Author Topic: Horse Flu  (Read 8228 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Horse Flu
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:24:57 PM »
Can some one tell me what this equine influenza actauly does to a horse? like does it ruin it's racing  life?, kill it and  any thing else.

i personally have found out a lot about an industry that I don't see as a hugely important industry yet the media are loving it. (when i say hugely important i mean it seems contained to the horse industry and isn't really going to effect the general population like say bird flu would or foot and mouth)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Horse Flu
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
exactly as it sounds. Horse flu, horses get sick, can't race, weaker ones die, no races = no money for the racing industry = bad times.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
I think the biggest impact is on the industries or businesses that rely on the racing industry & events. For example the transport, vets, feed merchants, accommodation, catering, horse breeders, trainers, jockeys, agistment, betting, tourism, etc, etc.

Any affect on a major industry will affect other subsidiary companies that rely on the major industry to generate trade. Same issue with Car manufacturing industry.

I have always thought that the biggest threat to Oz is disease. A major disease outbreak (eg foot & mouth) will have a greater and longer term impact. This would impact people & the Oz economy more than fire, flood or other natural disaster.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline boss

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • elvis has left the building
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:42:20 PM »
mind you there are two horses that want get the flu 1 is the crazy horse and 2 is the rocking horse at gumeracha  :evil: :-D
we save lives, we breath smoke, we eat ash, why do we do it? cos it's a way of life for us that we have chosen to take

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 08:18:04 PM »
LOLOLO well I can think of some NAGS that wont  get the flu :lol:

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:36:06 PM »
Sheite thats a relief!!
No good if the Crazy Horse was shut down for horse flu!! :-D
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:25:38 PM »
Mind you there are two horses that want get the flu 1 is the Crazy Horse and 2 is the Rocking Horse at Gumeracha  :evil: :-D

Hahaha Classic Boss :lol:
Images are copyright

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
the horse flu closed our mounted unit till futher notice it was hopeful the house ban was to be lifted today and we hope it did with out the mounted team we are introuble for land search we will only have the bikes

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 08:53:37 PM »
the horse flu closed our mounted unit till futher notice it was hopeful the house ban was to be lifted today and we hope it did with out the mounted team we are introuble for land search we will only have the bikes

Why is there a ban on houses?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 08:59:02 PM »
I have just arrived back from seeing the doctor, he assures me the horse flu will not affect humans, even if they are hung like a horse....... :roll:
I just want to help

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:17 PM »
6793624---- sorry for my typeo i ment horses was late when i was typing.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
Hi there

I think there is still major restriction in place for SA - Just noticed alot of the smaller country shows have cancelled all there horse events.

I know the Quorn show (this weekend) and Wilmington (Following weekend) have had to cancel all horse events.

This is going to have a huge effect on these country shows - as majority of there crowds are horse related people.  So please if you get the chance please still suport your country shows where possible durring this difficult time.

All the best

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
6793624---- sorry for my typeo i ment horses was late when i was typing.

typeo, ment

You sure it was because you were up late? :wink:

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
Info for those interested, PIRSA manages the response for animal health issues under the State Emergency Management Plan so has info on their website:
http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/horseflu

Where's wally challenge- awful photo of me somewhere on the PIRSA website  :lol:

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
shows are doing that for there own safty you can move your horse around sa if you take it out of sa it can not come back till they can work out how to stop this flu

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 02:48:21 PM »

Hi there

Unless I am mistaken - you still canot move your horse around SA unless you get permission - and large gathering of animals like show are also not allowed.

Wayne Ellard

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »
Well you can move your horse around anywhere within SA without permission, but gatherings require a permit. But if I owned a horse I wouldn't be taking it to meet other horses anyway just incase!

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
Well you can move your horse around anywhere within SA without permission, but gatherings require a permit. But if I owned a horse I wouldn't be taking it to meet other horses anyway just incase!

this is till pretty serious in s.a its true gatherings need a permit and also travelling around sa does aswell. most of the events for the next 6 months have been cancelled including the international event -which was the olympic selection event.
but yeh most people arent taking their horses anywhere not for lessons or clinics incase of an outbreak. its ugly stuff.
I say what i think, coz im allowed to have an opinion.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 05:27:13 AM »
Hi there

On a positive note - its a huge saving in our family. 

Seen more of the wife and kids in the past few weeks as they are not travelling to horse events most weekends.

One thing I am anoyed with - the media seem to be indicating the ban on horses in SA has been lifted - but not really true.  The Poney Club association has banned most event's until further notice, and I like there thought process.

All the best

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 06:41:19 PM »
we are allowed to use the horse team but they go at there own risk. we were taking them to parsky filed days, but we have decided not to on advice from primary industry's, if we took the team and some one from interstate had brought the flu with them on there shoes or something. then the team would be stuck there for months as our unit has been told the owners transport there horse on there own risk.