Author Topic: sink or swim and the future of some brigades  (Read 14826 times)

Offline nomansland firefighter

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: sink or swim and the future of some brigades
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 09:38:43 AM »
Pip, I spoke to the captain last night who spent some time doing the fathers days thing. Both the captain and another member of the Brigade spent most of the weekend doing some door knocking for the Brigade yes some quarters of the community support the Brigade and were willing to join (police check pending)others said they loved to but the mind was willing but the body was not. Your right about the RC but if you are going to be the bearer of bad news then the approach to it needs to be right. This also includes maybe incorporating some of the tools that can be used for assisting the Brigade to develop. Considering the Admin Officer has taken the entire ordeal personally since they have but a lot of work into the Brigade and has taken this as a real slap in the face.

Ports have looked at the Whyalla aspect before but we have been told that can't be done because it is a MFS area. It is something that needs to be revisited again I also believe that all options should be looked at as no one solution fits all problems.

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
The troubles in IK CFS are not the only issues the community faces, as the town itself is experiencing a bit of a culture change and there are certain persons that have moved into the town in recent years that have ran into trouble in other areas (not implying all new people!) and the recent "closure" of the police station has not helped. There are those that no doubt would aprove of this, but then they are unlikely to pass a police check and would not be a lot of help to brigade!!!!!! Why not try some of the exmembers? most of them still carry certain endorsments that would make it a lot easier to revitalise the brigade and are not going to give the head pains as a certain "handmitten" that was rather colourfull 

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »
oldskool, you write in a manner that suggests you are familiar with the Brigade / town. I think a brigade like Iron Knob need not just come to the conclusion that all those who are new in town are running from trouble. I can a sure that yes those ex-members have been approached. The issue for the Brigade is not it self but the community has let the Brigade down in most parts. To paraphrase Pip they all suppport it but don't actually join then who do they have to blame. If the problems in the brigade aren't fixed first it is no use joining up new members to the Brigade.

From looking at the ABS figures for Iron Knob the population has declined by nearly 40% but the mean age of the town is in its late 60's. If the division in the brigade maybe caused by not allowing succession planning to occur this may not be the case here but it be an issue that could be faced within the CFS
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 11:50:55 PM »
you write in a manner that suggests you are familiar with the Brigade / town

I agree.......
Wayne Ellard

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
I agree with your responce partly in that the age of the townspeople is not getting any younger and i am sure Iron Knob is not the only brigade that has people who turn up for a few meets then are never seen again! When is your AGM?  Try an open day again when this is happening and see who turns up. One must also realise that the town may be divided somewhat over what direction it is going and could take some time to sort, the increase in mining activity in the near future may change this as well. 

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »
word around the traps is that the timing of the AGM is no longer an issue for the Iron Knob Brigade as Region is taking on this responsibility. What will be occurring is a public meeting with one single question being asked which is does Iron Knob still require a CFS Brigade?

If someone turns up for a few training nights and is no longer seen a follow up phone call does not go astray as it can provide a valuable source of feeback for recruiting. Never overlook those that don't stay oldskool as one can not assume much by people actions unless you talk to them. As with the ABS figure they can only be used as guide and would be one of the tools that governments use for planning future infrastructure needs and service delivery in parts of the state.

Thew idea of an open day maybe good but it needs to be planned and timing is everything for raising the profile of a SA CFS Brigade.

With regards to the mining activity one must look deeper than just the what is happening by action and who is driving around. Find out oldskool what they are mining and what type of processing will be required. As labour for the mining maybe flown and or bused in from other areas and that labour force may be based in the town. Look at Roxby they bus them from Pt Augusta and fly them from Adelaide to the mine.

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »
The idea of am open day at an agm is not to make it too big, but to keep the doors open for any possible recruits as any help would be better than none. If an AGM were to be held on a weekend day then the doors could be opened mid morning and people could have a look around and meet any group/region guests that may be there along with brigade members. It would not be the first time a small country brigade has got down to a low membership then recruited more, being carefull not to recruit any odballs that wait until the brigade officers are not looking and go joyriding in the truck and other mischief

Offline nomansland firefighter

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »
oldskool maybe the odd balls that you refer to are not that odd considering what has been through the door at Iron Knob. You shouldn't forget that saying about the kettle calling the pot black which maybe the case here. You don't need to worry about the AGM as malleefire already said that it is in the hands of region and, at this stage the no open day will occur but certainly a public meeting. Maybe it is time for some members of the Iron Knob community to take the time and reflect and get past some of the divisions that have been created. As you know some people in the community like to enforce their will on others while not allowing the baton to be past on to the next generation or discriminate against those that don't fit the mold.

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »
nomansland firefighter I certainly agree with your sediment about some of the issues that have arose but I sometimes get the feeling that those that hover from a far and make comment have not looked at the situation in a logical and clear head. The problems in the Brigade maybe a reflection of the community where the changing of the guard is not about the personalities involved but more about the fear of letting go of someting that is perceived. Perception, Oldskool is something you need to be careful as you have perceived some members of the community as odd balls. Nomansland firefighter or Oldskool those that stir the pot in the Brigade has it ever been conceived that it is time to allow a new generation to have a go at running the Brigade or is this a battle for all or nonting for the community i.e. no brigade is better than allowing some one else to run it.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2007, 01:37:36 AM »
By the sounds of it, at least 2 of you are from the said brigade, with a couple having some pretty serious knowledge of the area (which tells me you aren't far away)... How bout you pool your resources together and try and improve things at brigade level.. Spend the time being pro-active and hopefully things will improve!

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »
I think somebody has worked out who I may be! The idea of opening the door to potential members I hope is understood to be for the benefit of brigade. The reference to oddballs is to those in the past who gave both yourself and I some worries ( one learns after they have signed on  what they are realy like) and was not intended towards current members. 

rescue5271

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 06:55:25 AM »
I guess we really nenver know how good a new member will or won't be till sometime later into their service with in any service or community group.. If they pass the police check and you still find they are not that switched on then you have obtions. As for the matter of the region wishing to close you I have spoken to a few people about this and they all say the same thing....CFS can not just rock up and say where going to close you....they have to call a few meetings and one is a public where the town is invited to show its support of the service.

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »
Most of the intrest in the subject " sink or swim and the future of some brigades " has been that of increasing the local membership. The whyalla based members have always been a welcome part of the brigade in my veiw and are dedicated despite being 55klms away. One has pesonally been hampered somewhat by a matter not related to brigade running and will likely sort itself given time ( the wheels of govenement turn slow) as the henious ones are are old foe and not cfs members. The offer is only of assistance.

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 11:09:45 PM »
The whyalla based members have always been a welcome part of the brigade in my veiw and are dedicated despite being 55klms away. One has pesonally been hampered somewhat by a matter not related to brigade running and will likely sort itself given time ( the wheels of govenement turn slow) as the henious ones are are old foe and not cfs members. The offer is only of assistance.

The important issue at hand is not where they live but the responce time of the Brigade. A person who lives in whyalla and is available during the day is just as available as person who lives in Iron Knob but works at either Port Augusta or Wallah and is able to leave work. Distance and availability are factors that need to go hand in hand not as a mechanism where the inference of discrimination could occur. As you are aware from last year where the Brigade was warned that if it cannot work together then the service at Iron Knob will be reviewed one could infer that the process that the Brigades is going through is that of having the service delivery reviewed with some possible action that the Brigade / community can choose from.

The second part of your post is not all that clear

rescue5271

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 07:06:04 AM »
If the problem is mainly change the leader then do it and for the next two years the brigade and the towns people will see a change in the brigade or they will see the brigade fall apart all together and close.... if young people want to have a go at running a brigade let them ,but they also need to remember there is more to just wearing a color helmet at a job,there is a lot of behind the scene work/meetings and so on.... I say give them ago but also draw on those members who have been there for years....They will only fix or stuff the brigade up......

I think there is more to this problem and one that if your going to get on here and talk about it then give's us all the full story and not just part of that story... Bugger did I just say that.....

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
Rescue5271 the full story is still unfolding as information is never coming from a direct source but passed onto those who are directly involved through other members of the community. The change in leader occurred but those that have been involved in the past have not shown a lot of support for the Brigade. When they took a step back from the brigade the issues that the brigade now faces seems to have escalated. The behind the scenes aspect that you refer is something that was known by those that stepped up and who are managing the brigade presently. The direction that the brigade is now taking is one that will be more positive for the community as a whole.

Offline oldskool

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »
The part of the post is only giving an indication to current membership that an exmembers departure was influenced by another matter outside the brigade and not based wholly on any conflict. Part of other posts were clues to identity, and the rest were more toward brigade survival. Other issues are up to brigade and town to sort

rescue5271

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »
Time this one was locked and left to the brigade/group/region to fix/repair......

Offline dogfencerider

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »
rescue5271 your right it is time to let this one go and for the sake of the cfs someone do something about fixing the problem. this thread has become our own very own version of a soap opera.

Oldskool I have followed this thread as a guess from day 1 but your posts are a riddle so I take it your an ex member (from your posts I can see why!). If you are part of the trouble then get overself I am not being offensive but it has to be said that wingers are a part of life but if you can't handle changes in life then get some help and let those their do their work. This goes for all those other that are involved like malleefire and nomansland firefighter. If your not willing to be a part of the future guys then take up a new hobby. If you guys want to be a part of the solution then get on with it.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
Last night at our AGM the Regional Commander turn up considering we don't get regional officers at our AGM unless invited. The captain, and the other officer from the look on their faces said concern and panic as this was an out of the blue. We did not have quorum and as a consequence we were told unofficially that we will be going down the path of having our operations suspended. His reason for taking this action was their are not enough volunteers living in the town and that our responce time were not up to scratch. What do they expect when you just cant get ppe, pagers or anything. What do they expect from small rural towns where the jobs are 60 km away yes their will be a delay if your employer will allow you to go. Where do you find volunteers when the age of the townpeople is hitting it mid 70's.

With the rant now over how well does this sit with concepts of project sherpa more importantly no advice was given in how to rectify the problem i.e. who to speak to or what tools would be available. How value do you think we now feel in the cfs as we are all keen to carry on. The captain is speaking to the members and what I feel is that their is more of resolve now to maintain brigade as we all still want to be members.
i think that is very sad to hear as there is alot of stations with the same problems but i think that it is disgusting to hear that they will probably shut you down is there another station to back you up in this time of need

If their group is like ours even backup brigades ar in the same boat.

anything