Author Topic: RCR Ages  (Read 28037 times)

Offline Chance

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
RCR Ages
« on: October 05, 2007, 04:27:12 PM »
Just a Quick question, what is the Standard SOP for the minimun age requirment for attending an rcr job.
have come across differnt veiws from differnt brigades.
My brigade will not let some one on the truck if they are under 18.
A friend is in a brigade that dosnt have this and also have a RCR trained member who is 17.
Also What are the rules for cutting glass. is a haulegine tool really an option?

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RCR Ages
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »
Just a Quick question, what is the Standard SOP for the minimun age requirment for attending an rcr job.

Also What are the rules for cutting glass. is a haulegine tool really an option?

I've never heard of having an age restriction.
This may be a brigade choice, in an endeavour to keep younger members from seeing potentially ugly things at an MVA?
I don't know many brigades with the luxury of making this exclusion either, particularly as at most MVA scenes there is plenty to do without being directly involved in the carnage.

I'm sure you could use a hooligan tool (I presume that's what you mean?) to break glass, and it would do so very effectively. It could also be very messy!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
I don't see any reason for excluding people off trucks, based on ages. There are some 16yr olds that are closer to 20, and others that are closer to 12. Its better to have people at incidents, and then pass them off to do traffic control, or other such things. To be an effective member at future RCR's, you do need to be exposed to the trauma of RCR.

Also... HALLIGAN... Not Hooligan, or haulegine or any other name.

Are you cutting glass or breaking glass? For cutting glass, I'd use either a Glass master, Recip Saw, axe or sledge axe before even entertaining the possibility of the Halligan - Would you try to use the Metal Cutting Claw?

If you are breaking glass, I'd try to use, a glass hammer, marlin spike & lump hammer or multigrips before using the Halligan. You *could* use it, but I'd suggest it would be far more messy than any of the above options.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »
I wouldnt say no to a under 18 getting onto a truck if it means that single person makes the appliances able to go mobile ASAP, and im sure as a crew, watching out for eachother is something everyone does.

To be an effective member at future RCR's, you do need to be exposed to the trauma of RCR.

i agree to that,  as it is certainly hard the first few times....its all about learning to get the job done and minimizing stress to yourself.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »
SESSA - 18 there is no option. As for cutting laminated glass the hooligan tool from Fire and Rescue is excellent. Good if you want to remove the roof instead of a fold forward. By the way thats what it is called in the catalogues - a halligan tool is by a different manufacturer and has a different claw.
Yep seen young people (under 18)from CFS @ RCR's even a double incineration at KOM. Not sure how many are still active, but as a father of a seventeen year old daughter who will become an adult member in a couple of weeks, I would not have allowed her to attend an incident like that even if the service permitted it.
Cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
SESSA - 18 there is no option. As for cutting laminated glass the hooligan tool from Fire and Rescue is excellent. Good if you want to remove the roof instead of a fold forward. By the way thats what it is called in the catalogues - a halligan tool is by a different manufacturer and has a different claw.
Yep seen young people (under 18)from CFS @ RCR's even a double incineration at KOM. Not sure how many are still active, but as a father of a seventeen year old daughter who will become an adult member in a couple of weeks, I would not have allowed her to attend an incident like that even if the service permitted it.
Cheers

What part of the Halligan do you use to cut the class? The Adz?

My apologies, got confused between cheap knock offs. The Hooligan is the cheap 3 pin knock off version of the drop forged Halligan... nothing to do with the ends.

Halligan type tools include both Pro-Bars and Hooligans, its all about the copyrights... :(
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 06:56:52 PM by 6793264 »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:00:43 PM »
Don't know about cheap - as someone who is responsible for the unit budget, I wouldn't say $700 + is cheap. We use the claw, it it taught on our course and is praticed regularly. It creates less glass dust than a recipro & with a good operator faster. cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:53:13 PM »
The claw? Fair enough, our Halligans don't have the claw on the end, so we are left with the adz or the axe... Have to try that out next time I'm around a Claw version.

Cheap, in terms of material and manufacture. You can break 3-pin Hooligans, whereas the single piece Halligan really only bends.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:28:04 PM »
Its a Paratech, they claim that it won't but thanks for that info (we got a couple so might see if we can :wink:)
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
Just try to force a few doors of varying construction and locking methods...  :evil:

uniden

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:43:12 PM »
Isnt this supposed to be about rcr ages?? BTW if members are old enough to ride the appliances then they should be old and mature enough to attend a ny incidents. There is only one way to get experience.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »
Sorry mate got carried away (off topic) & we will :wink:.
Our policy is if you are under 18 you don't go on callouts & as I said before everytime I see the young people from CFS at a bad RCR job I see the look on there faces and wonder if they will stick with your service.
I must admit we did have a cadet at a triple fatal (SUV under a B double), she was there only because we had taken her to a tree down job to get experience (against policy), when we got the call. However she was 300 mtrs away doing traffic, was not allowed near the scene and was not around when the bodies were recovered.
Until the policy changes (unlikely) then we won't have under 18's at RCR; they are not allowed to attend the RCR course anyway so why take them? cheers

Ken
just another retard!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 09:25:39 PM »
If you are going to get people young or old to do traffic for nasty RCR  or any slightly prolonged incident it is also a good idea especially if they are new, to get another person to do it withe them and to also give them reasonably frequent sitreps.

I personally find it incredibly annoying being on traffic and not haveing the slightest idea about what is actauly happening and vague ideas about how long you will be standing there. It is also a good idea if possible to swap peoples roles around.

uniden

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
Well for CFS people can ride once they are 16 and have completed BFF1. So you will likely get 16 YO at MVAs. Of course it is importand to talk to them during ( if possible) and after the job to make sure the less experienced people are ok. Also to keep them in the loop of what is happenning particularly at the nasty ones.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »
The claw? Fair enough, our Halligans don't have the claw on the end, so we are left with the adz or the axe... Have to try that out next time I'm around a Claw version.

Cheap, in terms of material and manufacture. You can break 3-pin Hooligans, whereas the single piece Halligan really only bends.

Sorry to drag off topic again, but the claw works greta on laminated glass makes a hell of a mess but that can be cut down by putting shaving cream along the windscreen. Not the most common thing in an RCR kit but it comes in handy. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
Have a chat to the safecom SPAM team about ages - they will give you a very different view. Age is very important. A young person all though mature and competent is unlikely to have developed the coping mechanisms to deal with significant trauma or death.

I have been part of SPAM briefings where it was strongly suggested people under 20 should be used with caution in the interests of their health and longevity in the services. Now that wont be practical in a lot of cases but it is certainly a different perspective and one that has been long-standing in CFS spam circles (as I understand it).

The concept that people should be exposed to RCR trauma to prepare them is archaic and very odd. If people can avoid the exposure it is far better. Exposure to trauma and death can have a cumulative effect on people. So if we pre-emptively expose young people we aren't helping them prepare we are potentially reducing there long term capacity for this type of work.

IMO

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »
The concept that people should be exposed to RCR trauma to prepare them is archaic and very odd. If people can avoid the exposure it is far better. Exposure to trauma and death can have a cumulative effect on people. So if we pre-emptively expose young people we aren't helping them prepare we are potentially reducing there long term capacity for this type of work.

IMO

Its whatever works for the individual really. Personally I love the fact that Spam exists, but I hate when debriefs are made compulsory. I'm not suggesting that you pull your 16year old member aside and she them dead bodies, but from personal experience I've found that the gradual expose to trauma (eg: From traffic control, to fire cover, to extrication) has really helped me cope with the worst jobs.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »
i haven't experienced this but have been told that fire cover is the worst position because you are just standing their watching the scene. where as if you are cutting etc your concentration is on your task etc. do others find this?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 11:31:54 AM »
but from personal experience I've found that the gradual expose to trauma (eg: From traffic control, to fire cover, to extrication) has really helped me cope with the worst jobs.

thats exactly the way my brigade works :)   gradual exposure works.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »
i haven't experienced this but have been told that fire cover is the worst position because you are just standing their watching the scene. where as if you are cutting etc your concentration is on your task etc. do others find this?

For a non-RCR trained person its better because you don't *have* to be watching anything, just positioned to protect the rescue crew if the car goes up. Plus you've got your 38 in your hand and have a task to do.

This is much better than being a spare pair of hands for rescue board positioning or in car spinal stabilization.

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »
Well for CFS people can ride once they are 16 and have completed BFF1. So you will likely get 16 YO at MVAs. Of course it is importand to talk to them during ( if possible) and after the job to make sure the less experienced people are ok. Also to keep them in the loop of what is happenning particularly at the nasty ones.

I could be wrong but if you want to be a firefighter you now need to be 18 unless you have been through cadets in which case you can be a firefighter at 16....can anyone confirm or deny this?

As far as SPAM is concerned.....They really shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush...i know plenty of under 18's that have been to fatality's and are fine and never have had any emotional problems with this. 

Maybe people from the country are a bit tougher then the city/urban fringe folk?   :lol:

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 05:22:02 PM »

I could be wrong but if you want to be a firefighter you now need to be 18 unless you have been through cadets in which case you can be a firefighter at 16....can anyone confirm or deny this?

As far as SPAM is concerned.....They really shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush...i know plenty of under 18's that have been to fatality's and are fine and never have had any emotional problems with this. 

Maybe people from the country are a bit tougher then the city/urban fringe folk?   :lol:

Its still 16 as far as I know, but if you read the SAFECOM Act... well its reads a little differently.

As far as you knowing *plenty* of under 18's that have been to fatalities and have never ever had issues and are just fine and dandy, I'm very surprised.

Each to their own.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
Same Same as anyone who knows someone or has had Post Traumatic Stress disorder its not as clear cut as that. But as was said each to their own.
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
Same Same as anyone who knows someone or has had Post Traumatic Stress disorder its not as clear cut as that. But as was said each to their own.

No Chook, you are QUITE wrong, as Crank has told us, he knows of MANY people under 18, who react to the sight a horrid road trauma as they would to their toast popping in the toaster of a morning.

Post Truamatic Stress Disorder only happens to City people because Country folk are tough as nails.

Now, go get a can of harden-up you urban-fringe dwellers!

:|

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »
Oh well I might have to move to the big smoke then  :wink:
Ken
just another retard!

anything