Author Topic: State CFS Talkgroups etc  (Read 46808 times)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: State CFS Talkgroups etc
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 06:04:26 PM »
This is speaking from experiance

Experience wise in this regard I think I trump you several hundred times over. That aside you have the belief that MFS "log" things. They just undertake call receipt and dispatch. They don't log and they don't do resource tracking. They take the call page it out and if no one acknowledges receipt they page the next nearest brigade. All they care about is the page acknowledgement so they can tick it off the running sheet. The only "logging" thats going on is that its claimed that the state/regional talkgroups get recorded, but good luck getting the recording or anyone to listen back to the recording for you. I have however heard recordings (MP3) of the Sturt Group talkgroup. If I'm not mistaken, they record both their talkgroups at the base continuously.

"oh sorry, didn't write anything down"

Well it probably wasn't that important then. I think you will also find that as soon as any station/base is under pressure logging is amongst the first casualty.

I am trying to get though to people, why do we have such an abortion of a system, we are all over the place, people doing whatever they like

You mean like you doing comms on 111 as your threatening to do when you shouldn't be?

I'm not saying the system is perfect, I'm just saying that given the situation in which groups have been placed, having a duty officer is amongst the best solutions going.

When is logging incident occurances not important???.. You claim to be so "experienced" but that was one big Rookie call !!

I will go with the safety of a COMCEN over a duty officer sitting in their Subaru / toyota anytime !! Only so much one person with a couple radios, mobile phone and a pen and pad can do!

If you can give me "reasonable" examples of what a single person in a command car can do versus that of a fully operational comcen, then I will be happy to take your views onboard.

I think you need to think a little realistically about this. The "she'll be right" attitude is way too complacent for my liking. I have listened to jobs where Duty Officers have had comms, a handful of requests were made of them and they physically couldnt do it. (2 arms and 1 mouth only go so far!) - Contacting multiple services for support, maintaining comms and incident awareness, scribing the things such as addresses and locations, incident specifics and everything associated with one, responding and directing other appliances, these things just don't happen when its one person sitting in their 4x4!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:08:40 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:17 PM »
The duty officers tasks should only be to make sure that trucks get on the road...even just by listening to comm's if that be.

A lot of what a duty officer does can be done at the station, and if the station cant be opened...MFS already have policy to automatically default to the next brigade.

If you dont have anyone to accept sitreps ask adelaide fire to page for further crew to man the station or another station surrounding the incident.   Even just pressing your "More Crew Required" button at the station just before you leave can  do the job.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:29:52 PM by Dezza »

rescue5271

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:47 PM »
Watch this space from what was said today the problem has been resolved and there will be more than one state talk channel..........

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »

. . . I can see why they get frustrated though, boy oh boy do we woffle !! "nuff nuff 24 out on 30 k run" cutting over the top of incident traffic, good one! So they are strongly pushing for the smaller amount of TG's. Its not anyone's fault out there, you don't know someone is talking, but you will with the new arrangement.

Fair enough, one talkgroup will allow MFS Commcen to monitor all radio traffic, by ensuring woffle doesn't counter important traffic.

However when it gets busy, as it will, there will be traffic from the EP broadcast across the south east (and every point between), and vice-versa.
Towers WILL tie up. Maybe not in the hills (I don't know), but certainly in the regions.

We shift from a limiting factor of too few operators to handle traffic, to too few frequencies on the towers.

I agree there is woffle and some damn inefficient communicators on the radio.
But I also believe putting all acknowledgement, response & return comms on to one talkgroup will overload the system. 

We get enough tower tie-ups as it is. Increasing the chance of that happening does not excite me.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 07:41:40 PM »
But I also believe putting all acknowledgement, response & return comms on to one talkgroup will overload the system. 

A CFS MDT network at stations would fix that  :-D

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2007, 01:50:40 AM »
Now all we need is GRN simplex on the fireground...

Not with these radios we don't !!
Already been tried, & the design of the radios caused it to fail miserably.
(If you are a radio tech then "wideband front-end & receiver desense" will
explain it all.)  Also, the UHF had even worse propagation around hills,
trees & smoke than our new, super de-rated VHFs.

But wouldn't it have been great if it had worked !
"One radio to rule the world, and in the darkness, bind th..." 
Oh, sorry. Wrong film.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
pumprescue:
all radio transmissions are logged in CRIIMSON, I have asked for a log only in the last week and they faxed it to me, had all the times and sitreps, sooo, that says to me that they are indeed logging everything,
Its very workload and personnel dependent.

So they are strongly pushing for the smaller amount of TG's
I fully agree with MFS not having to juggle a whole heap of talkgroups.

As for your point "It probably wasn't that important" in regards to logging, you deserve a slap around the head !!!!  I bet the first 10 mins of Ash Wednesday wasn't that important, or Wangary, or the MVA where 3 people died, until the coroners inquest, you can't have been involved in many decent incidents if you sprout forth that woffle, my god man, what are you thinking !! Logging radio transmissions is vital, you or anyone can't tell me otherwise.
When things get hectic and hit the fan there are better things to do than to have operators writing stuff down. Its a matter of priority and utilising the resources properly. I'd rather have someone at a station/base under take actions that aid the response rather then writing stuff down. You could have a full video recording of every person for every second and the outcome of each of those or any incident would be exactly the same. Writing something down doesn't put a fire out! Its for this reason I "sprout forth" as I have actual experience of being involved in real incidents where time matters and the highest priority task comes first. Logging is not the highest priority. You have no idea what you are talking about. Go out and get some real experience. If your not prioritising your doing things in the wrong order.

If your so concerned about having a record why not have a bit of a shot at CFSHQ for not having every GRN talkgroup and every CFS station telephone recorded all the times? But as I said even if all that was recorded the outcome would be same, it would have just cost a whole lot more. I doubt that any coronal findings would even be different, not that it matters as they are after the fact.

really wish people would stop thinking they know , and actually find out, I bother to go and find out, I bother to read memo's from CFS. I still have my opnions on what would be a better option, but we will still be back in the dark ages after I post this, and the way the state's group officers carry on, will most likely be for some time to come.
You mean about how you know that groups with duty officers don't even do 100 calls a year or that I haven't been to MFSHQ for 15 years?

I know what I know. I don't know if I know more than what you know, but I'm fairly confident that my understanding behind the principles are solid. I also know that you don't know how it will be because as I pointed out its not decided yet so its just speculation.

Reading the memos from CFSHQ have less to do with being informed than what you may think. There is more interesting and insightful chat  to be had with the people who actually make the decisions. You'll actually find group officers are more progressive than what you think. Its not about change, its about change for the better with the resources available. I'm sure the Group officers would love a fully staffed operations centre to do all the things that you want, but what the state is offering isn't that. I don't understand why your being so aggressive towards group officers and not toward the CFSHQ and government staff. I also don't see why your so negative on duty officers. They are just there to cover till such time that a base or station opens. It also allows crews to stay on one talkgroup rather than changing talkgroups at the most critical time. Your arguments don't make sense. What I can gather is that you are comparing the current system with some fanciful future ideal system. If you compare anything at the moment with the best thing you can dream up its not going to look very good. Were living and working now and therefore groups do what is the best thing for the public now. Once again I think you need to get some experience and focus.

We still can't seem to get over this ownership and power trip, it isn't the Sturt Fire Service, Kyeema Fire Service, Heysen Fire Service, Mt Gambier Fire Service, Lucundale Fire Service etc, IT'S the Country Fire Service, much the same way its the Metropolitan Fire Service. Only when people realise this, might we see some change, and that's obviously going to take another generation. Thankfully some of these old group officers are coming to the end of their time............
Your right off topic and have lost me here. What do power trips have to do with anything? We see change every day. I don't know who these "old" group officers are and I don't see what they are doing is wrong. As I said before, they have more experience than the majority of CFS staff members and thats why things such as changes to communications go to regional group officers meeting for comment. You obviously haven't talked to enough CFS staff to see how out of touch they really are.

I don't know what your problem is so I can help you out. I'm also a bit confused as to why your making such a fuss about a duty officer system that CFSHQ seems to be supporting in the interim to whatever comes next. Make some clear arguments and points rather then hypothetical or rants about the "power trips".

Oh and don't say that groups with duty officers don't tow the CFSHQ line as not only have those groups had it OK with CFSHQ but it is now being promoted by CFSHQ.

RescueHazmat:
When is logging incident occurances not important???..
I didn't say it wasn't important I just said it wasn't THAT important, meaning that there may have been higher priority things to do at the time. As has been pointed out there is a lot of "waffle" not every thing gets logged down on paper. But as I pointed if it was Sturt group it may have been voice recorded.

You claim to be so "experienced" but that was one big Rookie call !!
That or just experienced that some things are more important than other things and logging isn't the highest priority. As I pointed out to PumpRescue logging makes very little difference to the final outcome. You could have every word said by every person logged on a 200 track recorder and it would make next to no difference to the outcome. If you don't think that then you to need to get some experience in real operations. There is no time to go back listening to, or reading pages, of logs for that bit of info you needed. You write down what you need and what you can to get the job done. Rookies get over loaded on info and doing things that don't aid the outcome. It sounds like your one of those.

I will go with the safety of a COMCEN over a duty officer sitting in their Subaru / toyota anytime !! Only so much one person with a couple radios, mobile phone and a pen and pad can do!

If you can give me "reasonable" examples of what a single person in a command car can do versus that of a fully operational comcen, then I will be happy to take your views onboard.
Explain to me why is a comcen any safer? That is why is someone sitting in Adelaide, with all sorts of other things going on, going to make things more safe than an experienced local that knows the location, the crews, the people, and the resources?

Good thing we haven't had one person in a station taking care of jobs for the last ummm well forever. As I pointed out the fact it's being done in a car makes no difference to the service. Its all about function. One person in a car can do as much as one person in a station, but the one person in the car can do it sooner than it takes for the person to get to the station. Oh and I'd put money on the fact that a very experienced officer in a command car can do more than the majority of fire fighters in a station. Also remember that in most cases the duty officer in the command car is only undertaking the function till a station opens up.

Let me say it again as none of you seem to realise stations and bases still exist. The duty officer is covering until such time as a station can open. One person in a command car can do more to assist in the early stages of an incident than a comcen can do. Your not seeing this as your looking at it with a group / single incident perspective. You need to scale it up to state size.

Think one duty officer looking after one group. That is 50 something duty officers state wide looking after 1 service. Think one comcen, 5 people looking after 3 services answering 100's of 000 calls a hours.
The group based system scales up a whole lot better. This is why centralisation cant and wont work unless there is massive resources thrown at it. Centralisation also isn't as robust. The best thing going is what we currently have, one comcen assisting groups/duty officers that help themselves.

I think you need to think a little realistically about this. The "she'll be right" attitude is way too complacent for my liking. I have listened to jobs where Duty Officers have had comms, a handful of requests were made of them and they physically couldnt do it. (2 arms and 1 mouth only go so far!)
And I've heard stations get snowed under. Stations whose operators cant use the station interface (one button press). I've heard Regional HQ's get snowed under. I've even heard state SOCC get snowed under. I don't see your point. I say it again one experienced person in a command car can do as much as one person in a station and that's been quite acceptable for everyone for a long time. I'll also once again say its about prioritising. Everywhere does it, even MFSHQ, being some things take precedence over others. Its unreasonable to think that everything will happen instantly, but not all those things are as time critical as others.

Contacting multiple services for support, maintaining comms and incident awareness, scribing the things such as addresses and locations, incident specifics and everything associated with one, responding and directing other appliances, these things just don't happen when its one person sitting in their 4x4!
Once again your fixated on the fact its done from a car. That fact is its irrelevant to the amount of work that can be done. If you haven't seen DIV commands at large jobs then you don't know what can be done out of a command car.
I'm not saying that one person can do everything. But what I will say is that one duty officer in every group in a command car will be able to do more then 5 MFS officers in Adelaide on a bad day and that sounds like the option your putting forward.

From my point of view both of you are making arguments against something that you don't understand in preference for something that doesn't exist.

PS RescueHazmat, don't forget there's also the delica...

hicks

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »
Only problem I have with the Duty Officer system is that it puts a lot of responsibility on one person. Who acknowledges the page with MFS and handles resource tracking when that one person is on the dunny or is sharing an intimate moment with the other half, are they realistically going to arrange someone else to do the D.O. role everytime they go shopping or do they just bail out of the shopping to handle each fixed alarm at the nursing home.

I also don't like the idea of people outside of the response area acknowledging the page, there have been times when local GRN sites are down however someone acknowledging the page in the city still got it, result was no one locally got the message however they also weren't defaulted.

Why have a system that makes more unnecessary work for volunteers when you've got a bunch of paid staff there to do the same thing, ah thats right it's called micro managing every single incident.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »
Only problem I have with the Duty Officer system is that it puts a lot of responsibility on one person.

agree....and this cant happen in a volunteer organization.

Acknowledging the page is the responsibility of the FIRST person arriving to STATION.   This Ensures Adelaide Fires policy of "no answer = no crew = default = next brigade" is followed.

im unsure if this is ACTUAL prescribed SOP,  if it isnt...im a full supporter for it to be.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 11:38:02 PM by Dezza »

Offline Hicksflat14

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2007, 10:36:01 AM »
I agree with you being a duty officer does require a lot of commitment.

Only problem I have with the Duty Officer system is that it puts a lot of responsibility on one person.

agree....and this cant happen in a volunteer organization.
Why not? So are you saying that we get rid of all positions? There is no Lts, captains, group officers or incident controllers? Everyone is equal and every one has the same responsibility and capacity be it the noob school kid to the group officer? Good luck running that service.
An appliance driver has a lot of responsibility, the incident controller has a lot of responsibility, the comms/duty officer has a lot of responsibility. Your comment has no practical meaning, and I don't see what being a "volunteer organisation" has to do with it.
If your saying that it means that one person can lead to the failure of the communications, command and control system, then your not aware of the redundancy in the duty officer systems that most groups run. Your also not thinking about the failure of the communications, command and control system when your having hundreds of stations phoning and calling in trying contact a small central control point.

Acknowledging the page is the responsibility of the FIRST person arriving to STATION.   This Ensures Adelaide Fires policy of "no answer = no crew = default = next brigade" is followed.
First its not "Adelaide fires policy" its a CFS policy. The FIRST person arriving doing acknowledgement does not ensure that an appliance rolls. It ensures that the MFS knows that there is one person at the station, and any call details is passed on. Its then that person's responsibility to commit to the memory and pass on to the crews. In a two station turnout, MFS needs to answer two separate phone/radio calls and supply call details to two separate people. Duty officers reduce the number of phone calls and work load for MFS. The duty officer is also in a position they can pass all those details onto a station when it opens up to do comms for the call.

I can ensure you that if a duty officer acknowledges a page they are going to ensure an appliance will respond. Thats the whole task and function of the duty officers roll.

Why have a system that makes more unnecessary work for volunteers when you've got a bunch of paid staff there to do the same thing, ah thats right it's called micro managing every single incident.
This is not unnecessary work. Are you saying that all communications and incident management should be done by staff? That the CFS have no need for stations and we have no need for bases as that can all be done by a bunch of paid staff that do the same thing. The "bunch" of staff doing this isn't that large and it doesn't scale up well on a state wide basis. What you call micro management I call better service for crews and the community.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »
im saying that people volunteer to respond...a captain doesnt respond to every callout just because he/she is captain.  Your pager goes off..from that moment its a choice..you say no...life goes on...you say yes...you get to the station and assume your position.

"On-Call" personell should only be Regional officers, paid staff...as they have an obligation to respond...they are paid to work without thinking of saying yes or no.   Volunteers have no obligations until they chose to respond.

Therefore making a volunteer a duty officer whose responsibility is to do this no matter what....contradicts the whole "volunteer" way of working.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »
But aren't all volunteers "on call" at some point in time.....?

Doesn't a brigade and Group, as a whole, have an obligation to respond (although it is not necessarily each individual's obligation to attend every call) ?

The Duty Officer is no different...when they take on the responsibility as duty officer, they have to respond.

The discussion here illustrates why we have a duty officer...they are required to respond in certain circumstances (even if we ignored the acknowledging of the pager message)...Regional Duty Officers are also obligated to respond to certain incidents (which they are advised of the Group Duty Officers!)

The whole Concept of Group Duty Officers means that an individual is not obligated to respond to every call, 365 days a year...it is shared between a number of people......

As for responsibilities - don't we all have some form of responsibility when we join the service?  As a Captain, I accepted the position, and hence the responsibility that goes with that.  I knew long before took on the position what was involved, and accepted that.

Unfortunately, within society generally, there are too many people who won't take responsibility for their own actions (eg everything that goes wrong is everyone else's fault, except my own).     As the Captain, I make decisions, and have to take responsibility for those actions...and live with the consequences of my decisions.   

To place people into a situation where they make decisions, but are not responsible for the consequences is a very dangerous place to go

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
yeh true pip...probably didnt word myself properly...just talking about the times that a duty officer is needed to respond to an incident.   Shouldnt it be the elected Group Officer/Deputy's...as he/she has accepted that postition of leadership thats been verifyed by the group as a whole through elections.   they would only be required if the severity of the incident needed his/her attendence.  cos a Group officer, let alone a Regional officer can respond as a plain firefighter (enjoyed great chats with RO's at brukunga recently :))

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »
There don't seem to be too many incidents where Duty Officers Must attend (although in many situations, they don't need to, but they do..which I think occurs way too often..but that is another topic !)

While generally GDO are Group Officers / Deputy group Officers, there are also others...surely succession planning should come into things...?

Again, those taking on the role of GDO should be doing it, knowing full well what the responsibilities are....if they aren't happy with the taking on that responsibility, then they don't take on the role!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
(although in many situations, they don't need to, but they do..which I think occurs way too often..but that is another topic !)

hehe yeh....thats thing im trying to point out.

While generally GDO are Group Officers / Deputy group Officers, there are also others...surely succession planning should come into things...?

Yeh if there is ultimately a need for a Duty officer, id assume Captains, DGO's and GO would be the ideal people.

is there actually standard operating procedure at all for the role of GDO?   seems to be individual group policy sort of thing, which highlights a higher level of segregation from other groups (like saying this is the "Woop woop Country Fire Service";  instead of the "Country fire services  Woop Woop Group").

groups need to work with each other much more then currently...plainly and simply said?

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
It is quite clear there are a handful of groups in some regions whose group officers are afraid of losing power over their little empire...

It is also clear that cfs brigades talk far too much on the radio, they need to adopt a short clear way of operating to save radio time. Jobs can run on local talkgroups chat amongst yourselves but book mobile, on scene, sitrep, returning and in station on one or 2 talkgroups allocated for your reason.

I noticed listening to a bit of Melbourne radio traffic they manage to operate the metropolitan fire district with 2 operators, by linking 2 talkgroups together they can cover southern and central, northern and western easily. CFA do a similar thing and no offence to CFS but they do a few more jobs then SA. When you have volunteers stations doing over 1000 calls a year and having staff stations more then that there is not a lot of radio traffic, they just don't crap on.

Instead of CFS once again trying to reinvent the wheel look elsewhere and maybe get some guidance in systems that are proven and work.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
mobile, on scene, sitrep, returning and in station

thats probably too much....Acknowledgement, Mobile and Moving to Local comm's channel is Adelaide Fires role.....they dont really care about returning and in station. cos theyll page you for incidents till you actually say "brigade is unavailable for further incidents". once current jobs are complete, just ring them up on the land line to reactivate brigade responses.

Responding further brigades is another bunch of radio chatter which could be econimised
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:25:58 PM by Dezza »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2007, 12:44:19 AM »

It is also clear that cfs brigades talk far too much on the radio, they need to adopt a short clear way of operating to save radio time. Jobs can run on local talkgroups chat amongst yourselves but book mobile, on scene, sitrep, returning and in station on one or 2 talkgroups allocated for your reason.

A good start would be to drop some of the pro words - like "out" & "over"...it is a hang over from the days of HF......

Some brigades are doing some excellent radio comms (and they don't seem to be using out & over!,) but there are many who just dribble on.....perhaps with SACAD coming, we could use the opportunity (stating now) to change some of our radio procedures to be more efficient....?

Pip

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2007, 05:01:56 PM »
Maybe

Nothing really is gonna change except for minor improvements till May/June/July next year,  thats my bet.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
Just remember whatever comes of it the MFS will eventually have the final say. Go figure.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »
but all we know the CFS OCO's at MFS comcen have the best voices  :mrgreen:

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
There don't seem to be too many incidents where Duty Officers Must attend (although in many situations, they don't need to, but they do..which I think occurs way too often..but that is another topic !)

Again, those taking on the role of GDO should be doing it, knowing full well what the responsibilities are....if they aren't happy with the taking on that responsibility, then they don't take on the role!![/color         

the attendance or non attendance of the duty officer is usually triggered by certain perameters set by the groups SOPS to assume control.but that being said their actual attendance if outside of these perameters should be in a support role.
whether it be using the group/command vehicle in a fend off position for an MVA , as a driver for the incident controller,the run around guy for supplies or whatever the crew needs,in short the GDO ,DGO,s & GO,s should there to assist the crews not to micro-manage everything,if they do always assume control sort it out at group sooner rather than later.
as far as the GDO being either the DGO or GO your right it doesnt have to be them, but it surely needs to be someone that has the experience for the role ,the confidence of the group and immediate access to a command vehicle.
the succession planning of groups should be something that is well underway and anyone interested in taking on a brigade or group position (pumprescue)should let it be known,instead of just sniping at people that had the guts/time/commitment to have a go.
               jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »

Again, those taking on the role of GDO should be doing it, knowing full well what the responsibilities are....if they aren't happy with the taking on that responsibility, then they don't take on the role!![/color         

the attendance or non attendance of the duty officer is usually triggered by certain perameters set by the groups SOPS to assume control.but that being said their actual attendance if outside of these perameters should be in a support role.
whether it be using the group/command vehicle in a fend off position for an MVA , as a driver for the incident controller,the run around guy for supplies or whatever the crew needs,in short the GDO ,DGO,s & GO,s should there to assist the crews not to micro-manage everything,if they do always assume control sort it out at group sooner rather than later.
as far as the GDO being either the DGO or GO your right it doesnt have to be them, but it surely needs to be someone that has the experience for the role ,the confidence of the group and immediate access to a command vehicle.
the succession planning of groups should be something that is well underway and anyone interested in taking on a brigade or group position (pumprescue)should let it be known,instead of just sniping at people that had the guts/time/commitment to have a go.
               jaff

Umm, that was pretty much what I said....   :-D

Pip

rescue5271

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2007, 07:10:12 AM »
If we go to one talk group thenext step from what was said to me,is that groups will not be able to page from the group base when CAD comes on line.So in other words where a group base has a PC and they can now send out a pager message to the brigade this will be removed and all paging will have to go via coms in adelaide....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2007, 07:52:32 AM »
If we go to one talk group thenext step from what was said to me,is that groups will not be able to page from the group base when CAD comes on line.So in other words where a group base has a PC and they can now send out a pager message to the brigade this will be removed and all paging will have to go via coms in adelaide....

Isn't that a good thing? With all response paging coming from a single source?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...