Author Topic: RCR jackets  (Read 10825 times)

sesroadcrashrescue

RCR jackets
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:27:08 AM »
the new RCR jackets who has them who dosent

i find mine very comfy by its self but as soon as we get a RCR job and i have to where overalls and my Jacket i feel arkward and puffed up like a orange marshmellow is there any chance SES might adopt more of the cfs style uniform and go with the pants aswell whould be so much better as a uniform the overalls

overalls are the suck

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: RCR jackets
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »
from my understanding there are quite a few SES units/members getting around in two piece gear already.. (pants/belt/top)

what is an 'RCR jacket'?

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »
its taken from CFS jackets its a cross between the PBI Gold and normal yellows its just a 2 pice top i was talking about using the cfs pants as well but hay what ever they decide to use i fond the cfs uniform better to work in SES shirt and pants is good for land search but not practical for RCR thers very little protection   

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:28:20 PM »
ahh k i see...

would make sense for SES rescue crews to have some protection from fire... believe the current gear has a bit of proban treatment>?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:02:39 PM »
Full two-piece SES PPE orange have been around for a long-time.

Some Units are still recycling old uniforms instead of issuing new gear. Maybe the overalls is what they had in stock.

Just need to see your Unit regards issuing them.

I personally prefer overalls when tyring to squeeze through a space.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:04:16 PM »
ahh k i see...

would make sense for SES rescue crews to have some protection from fire... believe the current gear has a bit of proban treatment>?

The new SES PPE has Proban included in the material. I think even my older overalls has the treatment (need to check later).

You can tell the new SES PPE because they have padded knees & "SES RESCUE" on them.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »
ahh k i see...

The new SES PPE has Proban included in the material. I think even my older overalls has the treatment (need to check later).

You can tell the new SES PPE because they have padded knees & "SES RESCUE" on them.

Actually, they're more like crotch pads unless you have disproportionately short legs... 2 piece old style all the way...

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:04:01 AM »
i have not seen any ses units with CFS style two pice if the two pice your are refering to is the shirt and pants what a joke iw ould go with the overalls its time ses caught up and started thinking what is logical. usar personel may be better off in overalls and personal choice however RCR should be CFS style 2 pice jacket and pants

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 01:28:30 AM »
Quote from: sesroadcrashrescue
usar personel may be better off in overalls and personal choice however RCR should be CFS style 2 pice jacket and pants

Why is a Jacket and Pants a "must" for RCR?

At work I would usually wear bunker pants and long sleeve (treated) work shirts for RCR's.. It is alot less restrictive, and alot better on the body when it comes to your bodys thermal dynamics and allowing heat to escape, thus cooling the body and reducing your core temperature.

Obviously depending on the conditions of the job I may wear my turnout jacket, however I haven't found too many occasions where that has been required.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:58:00 AM »
never said must i said "should" but its all personal choice as long as you are protected i fell better in a jacket and pants like the CFS have

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 02:56:26 AM »
I know, but it would have read funny if I wrote..

"Why is a Jacket and pants a "should" for RCR?"

hehe..

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 12:52:01 PM »
your not fighting a fire, your doing a cut out...

your better off with clothing that is minimal, but still offers the appropriate protection to limbs, body, etc. you dont want extra heavy bunker gear...

the current two piece pants and shirt make sense to me...

but at the end of the day, if ya wanna dress up in PBI or whatever, then re-join the fire service, cos it aint gonna happen in the SES.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
im not saying PBI what i am saying is for comfort and movement and how hard is it to gat a pair over overalls that fit its almost impossible a jacket and pants similer to what CFS have would be a good idea and dealing with cars id rather have clightly thicker gear on the shirt and pants other wise i may as well where a blue singlet footy shorts and a pair of thongs. i have no intention of rejoining the CFS why get uniforms that is not ment to come in to contact with flame or UV light dose not make much sence to me NEW PBI NO GOOD FOR FIREFIGHTING BUT WE WILL GIVE IT TO YOU ANYWAY   

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
im not saying PBI what i am saying is for comfort and movement and how hard is it to gat a pair over overalls that fit its almost impossible a jacket and pants similer to what CFS have would be a good idea and dealing with cars id rather have clightly thicker gear on the shirt and pants other wise i may as well where a blue singlet footy shorts and a pair of thongs. i have no intention of rejoining the CFS why get uniforms that is not ment to come in to contact with flame or UV light dose not make much sence to me NEW PBI NO GOOD FOR FIREFIGHTING BUT WE WILL GIVE IT TO YOU ANYWAY   

Did you leave or get kicked out... lol

sorry couldnt resist it.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 04:38:09 PM »
PBI is one of the best garments for interior firefighting and protecting the wearer from thermal heat exposure.. Where do you get half of your information from?

Anything is going to degrade if you just leave it in the sun (UV) for 6 months, it is a general "blanketed" warning.. - And sure, esposure to flame will eventually start to deteriorate the garment.. - But show me one that won't !! A good firefighter won't stay in such an environment for a period of time that it will be able to do such damage..

I struggle to understand how you can bash the gear, when you don't personally wear it.. - I give it top marks, and have worn it for a few years.. (Both as a paid and vol. firefighter).

uniden

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 04:43:02 PM »

Actually PBI is quite good for firefighting, that is why it used all over the world. You would know from your firefighting days that you arent meant to walk through flames, hence very few clothing items are designed for this purpose. As far as the UV light goes, it will not harm the garments during limited exposure. Rather it can break down if stored or left in direct sunlight for extended periods of time. We are talking months etc. Same reason why you shouldnt leave your firefighting helmet on the rear parcel shelf of your car all day every day..

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »
Same reason why you shouldnt leave your firefighting helmet on the rear parcel shelf of your car all day every day..

lmao - have seen that before.... makes them look hella tough though!!!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
thats way it says in the book not to be used near flames and i know your not ment to walk thruogh the flames but sometimes things dont go acording to the text book

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 02:29:26 AM »
Ideally, nothing is supposed to be used near flames.. - .. But we don't live in an Ideal world!!

If you read up on the capabilities of this gear, and what it has been trialled against, I think you will find it is one of the most superior garments being used throughout the services world wide.

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 04:42:11 PM »
anyway getting a bit off topic back to the SES Jackets they are good but need to have the pants with them

Offline squiddy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 05:59:11 AM »
OK.. I've read everything. What freaking jackets are you talking about?! There's the shirts that go with the pants that are the alternative to overalls *ack* and then there's the wet weather gear that has just been provided (the good old blue and orange council-worker jacket). Then there is Strathalbyn SES's very attractive (almost red) Goretex jacket. Don't know what other jacket is out there that SES provides for doing RCR, but if there is one, I want to see it!

Mind you, if you are going to whine about how flimsy uniforms are for doing RCR, how about asking for fabric that battery acid doesn't eat through, eh? Lost count of the number of RCR lads and lasses that I've seen running around with holes in the thighs and crotch of their uniforms thanks to battery acid (mind you, what the hell are they doing putting their crotches near battery acid in the first place?!)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
....what the filtered are they doing putting their crotches near battery acid in the first place?!)

KINKY     :evil:  :lol:  :mrgreen:
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 06:11:11 PM »
What are they doing that close to battery acid anyway??? I've only ever had gloves damaged by the stuff???
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »
Squiddy, the jackets are DALE from Fire and Rescue(COST $305 each) they are not issued, they are a bit like CFS turn out jackets but with a sewn in water proof liner (tried to get one with a zipout liner for when we suport CFS in summer - no go orders from above). And you have to supply the shoulder patches, we got two for a trial and the blokes wouldn't take them off :-) so we are getting some more. They are brilliant however due to cost will only be issued to the RCR qualified guys not to those who are not in the hot zone (pardon the pun). they are better wearing than the Rain birds (don't tear etc & won't srinkwrap to you if things suddenly get hot). Having been to an MVA that involved incinerations I decided we should have this level of protection in winter. Hope this answered your questions. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline squiddy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 06:57:51 AM »
Hey Chook, do they clean up well after blood? I've been to some pretty messy jobs, and some things just don't clean well at all...

anything