Author Topic: New Radio Callsigns  (Read 5041 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
New Radio Callsigns
« on: October 08, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
As some of you may know there has been talk of a new call sign structure for SES.
After some discussion, its here! Thankfully its not as confusing as first proposed, in fact it makes sense to me.
But what do you think?
Vehicles:
1x (1, 2 etc) reserved for future use
2x (1, 2 etc) Light 2 Wheel Drive vehicle
3x (1, 2 etc) Primary General Rescue Vehicle (GRV)
4x (1, 2 etc) Light 4 Wheel Drive vehicle
5x (1, 2 etc) reserved for future use
6x (1, 2 etc) Logistics Vehicle
7x (1, 2 etc) Field Command / Communications vehicle
8x (1, 2 etc) Marine Vessel
9x (1, 2 etc) Primary Road Crash Rescue vehicle
So now I have a 91,31,41 & 81, RCR Vehicle, General rescue Vehicle, a 4x4 troup carrier and a boat. I think it makes sense, at least know I know that if I'm talking to Onawoopwoop 91 it's a RCR truck. Thankfully all of the confusing words after the number have gone! And if Central 1 is on the radio, its their regional commander and we all know who state one is :-D. Anyway what do you think? It starts 15 October 2007.
cheers
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:22:38 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Jimmy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: New Radio Callsigns
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:34:52 AM »
Well they're giving us plenty of notice if the October 15 date is accurate!

Does anyone know what the rational behind this move is? Seeing as all resource tracking is done at a unit level... and the the stockage of the same category of vehicles differs both within and between units what is the benefit of a standardised call sign for a vehicle?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:03:01 AM »
6x (1, 2 etc) Logistics Vehicle

so no plans to get 6 wheel drive vehicles I guess.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Well they're giving us plenty of notice if the October 15 date is accurate!

Does anyone know what the rational behind this move is? Seeing as all resource tracking is done at a unit level... and the the stockage of the same category of vehicles differs both within and between units what is the benefit of a standardised call sign for a vehicle?

i think the benefit of standardised call signs is obvious..

if i was in an SES unit and responding with an unfamiliar unit to a job, then at least you know the type and capabilities of other responding appliances...

in that respect CFS have a few difficulties...

pumpers, that carry rescue/hazmat  but there call sign does not tell you that... rescues that may or may not have fire fighting capabilities, etc... there are a few differant scenarios like that.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:03:35 AM »
yep you are right Mack, that was exactly the reason this was introduced. Plus the current system was a) confusing when working with other units (you would have to remember their numbers -which I'm hopeless at :-)) b) they were finding it hard to find numbers for new units. The draft was circulated to all regions, as far as I know - thats why the more confusing parts were removed from the final version. I'm surprised that Jimmy didn't know about it. Like all change it will take a while to get used to. Darius maybe thats what those reserved numbers are for (6x6 vehicles). cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 04:49:16 PM »
Hi All,

The "new" numbering does not help with vehicle usage details really.   One unit can have two trucks now to be called 31 and 32,  The first one is biased to storm and flood damage ie pumps, long ladders, multiple chain saws, roofing repair kits and material etc.    The other is biased to structural damage ie  acro props, nail guns, wood saws, lighting banks and structural timber etc.

From the radio call sign there is no way of knowing what a general rescue truck is carrying with out knowing what your neighbouring units are set up with.    We know our adjacent units because we visit them and they visit us so when extra help is needed we get the correct assistance.  We have known their "old" numbers for 20 years and have had no problems in the past.

The same problems will appear with 4x4 vehicles you have Landcruisers and Hilux 4x4 utes both coded as four wheel drives with totally difference capabilities and roles in the field.

OldOne.
SES Communications trainer

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:57:54 AM »
The "new" numbering does not help with vehicle usage details really

i dont see how you can say that...

this numbering system should make it a lot easier to determine a vehicles capabilities, whether it is a rescue truck, whether it is command or logistics etc...

you say landcruisers and hilux's would both be a 4x but have completely differant capabilities.... how so? surely if they have a differant capability they may be a logistics or a rescue vehicle? im guessing the 4x would be used to denote a 4wd that doesnt really carry any gear, hence just a troopie or whatever.

one thing i can imagine being done is using one of these reserved numbers to differentiate between light & heavy rescue (eg USAR truck v general rescue truck)...

perhaps;

1 - storm damage appliance (primarily salvage equipment)
5 - heavy rescue appliance

??

my ramble anyway

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
SES don't' use the word rescue how firies do..When we say rescue we normally refer to a RCR hydraulic rescue capability, SES units have divisions with in the unit and one of them is Rescue, so if a vehicle is designated rescue it does not mean it is RCR or hyrdraulic rescue capable simply that is designated to the rescue team/division. That vehicle could be set up for storm damage or rope rescue or flooding etc etc.....

Other divisions if my memory serves are: Communications, Logistics, Recon......Could be others maybe SES people can give more insight. And things could have changed.....

Very different paradigms and unless you spend time with an SES unit can be difficult to get your head around if you come from a fire perspective.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
Thats correct Firefrog, the orginal draft had words proceding the number to signify the detail e.g. a quick response RCR (which did not meet the criteria i.e. had a combitool) would have been Unit 91 rapid, where as a truck that meets the criteria would be Unit 91. Other words were "USAR, Vertical, Storm etc" this was concidered by some to cumbersome.
I tend to agree my 31 unit RCR Quick response) is 4x4 dual cab but is fitted with a pod that carries HOH, air over hydraulic pump + medium size cutters, glass and sharps management, Some stabilisation gear,vertical access gear, a light set up, small ladder, tools etc. So it classed as a general rescue vehicle, it can tow a trailer which carries the rest of the Disaster rescue/ Storm damage stuff.
Where as the 91 truck is Primary RCR (we don't have light/heavy rescue as such - to us light rescue is our basic rescue course which are techniques & gear that you can manpack/ carry!). 91 also carries its general rescue stuff & vertical access but is Primarly a RCR vehicle, this is very different to our city counterparts, we have another trailer for storm damage/ floods. RCR Units in our part of the region are very RCR focused, equipment levels are fairly high and are very good stuff. But unfortunately that does not leave much room for other responses hence the trailers. Sorry for the long reply, but that should give you guys some idea of whats in them. cheers
Ken
just another retard!