31:11 PM »
Dezza - they might just be 1 person with multiple accounts, has happened before. But i must admit they "claim" to be professionals, but dont act like it. Besides, who do they call when it gets all too much for them (and it doesnt take much)? The CFS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:33:14 PM by safireservice2009 »
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

uniden

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
Do you know you are just lowereing yourself to their level by throwing insults back?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

Interesting to note:

Professional \Pro*fes"sion*al\, n.
   A person who prosecutes anything professionally, or for a
   livelihood, and not in the character of an amateur; a
   professional worker.
   [1913 Webster]

And:

professionally
     adv : in a professional manner; "professionally trained staff"

So according to a dictionary, a "professional", in addition to someone who is paid for what they do, is someone who does the job just as well as the professional...

:)

Offline NotRedAdair

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:31 PM »
If you think the CFS deliver service to the standard of the SAMFS you are living in Disneyland.
Why dont you have a look at the statistics, you cant bullshit them!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:58:35 PM »
If you think the CFS deliver service to the standard of the SAMFS you are living in Disneyland.
Why dont you have a look at the statistics, you cant filtered them!

If you got the same budget as us you wouldnt either :-P
Images are copyright

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »
Do you know you are just lowereing yourself to their level by throwing insults back?
Not insults, just observations.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
NRA - in my opinion a 'firie' is a firefighter whether they be vollunteer, retained or paid-fulltime. all of those types of 'firie' can be professional, although all three types also show a complete lack of professionalism at  times as well... (this could be any number of things, following SOPs, wearing of correct PPE, not acting like a tool on the job, etc)..

if someones 'paid profession' is as a firefighter, then im sure everyone would agree that they should introduce themselves as a firefighter. i should hope that vollunteer firefighters dont go around saying "hi im bob, im a firefighter" (insinuating that they are paid-fulltime) as this does make them seem like a tosser as far as im concerned.

RTW -
With all the crap that goes about on here, it's just jealousy. We who get paid are ultimately real.  No need to hide the, on the dole, or trolley collector job.

unfortunately i think all the problems along these lines on this forum are caused by the paid firies bashing vollunteers of both SES and CFS... i havent seen any cfs members on here start the flinging dirt around (except possibly for the seaford/mfs thread). it would be nice if we could all act nicely and realise we all do the same job to protect our own areas, whether we are paid or not hopefulyl we all have the same objective in mind, protect life and property.

also... trolley collector job? lol, u crack me up mate.

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »

You have to wonder about professionalism when you have someone with less than eloquent linguistic skills representing an organization with juvenile remarks designed to "stir the pot" on a public forum.

Does your station have very low call rate? Is it difficult to find something worthwhile to do? Perhaps it's time to remove some of the troglodyte mentality, or go back to your cave and be quiet.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:02:54 AM by Smallflame »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »
If we need payment to be considered "Professional" then "Thanks" from the communities we volunteer to serve and protect is payment enough for us.
Images are copyright

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 04:35:23 PM »
If we need payment to be considered "Professional" then "Thanks" from the communities we volunteer to serve and protect is payment enough for us.

SA Firery, I agree with you, the thanks from the community is all the payment I need. I am a young person and in a break from the norms for young adults these days, I enjoy giving up my time to help protect and serve my community. At all times when I am in any way identified as a member of the SACFS, I am professional in both my appearance and manner. I do not wish to be payed for what I do, because I believe it is good to help people out. Maybe one day I will consider joining the SAMFS, but at this stage, I enjoy being a volunteer.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
good on you alphaone, nice to see the youth of today is not all about themselves but still willing to help out where they can.
Two thumbs up from me.!
I just want to help

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 07:24:22 PM »
You could call all of us firies, then split into vollo and permo...

As long as by vollo you don't mean retained...

I agree with the people here saying that if you're a Volunteer firie, you shouldn't really be introducing yourself as a "Firie" Its like the neighborhood watch introducing themselves as coppers.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
the way i see it...."we" members of a "Fire/Rescue" service...all do the same tasks.  Met's dont hold a hose any different to us rural and urban-fringe folk  :lol:.  Sure us volunteers may not be doin it for $$$$....we do it for perhaps something more important....each and every volunteer has their explainations of why they have volunteered to do the job that no one else does when someone is in need of urgent help.

MET or Volunteer, Paid or Unpaid, Male or Female, we are Firefighters. And we help the community.  :-) 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 07:39:14 PM by Dezza »

rescue5271

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 08:43:49 PM »
Well a firefighter can be a paid fulltimer who has taken that path in life where they get paid to provide a service...A volunteer firefighter is a person who has a full time job but gives their time freely to the local community to provide a service and in return they ask for no payment but just a simple thank you...

Mind you There are a number of MFS members on here who are volunteers themselfs....

anything