Author Topic: StabFast  (Read 12370 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
StabFast
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:48:22 PM »
So as to not take the SES thread too far off topic:

How is the StabFast better/different than either the FARA Side stabilizer, Holton Foot, or Imporvised Holton foot?

From the pics here: http://www.safirefighter.com/boards/index.php?topic=825.msg29881#msg29881

It appears as though the straps are on magnets? To be adhered to any metallic surface..?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

sesroadcrashrescue

Re: StabFast
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:51:33 PM »
you use the cutter to cut a hole in the car and place a hook that is on the straps in to the hole which grips and holds it still there is less movement useing this then anyother device and its well complitmented by the use of chocks

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 09:52:28 PM »
I'm curious as to how you use the cutters to quickly cut a hole in the car.  Particularly how you do it without undermining the vehicles structural integrity and still attaching the stabilisation to a structurally sound component (Which presumable you've just cut a hole into).  I must be mis-understanding how the StabFast is used... :|

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »
Brief description and brochure thing on the StabFast can be found here:
http://www.algebrabv.com/en/rescue-technology/algebra-frt/stabilisation/stabfast.html

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:01:02 PM »
The way the SES used it at our job was just placed the hook on the underside of the car (no cutting required) then using the ratchet tightened it until the teeth on the stabiliser dug into the body work of the car.

I'm sure if it was a car on it's side the you could put the hook soemwhere without having to punch a hole first, otherwise whats the point :|

As for prefference, after watching them at work i'll take the stab fast, however the cost of them is enourmous and they look a little "plastic fantastic"
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:03:52 AM »
Sounds very interesting. I can't say that I'd stake my safety on a device that calls for punching a hole into the thin metal skin of a car :S Not to mention that it really only stabilises around one point, rather than the multiple points of the Holton Foot.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline squiddy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
There are plenty of points you can hook it to on a car... but yes, you can use the device provided to punch a small hole into the car. Its not like you just throw it on and say "yup, she'll hold" you have to still look at your points of structural integrity... but overall it is much faster and easier than anything I have used so far, and is currently being used on the RCR courses in SES

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
1911566 19:42:48 04-09-07 TO ALL GROUP RCR MEMBERS THERE WILL BE FAMILIRIZATION ON STABFAST STABILIZATION THIS MON 1930 HRS PLEASE ATTEND IF POSSIBLE THANKS GEOFF W  4/09/2007 7:42:40 PM

This is for the onka rescue truck.

Obviously being a SES truck crewed by CFS the SES still supply the equipment for it??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:44:37 PM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:15:47 PM by Zippy »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »
Back to the Stabfast - we have both (Stabfast & Fara). Didn't think much of the Stabfast until we did a job where the car was above us (crew ambo & driver) sitting on its side. While we were working on the driver (who was out of the vehicle), the rest of the crew used the two Stabfast on the shiney side (something you can't do with the FARA's) so I had to eat humble pie cause that car didn't move, Stabfast took about three minutes to set up with a good crew ( we had some guys from Barmera with us & they are good - real good)& we felt perfectly safe. And they do another great trick, you can link them to each other and physically lift a car thats on it roof when you do an oyster lift (not recommended by maker though) As I said now I swear by them (heavy but) so much so I told the guys at PT hydraulics how impressed I am with. So hopefully you guys  in CFS will get them too. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:44:56 PM »
PT are putting on a demo in Victor Harbor this sunday with the Stabfast.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 09:45:59 AM »
I was talking to Rod Wells from PT last week & he told me about the demo @ Pirie. He is a good bloke and you should find it interesting, for SES UM's there is a trade show being put on at the State conference inwhich PT will be showing some stuff. Back to the stabilisers though we still carry the FARA's on our truck as well as the light (quick) response they are still a good bit of kit and they are lighter (plus we own them now so what else do you do with them?) the guys still practice with them & for most stuff they are fine.cheers
Ken
just another retard!

anything