Author Topic: Region 3 Hook Truck  (Read 18521 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Region 3 Hook Truck
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
Already here flash funiture truck (see other post). Impressive, still think its a waste. Came to Berri unloaded some stuff now at Cobby staging area.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 05:02:46 PM »
The Big Problem I forsee in the case of the R3 vehicle is that generally the first thing it will respond as is "Tanker".  That will pretty much tie the vehicle up for the next umpteen hours, rendering it unable to deliver any other pods anywhere.

So a Tanker pod is probably not such a good idea... (Quote)

Could'nt agree more

Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »
See comments on other post
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 06:50:12 AM »
Already here flash funiture truck (see other post). Impressive, still think its a waste. Came to Berri unloaded some stuff now at Cobby staging area.
cheers

wow must be a waste...

being used already to bolster IMT resources in a remote area...
complete waste of tax payers money....  :roll:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »
I actually think the hook trucks if used co-operatively between MFS, CFS & SES could have its use. I think there are four or more in SA now.

At a major incident, two or more hook trucks can take materials to the incident area from various storage areas.

For example,
* the SES hook truck can collect the tents & foam supplies from Brukunga on the flat bed. The flat bed tray can be left at the Staging Area.
* the CFS hook truck can collect resource most needed (maybe empty water storage tank for staging area that can be filled by any water tanker).
* the other CFS hook truck can then collect the CFS IMT Pod.
* then the SES & other CFS truck can return to Adelaide awaiting response to another incident.
* the CFS Region 3 truck can stay on site and move equipment as required.
* After the incident was complete, the CFS truck can do the multiple trips to drop everything back to original location.

This means that three trucks and drivers are not required at the incident the whole time. It means the resources are shared.

Not eveything can be on pods and loading/unloading equipment can tie up volunteers. I have seen how long it takes to load and unload a flatbed truck manually. Even with the tailgate lifter on the SES Flatbed truck it is a long time with many volunteers occupied away from front line trucks.

The SES hook truck is an all-wheel drive to cover flood events, so to build that capability into multiple 'logistic' trucks would be expensive.

Another question I have, how quick could a container unloader or forklift be at the Moorook staging area ? Genuine question, because I do not know.

For me the key is to make sure that the resources are shared and not exclusive to one organisation.

** my thoughts & opinions only **
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 09:37:27 AM »
Same time it would have taken for the hook truck if a container side lifter was organised quick enough. Locally side lifters are available.
Maybe the the pods should be portable offices, if you are using that many trucks.
I think at the end of the day, the will be a group of people who support the concept & believe its urgently needed - those who work in IMT's, staging areas etc.
And those who think nice idea - does the developement of this capability need to be a high priority?
I could argue the need for an all terrain forklift, which would counter the loading/ loading issue. I'm sure however my counterparts would howl me down. So I guess it depends where you sit :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »
I could argue the need for an all terrain forklift, which would counter the loading/ loading issue. I'm sure however my counterparts would howl me down. So I guess it depends where you sit :wink:
cheers

This counterpart won't howl you down. 
Retardant bags.
Arrived on a semi-trailer from Melbourne around midnight to resupply after a heavy day's bombing.
Airstrip volunteers, already stuffed from a day of loading retardant into bombers, paged to return to the strip unload 10 or a dozen pallets-full of retardant bags into the storage shipping container. (approx 10 tonnes in 15Kg bags.)

By hand.

Won't be happening again.
CFS HQ can find a suitable fork-lift or come down & do it themselves.
One of those 4WD Canadian units with the telsecoping boom would do the job. Hire or second one from a brick delivery contractor.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

uniden

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
Set up Pods with a forklift, bobcat like MFB do.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »
Interesting that at least one interstate fire service is looking at the set up of the new IMT POD, with a view to improving their own pods.....   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
Pic of the inside of the IMT Pod (it was already working, so half the stuff was already out...)

Photo by Ashes

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 07:10:50 AM »
R3 Logistics Transporter is on KI now
Images are copyright

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
Was sent with IMT/Staging pod last Wednesday night, be interesting to get feedback from anyone having seen or used it....? (rather than opinion on where money should/could of been spent - while this opinion is good, the truck/pods have been bought and are in use now so what do people think....)

The two crew that took it came home safe last night.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 11:21:06 AM »
R3 Logistics Transporter is on KI now

and has been given a hell of a work out by the sounds of it...

still a complete waste chook?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
I still suggest it is a waste :)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »
Same Same, just because its being used doesn't mean that is the correct use of tax payers funds!
I'm sure that if that $1.2 million bus was allowed on the roads it would be there too :wink: What is it going to do for the rest of the year? bearing in mind you don't have the other pods yet. Maybe you guys should consider buying a landing craft as well :-D.
Anyway its too late to change things now, so no point going on about it - I'm admitting defeat :oops:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
LOL - Im just having a dig ;)

mind you it does seem to be doing good work in my books ;)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
I know Mack - dig appreciated :wink:
Ken
just another retard!