Author Topic: '000' answering process  (Read 9430 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
'000' answering process
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »
Hi,

I am co-ordinating a SES display & activity evening at a local Guide group. The emphasis will be on Land Search, Lost kids & emergencies.

One of the activities is to get the girls to dial on a telephone handset (that is not connected) the 000 number. Then an adult can be the Telstra call-taker, then a local call-taker. The adult can lead the girl in providing their address or current location, what has happened & their telephone number.

From memory, I think the Telstra operator asks:
1/ Do you want police, fire or ambulance ?
2/ What state & township are you in ?

Then you are connected to the call receipt & dispatch centre for that organisation.

Can anyone tell me if I have the order of Telstra questions correct & do they ask anything different ?

Thanks,
Andrew Mac
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

Re: '000' answering process
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »
That is correct

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:06:30 PM »
Ring and you will soon find out..

:P

-Joking.

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
When I called the other day, all the operator asked was "which service do you require?"

No location was requested by the 000 operator. I was calling from a fixed phone though.
I don't know whether they are yet able to tell where you're calling from if on a mobile.

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »
They are ment to ask you what is your state and the service you need I asked a friend who is triple zero operator....

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 02:27:10 PM »
generally you ring triple zero and are simply answered with

"police fire or ambulance"

answer them and if you are on a landline they will automatically connect you to the applicable service, if you are on a mobile they will ask for your location.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:34 AM »
generally you ring triple zero and are simply answered with

"police fire or ambulance"

answer them and if you are on a landline they will automatically connect you to the applicable service, if you are on a mobile they will ask for your location.

Correct, suburb and state if you call from a mobile.
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »
Actually not. ^.. Rang the other evening from the mobile and it was " Police Fire or Ambulance"

No request for location information.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
Did you ask for a specific service, like "Adelaide fire" or "SA Police", or did you just ask for something like "ambulance"?

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:38:19 AM »
I've called twice from mobiles in relatively recent times and its always been "Police, Fire or Ambulance", then a further request for location (state, Suburb)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:35:50 AM »
I've called twice from mobiles in relatively recent times and its always been "Police, Fire or Ambulance", then a further request for location (state, Suburb)

Same here. Call triple zero quiet a lot during the footy season from a mobile and it's always "Police, fire or ambulance".

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »
Did you ask for a specific service, like "Adelaide fire" or "SA Police", or did you just ask for something like "ambulance"?

They just answered POLICE FIRE or AMBULANCE. I said Police, and was connected.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
I believe if you ask for 'Fire' and are calling from a mobile they will ask you what suburb or town you are calling from, they then check the 000 database to verify whether you are to be connected to a CFS Alerts line or through to Adelaide Fire (yes i know Adelaide Fire get all Alerts calls anyway).

If you ask for 'Fire' from a fixed line you will either be connected to the local Alerts line or through to Adelaide Fire, no need to ask for a suburb due to the 000 operator already having it from the CLI data.

All SAAS and SAPOL calls go through to the same number regardless of where you are calling from so no need to ask for a location.

Thats my understanding anyway.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »
the problem with that is if I ring from my house, and request fire and the operator knows what house i'm in, is that the fire could be up to about a 1km from my house and so they send the trucks to my house but that might take them further from the fire. especially in more country areas.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
Eventhough I agree with you, I can't see how the system could make it better.
And you are right in rural areas the lack of clear locations can be a real problem. Take for example this hypothetical message " Theres a car accident its on the Sturt hwy near Monash its really bad" That section of road is about fifteen KM long & this is the only direction you get (normally from tourist).
The locals are worse - "yeah mate its near Clarkies gate" ? Thats ok if you know where Clarkies gate is. At least with a big fire there is smoke normally, in our line of work that is not the case very often. Its interesting that SAAS can give a grid reference, but for rural areas Adelaide Fire can't. Ican recall many jobs where us & the fire services just drive around until we find the task - waste valuable time.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:13 PM »
the problem with that is if I ring from my house, and request fire and the operator knows what house i'm in, is that the fire could be up to about a 1km from my house and so they send the trucks to my house but that might take them further from the fire.

But you still speak to the emergency service operator and they will ask you for the location of the incident. They don't just rely on the CLI data, unless the call drops out.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 06:43:07 PM »
the problem with that is if I ring from my house, and request fire and the operator knows what house i'm in, is that the fire could be up to about a 1km from my house and so they send the trucks to my house but that might take them further from the fire. especially in more country areas.
Ahh so you don't give the operator any incident details?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007, 05:37:48 AM »
Agree with Mattb and Numbers ^^^.. - Once connected to the service they will ask you where it is, whats the situation, etc etc.. - The "POLICE FIRE AMBULANCE" bit, is just the "connection to service" line. You will then get connected to the appropriate service in the state and be able to tell them what is going on.

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 05:43:24 AM »
I called OOO for a job in victoria and was asked which service and what state cal was from my mobile phone,I was connected to the local service and gave them directions of the job.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »
Actually not. ^.. Rang the other evening from the mobile and it was " Police Fire or Ambulance"

No request for location information.

already answered mby Matt, but i take it you must have been calling SAAS or SAPOL? only one commcen for each in SA, so they should be able to connect you based on which tower you are bouncing off?

not sure how this would work in border areas...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 02:12:32 PM »
Rang 000 for SAAS on sunday night from my mobile, was asked which service and town i was calling from before being put through to saas
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 03:31:29 PM »
i think you will find it depends on which operator is on line from 000...