Author Topic: Cheating the system!?!?  (Read 14456 times)

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Cheating the system!?!?
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:53:05 PM »
okay, this is really odd. but i have just left a ses unit due to many reasons within the unit.
this unit has been stuggling all year with financial reasons and for crews in general, there are many things wrong with the unit, that will not get fixed, coz they ignor the problems and safety is a magor part of that aswell.(ie not wearing any PPE when using chainsaws and stuff)
anywayz now i have left the unit, is it within my responsibility to tell state head quarters that they are cheating the system? i did report the safety issues( within the unit) but nothing was done about them.
so is it my responsibility to 'report' this and if so who to?

I say what i think, coz im allowed to have an opinion.

rescue5271

Re: Cheating the system!?!?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »
Do you guys have a exit interview?? if so bring it up then and they will wont to know who why and where.......If this is going on then there needs to be someone will balls who is willing to say something..... what would have happended if someone got hurt and they where not wearing the correct PPE??? and where was the unit manager while all this was going on..........

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:46:54 PM »
Do you guys have a exit interview?? if so bring it up then and they will wont to know who why and where.......If this is going on then there needs to be someone will balls who is willing to say something..... what would have happended if someone got hurt and they where not wearing the correct PPE??? and where was the unit manager while all this was going on..........

YOU know wat .............it was the unit manager that was not wearing the PPE, and we stoped him and told him.........and his reply "i dont need to, i have 35 years expereince behind me, i know what to  do".
anyway the real worry is the other issues. oh and no to the exit interview, as far as i know.
so u rekon i should say something anyway?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »
I think you should say something - you'll only be helping the unit in the long run...

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:50:51 AM »
I would say something,it would only help the service but this may also by why there are not new members joining..Just beacuse you have 35 or 5 years in the service does not mean you wont get hurt and that is why you should wear your PPE.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 08:32:09 AM »
It depends, what wasn't he wearing in terms of chainsaw operation?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:51:03 AM »
It depends, what wasn't he wearing in terms of chainsaw operation?

he had his overalls on thats it.
was they werent wearing, helmet ear plugs glasses chaps or gloves. and he was cutting at a height, like a branch above his head.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »
Yep, fair enough. That really is pushing the limits of PPE wearing.

I believe I know who you're talking about and well, yeah, it doesn't surprise me. I'm just sorry for you and the rest of the switched on people in your unit.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
I agree with CFS_Firey.  So are you joining another unit instead?  you would be welcome in the local CFS too I'm sure.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 09:44:08 AM »
     Wearing just overalls using a chainsaw is about as safe a firies wearing a Lycra jumpsuit to a fire. He obviously doesn't believe in setting an example, if he that experienced then he should know better, neither the SES or the CFS need people like that.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 09:59:11 AM »
okay, this is really odd. but i have just left a ses unit due to many reasons within the unit.
this unit has been stuggling all year with financial reasons and for crews in general, there are many things wrong with the unit, that will not get fixed, coz they ignor the problems and safety is a magor part of that aswell.(ie not wearing any PPE when using chainsaws and stuff)
anywayz now i have left the unit, is it within my responsibility to tell state head quarters that they are cheating the system? i did report the safety issues( within the unit) but nothing was done about them.
so is it my responsibility to 'report' this and if so who to?

Contact either SES Central Region office, David the VSO at Mt Barker or SASESVA via myself or Lyn. The SASESVA contacts are listed inside front cover of Frontline magazine. Otherwise private message me.

The reasons for yourself leaving need to be addressed....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Hippy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 10:05:28 AM »
This issue has been dealt with at unit level. The senior members brought this up at a committee meeting and it was both addressed and to our knowledge had finished. If the issue was continuing, why was the issue not brought back to attention? Considering present climate one might think its convenient that certain members have decided to start causing trouble.

If you choose not to inform your seniors of other issues at the time, then are you not also "cheating the system?" Not to mention circumventing the chain of command?

The financial reasons you mention are no different to any other emergency service unit in SA, sure it doesnt help that most of our budget is taken away by $22k of rent each year but hey, we have lasted the last 5+ years and will last longer still.

It should also be mentioned in light of recent events that you should be careful what kind of dirty laundry you air and where. Internet based comments can still be considered Libel.

Do you guys have a exit interview??
I beleive State HQ do call members for random exit interviews.

I believe I know who you're talking about and well, yeah, it doesn't surprise me.
I think you are referring to the issues with the ex unit manager, who was somewhat infamous for his somewhat cowboy antics. The current UM has done nothing but improve the relationships that previous management destroyed with both the local CFS and other organisations in the area.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »
I believe I know who you're talking about and well, yeah, it doesn't surprise me.

I think you are referring to the issues with the ex unit manager, who was somewhat infamous for his somewhat cowboy antics. The current UM has done nothing but improve the relationships that previous management destroyed with both the local CFS and other organisations in the area.

There is nothing 'EX' about the unit manager I know champ.

Now, how about people try to deal with things at their own Brigade/Unit/Service, rather than turning SAFF into a public shitflinging episode. Its happened on multiple occasions over the past years.

Offline Hippy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »

Now, how about people try to deal with things at their own Brigade/Unit/Service, rather than turning SAFF into a public shitflinging episode. Its happened on multiple occasions over the past years.

Isn't that what I was just saying champ? evidently literacy isn't your strong point..

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 10:55:44 AM »

Isn't that what I was just saying champ? evidently literacy isn't your strong point..

Sorry champ, as you yourself have shown that literacy is far from your own strong point, I'll try to explain myself to you. Pay more attention this time around:

You suggested the UM I knew was the infamous, ex UM. I suggested it wasn't. I then went on to make a comment regarding multiple threads on these boards, concerning not only SES issues. This was in contrast to your discussion regarding the aforementioned matter of an occurrence of a breach of SOP's/SOG's regarding the issue of wearing correct PPE for a given operation.

So now, how about you stop being your typical "holier than thou" SES member, an relax a little.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »
Lets keep it civil

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
This issue has been dealt with at unit level. The senior members brought this up at a committee meeting and it was both addressed and to our knowledge had finished. If the issue was continuing, why was the issue not brought back to attention? Considering present climate one might think its convenient that certain members have decided to start causing trouble.

If you choose not to inform your seniors of other issues at the time, then are you not also "cheating the system?" Not to mention circumventing the chain of command?

The financial reasons you mention are no different to any other emergency service unit in SA, sure it doesnt help that most of our budget is taken away by $22k of rent each year but hey, we have lasted the last 5+ years and will last longer still.

It should also be mentioned in light of recent events that you should be careful what kind of dirty laundry you air and where. Internet based comments can still be considered Libel.

HA! fancy talking to you on here......
im not trying causing trouble.
 and i did bring it up again...but wat ya know...it got swept under the carpet. didnt surprise me.
ahwell... thats life.
oh and instead of sitting round complaing bout not gettin enough funds why woudnt the unit listen to anyones fundraising ideas. i know another brigade that did a BBQ and raised $700!!!! wasnt hard 4 ppl, for a matter of 4 hours. and there was ppl adel hills unit wiling to do that. but it never got the okay, wen i suggested it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
This will not be allowed to degrade into an argument.....If you have constructive feedback/criticism that is welcome here, it might wake someone up. But this site is not for mudslinging etc. etc.....

In my view the time for action on these matters is while you are a member. You have shared your views loud and clear by leaving the unit.

Why not move on and enjoy your time or find another organisation that suits you.

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »
This will not be allowed to degrade into an argument.....If you have constructive feedback/criticism that is welcome here, it might wake someone up. But this site is not for mudslinging etc. etc.....

In my view the time for action on these matters is while you are a member. You have shared your views loud and clear by leaving the unit.

Why not move on and enjoy your time or find another organisation that suits you.

understood. and yes i am in another service. cfs. very nice bunch of locals and knowledgable.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »
why didnt you take the correct course and lodge OHS forms?

If you were was truly concerned about your unit and you wanted to do something then maybe accident/near miss forms would have been the way to go... something official.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »

If you were was truly concerned about your unit and you wanted to do something then maybe accident/near miss forms would have been the way to go... something official.
Mind you, there are numerous occasions where OHS reports and the forming of paper trails has not done a thing to fix issues.

Offline Lizzy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »

i didnt know about them. i hadent been in the unit very long. nor been told wat to do in that situation. so for the first couple of times yes i honestly did let it go coz i was unsure.
least now i know.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
least now i know.

And at least now, you're not wearing a silly orange jumpsuit :P

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »

i didnt know about them. i hadent been in the unit very long. nor been told wat to do in that situation. so for the first couple of times yes i honestly did let it go coz i was unsure.
least now i know.

Interesting comment....given that this is part of the SES Induction Course that every member needs to undertake has part of Level 1 training.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:54:59 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »

HA! fancy talking to you on here......
im not trying causing trouble.
 and i did bring it up again...but wat ya know...it got swept under the carpet. didnt surprise me.
ahwell... thats life.
oh and instead of sitting round complaing bout not gettin enough funds why woudnt the unit listen to anyones fundraising ideas. i know another brigade that did a BBQ and raised $700!!!! wasnt hard 4 ppl, for a matter of 4 hours. and there was ppl adel hills unit wiling to do that. but it never got the okay, wen i suggested it.

Just for everyone's information, an offer to have the issues recorded on the reason for the volunteer leaving has been made. Various methods were offered that included internal SES & external via VSO.

The offer has not been accepted.

I have contacted another person for advice today and until the volunteer comes forward for the problem to be documented, no action can be taken.

The internet is toooo anonymous and not enough details have been provided.

A pity because feedback information has now been lost.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:56:09 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael