Author Topic: new fittings  (Read 25642 times)

rescue5271

Re: new fittings
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 06:45:07 AM »
BIC are bulky and they tend to need replacing alot as the interlock breaks or just stops working at all and they would not last here in SA due to heavy water and the corrosion factor...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:27 AM »
Sorry but that is speculation. Aviation fire services use them in SA.

They need a little bit of care but that's it, like anything if you care for it it works as intended.

Offline Evac

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 06:48:34 PM »
Well after having used BIC couplings for years and thinking how careful you had to be with them and how much maintenance was required compared to the London Round couplings... Now after being in WA for 3 months and using BIC on a mine site. Treat them like crap and they still work fine. The water we use for fire fighting is 9 times saltier than sea water, the clean up water is marginally less than sea water and the couplings are fine. All they get is a squirt of CRC or similar after use. And we don't have a lot of bitumen out here either, so they stand up well in a fairly aggresive environment.
Practice Doesn't Make Perfect....... Perfect Practice Makes Perfect..

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 08:46:10 PM »
Sorry but that is speculation. Aviation fire services use them in SA.

They need a little bit of care but that's it, like anything if you care for it it works as intended.

I agree. I have spoken to a number of people who use them out in the real world and they don't have any issues at all !

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 01:34:25 AM »
I think you meant to post in the humour section champ.

Lets try using the coupling you are talking about, THEN posting. The worst thing about stortz is waiting around at the door to a burning house to get water in the line, because the thing has gone together so fast.

I've never had an issue with suction hose either, we are talking 150mm lengths here...

God forbid you occasionally use a stortz spanner.

Brrrrr... wrong !   We have got & use Storz.

Our 34 has 120mm, 65mm, & 38mm Storz on it.
Might even be a couple of 25mm still tucked away in some dark recess.
We have to use adaptors for everything except the HP lines.
Our trailer pump is 120mm Storz. As is the portable on 34 (it looks
silly but at least it matches the truck).
Have also played with the RFS on the odd occasion (100% Storz)
So much for not using it hey ?

So my experience is:
Storz on soft hoses are ok in the small sizes. No better or worse than
Wajax, quicker & easier than than BSP or Barway, a distant trailer
behind Minsup (now *that* is a magic coupling for small hoses).
But CFS isn't going Storz on small hoses...

Storz on 64/65mm delivery can be a pain to lock home without keys.
Some couplings seem to go together easier than most, but I'm stuffed
if I can see a difference why that might be so.

It's hard suction that causes the most grief, the bigger it is, the
worser it is.  At best, with practiced operators who understand the
alignment & cleanliness hassles, hooking up large suction is "tedious".
With newbies on the hose it is like watching crocodile wrestling.
And the u-beaut folding handles that look soooo clever have enough
leverage for the strongest 30% of members only. Time & again it'd
be quicker & less stressful to hook up 2 or 3 SAFB 64mm suction than
a single 120mm Storz.

Your experience is poles different to mine/ours. So you must be
tackling them differently.  How do you treat, maintain & operate
them to work for you rather than against you ?

cheers
AJ
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »
youd be surpised if you found out your talking to someone who works with storz day in day out....lol

Offline Evac

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 05:34:16 PM »
Any coupling is only as good as the person using them!
Practice Doesn't Make Perfect....... Perfect Practice Makes Perfect..

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »
Gold

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
Brrrrr... wrong !   We have got & use Storz.

Our 34 has 120mm, 65mm, & 38mm Storz on it.
Might even be a couple of 25mm still tucked away in some dark recess.
We have to use adaptors for everything except the HP lines.
Our trailer pump is 120mm Storz. As is the portable on 34 (it looks
silly but at least it matches the truck).
Have also played with the RFS on the odd occasion (100% Storz)
So much for not using it hey ?

So my experience is:
Storz on soft hoses are ok in the small sizes. No better or worse than
Wajax, quicker & easier than than BSP or Barway, a distant trailer
behind Minsup (now *that* is a magic coupling for small hoses).
But CFS isn't going Storz on small hoses...

Storz on 64/65mm delivery can be a pain to lock home without keys.
Some couplings seem to go together easier than most, but I'm stuffed
if I can see a difference why that might be so.

It's hard suction that causes the most grief, the bigger it is, the
worser it is.  At best, with practiced operators who understand the
alignment & cleanliness hassles, hooking up large suction is "tedious".
With newbies on the hose it is like watching crocodile wrestling.
And the u-beaut folding handles that look soooo clever have enough
leverage for the strongest 30% of members only. Time & again it'd
be quicker & less stressful to hook up 2 or 3 SAFB 64mm suction than
a single 120mm Storz.

Your experience is poles different to mine/ours. So you must be
tackling them differently.  How do you treat, maintain & operate
them to work for you rather than against you ?

cheers
AJ
What brigade are you from champ? The amount of non-standard hose stowage you have sounds really interesting.

I'm just surprised that you and I have had two very difering experiences using Stortz. Yeah 64mm and up can occasionally be a pain, but thats why you've got a hose spanner in you turnout gear... right? ;) Apart from that 38mm and 25mm go together easy as pie 99% of the time.

As for larger hard suction, yeah, it can be a bit of a shitfight sometimes, but no moreso than 64mm.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 03:47:15 AM »
What brigade are you from champ? The amount of non-standard hose stowage you have sounds really interesting.

I'm just surprised that you and I have had two very difering experiences using Stortz. Yeah 64mm and up can occasionally be a pain, but thats why you've got a hose spanner in you turnout gear... right? ;) Apart from that 38mm and 25mm go together easy as pie 99% of the time.

As for larger hard suction, yeah, it can be a bit of a shitfight sometimes, but no moreso than 64mm.

Hmmmm.... evidently I should clarify - the appliance inlets/outlets are Storz, & our hard suction is Storz. Our soft hose couplings are more-or-less standard 64mm SAFB & 25mm Barway. 

So every time a delivery hose is connected, an adaptor goes on first - sometimes easily, sometimes not. (we carry a lot of adaptors!) These can rarely can be locked/unlocked without a key.  Suction, never.  You indicated earlier that it shouldn't be that difficult. I figure you are doing something different to us.

I still say SAFB is easier for suction - it is sufficient merely to present the hose coupling nearly right - a loose-ish female collar can be started & will pull the hose into alignment as it is tightened.  Storz hasn't got the lateral play, so the whole hose has to be aligned by the operator before the coupling is aligned & can be started.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »
Hmmmm.... evidently I should clarify - the appliance inlets/outlets are Storz, & our hard suction is Storz. Our soft hose couplings are more-or-less standard 64mm SAFB & 25mm Barway. 

So every time a delivery hose is connected, an adaptor goes on first - sometimes easily, sometimes not. (we carry a lot of adaptors!) These can rarely can be locked/unlocked without a key.  Suction, never.  You indicated earlier that it shouldn't be that difficult. I figure you are doing something different to us.

I still say SAFB is easier for suction - it is sufficient merely to present the hose coupling nearly right - a loose-ish female collar can be started & will pull the hose into alignment as it is tightened.  Storz hasn't got the lateral play, so the whole hose has to be aligned by the operator before the coupling is aligned & can be started.

cheers

If all your hose is SAFB, why not leave adapters on your pumps collectors and deliveries permanently? Mind you, if you're still using Barway for your 25mm I feel for you. For your HP line yeah, but all your 25mm? Jesus, get Stortz or Wajax. You're meant to have wajax anyhow aren't you?

The issue with suction you might find is that having an SAFB coupling for anything larger than 64mm is getting too big, too heavy and too hard to handle. The lateral play you talk about being great, is also the downfall of SAFB, couplings can work loose over time and especially after being shifted around. This is not so bad for delivery hoses, but kiss goodbye to any prime you achieved, and say hello to pump cavitation.

Isn't 64mm suction hose becoming a thing of the past? All your Booster Systems will be running with 100-150mm stortz suction outlets if they have them, and 100-150mm fills the first aid tank *much* faster than 64mm ever will.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 09:58:59 AM »
Mind you, if you're still using Barway for your 25mm I feel for you. For your HP line yeah, but all your 25mm? Jesus, get Stortz or Wajax. You're meant to have wajax anyhow aren't you?

yes and this is something I'd like to see a big crackdown on.  As a service we are never going to get everyone to agree on what is "best".  A fitting has been chosen (forestry/wajax in this case) so everyone needs to have it for interoperability with other appliances/crews.  (adaptors are a poor workaround)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
If all your hose is SAFB, why not leave adapters on your pumps collectors and deliveries permanently?

The outlets are flush to the tray edges - leaving them on makes the vehicle overwidth & the fittings exposed to stray gate posts & etc.

Mind you, if you're still using Barway for your 25mm I feel for you. For your HP line yeah, but all your 25mm? Jesus, get Stortz or Wajax. You're meant to have wajax anyhow aren't you?

It has been mentioned just once or 10 times...

The issue with suction you might find is that having an SAFB coupling for anything larger than 64mm is getting too big, too heavy and too hard to handle. The lateral play you talk about being great, is also the downfall of SAFB, couplings can work loose over time and especially after being shifted around. This is not so bad for delivery hoses, but kiss goodbye to any prime you achieved, and say hello to pump cavitation.

never had this issue for this reason. Not saying it can't happen, just haven't had it happen.

Isn't 64mm suction hose becoming a thing of the past? All your Booster Systems will be running with 100-150mm stortz suction outlets if they have them, and 100-150mm fills the first aid tank *much* faster than 64mm ever will.

Agreed on speed. Cannot comment about 64mm suction lifecycle - seems to be a fair bit of it around. Might be only older appliances have it ? 

Curious about the comment implying putting hard suction on a booster. Doesn't sound right to me...

Still need an answer for my immediate issue - what can we do to improve our "Storz Experience" ? Is there a lubricant that doesn't attact crud ?  Is there something we can do to/for the seals to make them more user friendly ?
etc

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
Curious about the comment implying putting hard suction on a booster. Doesn't sound right to me...

Some boosters are fed by tank supplies rather than, or in addition to, mains supplies.  These boosters are designed to be draughted out of.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 12:08:19 PM »
CFS Firey has it in one.

Some areas, particualrly those with poor mains pressure, have large tank supply feeds, which are draughted from. -As said by CFS Firey. :)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
If all your hose is SAFB, why not leave adapters on your pumps collectors and deliveries permanently?

The outlets are flush to the tray edges - leaving them on makes the vehicle overwidth & the fittings exposed to stray gate posts & etc.
I didn't think that CFS 34's were built 2.5m wide?

It has been mentioned just once or 10 times...

Whats been mentioned? I fail to see the need for your hundreds of adaptors, when with a little time spent here and there, you could never have to worry about adapting anything again!

Still need an answer for my immediate issue - what can we do to improve our "Storz Experience" ? Is there a lubricant that doesn't attact crud ?  Is there something we can do to/for the seals to make them more user friendly ?
etc

Wish I could help you mate. It could be the type of seal, or they may not be used very often. As I've said before, I've never had your on going problem, with 99% of stortz going on nice and easy. They do take a bit of force, but usually nothing that *needs* the spanners.

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »
Very interesting Fire frog wonder why they have never considered BIC we use it at my work as well and it is amazingly quick. Only on 38mm hose not 64mm.

Did a course with N.S.W. fire fighters recently and we were using SAFB London round at a certain training centre and yes they wondered why we are still in the dark ages with hoses considering MFS and CFS are pretty much up the top with everything else!

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2007, 04:40:17 PM »
They (whoever they is) probably did consider it - I would suggest that BIC have a bad reputation, people that have never even held one will say with authority that they are no good.

Bizarre!!!!!!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
They (whoever they is) probably did consider it - I would suggest that BIC have a bad reputation, people that have never even held one will say with authority that they are no good.

Bizarre!!!!!!

I love those people... Nothing like an expert mate..! Have never seen it, have no idea what your talking bout, not even listening, yet still have an opinion which is apparently right.. ??!!..

rescue5271

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2007, 04:51:20 PM »
I have used BIC before while doing defence force work and found them not too but but when i worked on oils rigs doing service work we did find problems and then again due to salt... I have also found that BIC does need more TLC but that is my view....

Offline fireblade

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2007, 08:18:10 PM »
We use BIC in the oil and gas industry and they get put under the hammer as we use really salty bore water for our fire water and have pressures of 1100 kpa at the hydrant head due to 3 large pumps on the ring main and large Rosenbauer pumps on the appliances. I think that they are ok, really quick to snap together at a job would just need to teach CFS that the female goes to the fire.

But after talking to N.S.W. fire fighters both rural and urban they are more than happy with stortz.

So any change would be good but i cant see it happening in a hurry considering at CFS we are still wearing FRP cylinders instead of carbon fibre. Oops thats another can of worms!

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

[/quote]

I love those people... Nothing like an expert mate..! Have never seen it, have no idea what your talking bout, not even listening, yet still have an opinion which is apparently right.. ??!!..
[/quote]

Yea tell me about it!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2007, 11:09:52 PM »
Some boosters are fed by tank supplies rather than, or in addition to, mains supplies.  These boosters are designed to be draughted out of.

Ta for that.
Have seen a couple - didn't make the connection (if you'll pardon the pun).  Regarded it as "draughting" out of a tank rather than "boosting" mains. Keeps it simple for my poor addled brain. We do more of the former than the latter.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

anything