Author Topic: Responding to old MVA's  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »
16:45:23   05-09-07   MFS: INC # 34 - 05/09/07 16:44,RESPOND RCR,MAIN ST,MT MCKENZIE, MAP 0 0 0 ,,ON ANGASTON-EDEN VALLEY RD, NEAR MT MCKENZIE, SINGLE CAR ROLLOVER, BELIEVE NO ENTRAPMENTS,24119 38224*CFSRES: CFS Keyneton Response

16:53:23   05-09-07   MFS: STOP FOR MVA CALL AT MT MCKENZIE, FROM SAPOL, THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED EARLY THIS MORNING CFS Nuriootpa Response

doh!

Offline countrygirl

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:33:22 PM »
Dezza,
you beat me to posting that.
No offence but who looks like the silly person with that message and I wonder if the ambos are happy with being called out to a old incident.
Considering emergency services's time is precious, do they need a muck up like that?
Gee,it even made the radio waves.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »
Dezza,
you beat me to posting that.
No offence but who looks like the silly person with that message and I wonder if the ambos are happy with being called out to a old incident.
Considering emergency services's time is precious, do they need a muck up like that?
Gee,it even made the radio waves.

happens all the time mate, if the public calls it in and is concerned it is an MVA, then bang... full response.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »
SINGLE CAR ROLLOVER, BELIEVE NO ENTRAPMENTS.....THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED EARLY THIS MORNING....

happens all the time mate, if the public calls it in and is concerned it is an MVA, then bang... full response.

hmmm lets think about it...

if this happened this morning
1.  did it get called into the ambo's and firey's/rescue beforehand....no
2.  was the scene ever cleaned up...including a Tow Truck...
3.  how can someone phone in a accident many hours after it happens. when the car should have already been at a crash depot...lol

:|

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »
...when the car should have already been at a crash depot...

Can't the owners of the crashed car refuse the tow ?
I thought they could arrange their own vehicle recovery if they wished.
If that is the case, then SAPOL can only make the area safe.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
derek i dont get what ya bangin on about mate...

if the public rings up with a concern re; anything then it is the emergency services responsibility to attend to investigate if there is any possibility its a 'fresh' incident...

the information of it being an 'old job' was paged as a stop to the crews after that had opbviously been confirmed...

SAPOL and SAAS may ior may not have attended in the morning,... doenst mean anything. Cars are quite often left at the scene of vehicle accidents long after they have happened.... youve never driven down the road and seen a banged up car left somewhere?
???

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
youve never driven down the road and seen a banged up car left somewhere?

sure i have...but nothing of concern lol...just the general car dumping...

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 06:07:36 PM »
youve got no idea mate.....  :|

thegeneral public are uneducated with these sorts of things, as ive said before, most people dont even stop when they call in a VA, so how is joe blow gonna know its new or old... there just gonna call it in, and we have no option but to go..

anyway, im just rambling and gettign hung up on it now.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:12:29 PM »
mate,  just brain farting  :wink:   ur probably right hehe...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 06:56:57 PM »
mate,  just brain farting  :wink:   ur probably right hehe...

He is right!

I have been to the same accidents before, on more than one occasion... - If the Veh. owner decides to arrange their own method of pickup, or if it is in a country area and the vehicle is well off the road, they are sometimes left at the scene. - When "joe-public" drives past 2 hours later and phones '000' and says "I have just passed a car on its roof about 30 km from 'blah'" .. the services are required to respond.

Sure, it MAY be the same accident.. - But if it isn't, and you are COMPLACENT and ignore it, someday, someone will die...

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 07:42:08 PM »
I know up here if we go to a VA we will write on the car emergency service already notified or tape the car up with hazard tape so other motorists hopefully will realise that its all over.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

probie_boy

Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
youve got no idea mate.....  :|

thegeneral public are uneducated with these sorts of things, as ive said before, most people dont even stop when they call in a VA, so how is joe blow gonna know its new or old... there just gonna call it in, and we have no option but to go..

anyway, im just rambling and gettign hung up on it now.

it happens all the time. I saw a mangled car this morning on the side of the road down at sellicks. people were at the car so i stopped and it turned out to be the owner waiting for his mate to come pick it up but the accident had happened at about midnight.

also take into account that the fatal MVA rollover at williamstown the other day. according to the newspaper, cops said the crash had happened approx 5 hours before it was called in.

if you see a mangled car on side of the road, ALWAYS STOP.
better safe than sorry! :wink:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »
Came across a car down an embankment that had hit some trees on the way back from a fire on the adelaide-victor road, looked fresh so we stopped everyone had left hours earlier, but if it was serious it was easily missable as i was out of sight to everything but tall trucks. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

Re: Responding to old MVA's
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:05:11 AM »
I came across a MVA just outside of Penola some months ago,blood on window and inside car,called the police and the accident took place some 8 hours ago...Car still had personnel items in it and was unsecure.The car was still sitting there some 12 hours later.Rather than leave it there why can't it be towed away for safe keeping but also to stop the public calling it in to the services.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
Like I said, it depends where it is.. - Some accidents occur hundreds of kilometres away from any means of towing transport, some occur and the owners take responsibility to get it towed, and like usual, it never happens.

You would be surprised how many people don't phone such things in, or even stop.. Their have been a few cases over the years of people dying in accidents which are visable from the road, however no one phoned it in.. I guess 'assuming' it was an old accident...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »
Just to clarify a couple of things firstly if an accident is in the designated Metropolitan Area the Police will arrange a tow through the Accident Towing Roster.

If the vehicle is not in a hazardous position ie parked on the side of the road the owner can arrange to pick it up themselves with a car trailer.

In country areas where the Accident Towing Roster does not apply,and classed as Out of Zone, Police will arrange a tow, or the owner can nominate a towing service at their request.Once again if the vehicle is not in a hazardous position or leaking fuel etc the Police can not force an owner to get a tow.

I have attended an MVA in the past where the driver had been hanging upside down trapped in the vehicle for hours, and was only noticed when the sun came up and passing traffic saw the car in the paddock.Sadly he died at the scene as we were trying to free him :-(

This is a common problem in areas where traffic is infrequent so if someone calls 000 to report a vehicle accident,unless they witnessed the event, they dont know how long its been there.Some members of the public still have the "I dont want to get involved attitude" and dont stop to check these scenes and drive past, so its better to be safe than sorry....at least they rang it in!!!!   
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:41:03 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 11:31:07 AM »
I know up here if we go to a VA we will write on the car emergency service already notified or tape the car up with hazard tape so other motorists hopefully will realise that its all over.

We do the same, but generally organise a tow. That way we are sure not to be called again. I have better things to do than go to a job we have already been to. I have come across a car into tree and stopped (so did my heart), thankfully there was nobody in sight and the owners left a note on the window "Thanks, we are fine."

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 05:19:11 PM »
Just to clarify a couple of things firstly if an accident is in the designated Metropolitan Area the Police will arrange a tow through the Accident Towing Roster.

If the vehicle is not in a hazardous position ie parked on the side of the road the owner can arrange to pick it up themselves with a car trailer.

In country areas where the Accident Towing Roster does not apply,and classed as Out of Zone, Police will arrange a tow, or the owner can nominate a towing service at their request.Once again if the vehicle is not in a hazardous position or leaking fuel etc the Police can not force an owner to get a tow.

I have attended an MVA in the past where the driver had been hanging upside down trapped in the vehicle for hours, and was only noticed when the sun came up and passing traffic saw the car in the paddock.Sadly he died at the scene as we were trying to free him :-(

You're sort of right......

Within a designated area, known as the "Tow Zone" (which extends at least beyond Willunga in the South, perhaps further, around Norton Summit / Ashton ish in the East, not sure how far away in the North), if a car (not a truck) is involved in a crash, and requires a tow, anyone can arrange a tow...but it must be through the tow roster- which is done through police - either by the attendance of a patrol, or via the Accident tow line (which is answered by police) and which ever tow company is at the top of the list, for that area, gets dispatched.

If the vehicle is blocking traffic, then police have the authority to call for a tow & get the vehicle removed.  If the vehicle is not obstructing traffic, but is still on the road, and within the tow zone, and you are going to get it towed, you cannot get your mates to come & tow it, unless the vehicle is more than 200 metres from the point of impact....under that & the tow roster must be used.

If the vehicle is on private property and not causing a hazard to other road users, then police can't just get it towed, unless it is subject to an investigation (eg death / cause serious harm etc etc).

In areas outside the tow zone, anyone can call any tow they like.  Police do not have to arrange the tow - although if it they attend the scene, they will often arrange a tow.

The rules are different for large vehicles...

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
You cannot get your mates to come & tow it, unless the vehicle is more than 200 metres from the point of impact....under that & the tow roster must be used.(quote)Pip

That rule only applies to calling a towing service that you know and is not on the roster for that area,and therefore must be moved 200 metres before you can call your own.If you have someone who can pick it up with a car trailer,provided it is done for no fee,hire or reward they can collect it.Part 111c Motor Vehicles Act

The roster boundary out North is where Gawler River crosses Pt Wakefield Rd follows Angle Vale Rd to Gawler Bypass from then on is Out of Zone :wink:

Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
You cannot get your mates to come & tow it, unless the vehicle is more than 200 metres from the point of impact....under that & the tow roster must be used.(quote)Pip

That rule only applies to calling a towing service that you know and is not on the roster for that area,and therefore must be moved 200 metres before you can call your own.If you have someone who can pick it up with a car trailer,provided it is done for no fee,hire or reward they can collect it.Part 111c Motor Vehicles Act

The roster boundary out North is where Gawler River crosses Pt Wakefield Rd follows Angle Vale Rd to Gawler Bypass from then on is Out of Zone :wink:

Sounds like someone in the business !! - I know who to call next time I need my car towed !! :)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »

Sounds like someone in the business !! - I know who to call next time I need my car towed !! :)

One of the many hats I wear including CFS :-D
Images are copyright

anything