Author Topic: Why did you walk through the door and join? What keeps you in the service?  (Read 10463 times)

Offline alphaone

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I was talking to some of my work collegues about why I joined the CFS and why I continue to do it.

After thinking about it, I answered them with the following statement.
"I joined because I wanted to make a difference in my community, I always had a lot of spare time, so volunteering with a community based organisation was what I decided to do. Then two summers ago I was staying with a friend at her grandparents place when we were asked to assist the local CFS brigade (Blancetown) with manning the radio room. My friends grandad and uncles are members of Blancetown.

From the first moment I walked into the station, to when I finished and left, I knew instintively that this was something that I wanted to do. When I got home from my trip away, I looked on the net for my local brigade. I was able to pick from about three, so I went with the one closest to my home.

I stay cause I love the comradery at my brigade, and within my Group. I love helping people, and the best reward is the thanks I get from the community.

My collegues cant understand that I am willing to do what we do, with out pay. When I tell them that I do it cause I love helping people, I love working as part of a team doing something positive, and I love the sense of family I get in the service. And that I have also learnt heaps about myself, how to cope under pressure, skills that I can apply to everyday life. They say I must be crazy not to want a pay check for it. But to me, the thanks from the community, the childrens eyes that light up when they see the appliance and you let them touch the tools, makes it all worth it."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:40:34 AM by alphaone »

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you walk through the door and join? What keeps you in the service?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
well i joined at the start of yr 12 as my mother said i needed to do more stuff other than study and play computer games like get a job. then we saw a tv add for the CFS and it looked cool so and it looked easier than getting a job. then as school started we got a project for doing something for the benefit of the  community and CFS fitted the bill nicely.

then i joined and have loved most of it ever since.

and i haven't had many people not be able to understand the not being paid side of it but have had many people not understand the enthusiasm of it.

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »
i joined, because i love helping the community!
i might live in a small country town, we might have a small brigade, and dont do a lot of taskings, but everything we do is for the community like any emergency service!! people dont have to say thanks, the look on their faces says it all!

its the best feeling, when your working great locals, and doing something for the community!
they support us in other ways, like fundraising etc. and its just great to see the support go both ways!

not only that, but im getting life experience and skills, and its all in my spare time!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
I was 11 and didn't know any better :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »
Had skills gained else where that I thought could help the community. Answer to the second part - filtered knows :wink:
Have to agree with country kid but the look on the faces of the people we serve - unforgetable
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:37:46 AM »
CFS? Well, I actually didn't know it was run by vollies at first, but once a couple of friends let me in on what had obviously run over my head I couldnt get into the local brigade fast enough! hehe, was on a waiting list for about a year. What keeps me there? The satisfaction of knowing we're great at what we do, helping the community and the friends I have made.

SES? Well, I started with the same juvenile, inbred attitude that comes with 90% of people in the CFS sadly, with the "Them and Us". I wasn't very vocal over it, however, one of the local unit managers was a family friend, and pretty much dared me to come along and give it a go, I loved it, and am still there! Same reasons I'm still with CFS pretty much!

SAAS once again I didnt know one could volunteer for, and its been a hard slog. At the moment there's not a whole lot of good reasons I'm with my current team, aside from the fact that I'm still helping out the community.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »
I was chasing a girl in the Brigade :-D I have put alot into the CFS and have gained soooooo much from the CFS. That's why i'm still in.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
Joined SES when I was 18 in the 1980's. This was to complete 'Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme' and CEBS badges. Was hooked for the next 12 years until the family moved to Melbourne.

Resisted while in Melbourne and when we came back to Adelaide. Until the itch got me to rejoin in 2003.

I did GRN radio from a Field Command for a evening search in Adelaide NE metro area recently. The look of relief on a relatives face when the radio call that the missing 86 year old alzeimer's person is safe & well, renewed my volunteering spirit.

But politics make me wonder sometimes.....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »
I was chasing a girl in the Brigade :-D I have put alot into the CFS and have gained soooooo much from the CFS. That's why i'm still in.

Did you get the girl is the question on everyones lips Adam :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline alphaone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
What keeps me there? The satisfaction of knowing we're great at what we do, helping the community and the friends I have made.

I have to agree with Smallflame, the statisfaction you get from knowing that you are doing something great for the community, and that we are the best that we can be at it, is worth the hard times we go through, seeing people at there worst. And the friends you make through being apart of any emergency service will hopefully last a life time.

I was 11 and didn't know any better :lol:

Would you make a different choice if you knew then, what you know now? If so Why?

.... people dont have to say thanks, the look on their faces says it all!

not only that, but im getting life experience and skills, and its all in my spare time!

Too true Country Kid, they dont need to say thanks, the look on their faces says it for them. And as for the life experiance and skills, I have to agree with you there, it is a good thing.

... then i joined and have loved most of it ever since.

and i haven't had many people not be able to understand the not being paid side of it but have had many people not understand the enthusiasm of it.

I think once most people join, they cant get it out of their system.
For me, I live in a metro fringe area. So my collegues at work dont seem to understand the willingness I have to do something for the community without getting paid, and they cant understand the enthusiasm either.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

Did you get the girl is the question on everyones lips Adam :lol:

I filtered married her!!

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 05:17:06 AM »
I joined(cfa) as a mate was in it and he dragged me along back in 1982 and when I moved to SA 8 years ago I joined as I had heard the brigade was a family friendly brigade. My wife is now a member and my two sons enjoy going to the station,,,Why am I still there well in my work I get to meet alot of people and may of them are CFS members who all share the same vision of helping their community. I also stay as I enjoy my involvement with the cfs promo unit taking photos and getting to meet members from all over the state.Sure CFS has its good/bad as does any thing in life that we do,the enjoyment of helping someone when the pager goes off is all that matters....

Offline David

• David
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »
As a kid growing up living on a main road I regularly watched the fire trucks heading out on calls, great buzz it was and always got a wave from the firies.  I also had a scout leader who was in the local CFS and he in the end was the main factor in me joining.  Unfortunately there was no cadets so I had to wait till I was 18 but was at their door the next day.

21 years and 3 brigades later Im still there, still get the adrenaline rush when the pager goes and as many of the other have said really enjoy the comradery of the brigade and the community support, especially the interaction with the kids.

Will probably keep on doing this now until the joy has gone or they put me in a long wooden box. :-)
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline aust_fire1

• View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »
My Grandfather was a founding member of the brigade. Father was a member, Uncles etc. My son is here,. Brigade been going 50 yrs, I have been here for 32 yrs.. Just in the blood I guess

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 04:07:59 PM »
Unfortunately there was no cadets so I had to wait till I was 18 but was at their door the next day.

You got stiffed on 2 years there :P
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »
I am still there to fight fires and do what I can to help out, I am certainly not loyal to the CFS, I am not pro organistation, if there was an MFS retained station in my town I would probably join them, CFS shaft you to much.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
Since day one to help others in urgent need in circumstances they are not trained for, and to put something back into the community 8-)
Images are copyright

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »
I did not do it for the community. I had a few old fire fighting mates that use to tell me a few stories.

I do it for the adrenalin and the rush and challenge of a good going job. No warm and fluffy tales here!

But who knows for how long each year gets busier and the CFS expect more from you all for nothing.

About time the service starting putting some coin in my pocket!

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:19 AM »
I'm certainly interested in everyone's responses about the second part of the question, so far it seems that its either "In your blood" and its hard to just walk away from, or more like "I don't really know why I'm still here" because the politics of it all gets you down.

I walked through the door to do something different for the community and as a team (as opposed to my usual environmental stuff) and I hate team sports so this seemed like a much better option to me!

I'm glad I joined for the people who have taught me many things about life, about communication, about how to treat other human beings and how not to, the friends I've made over the years, the skills I've learnt, the things I've learned about myself and what I'm capable of (and what I'm not capable of!) and of course the fact that I met my fiance through the service.

As for why I stay....well, I simply think I'd miss it, though I don't wish to have such an active role anymore. Life takes on other priorities and I have several other opportunities in my life to serve the community in different ways. I don't think CFS utilises their people as well as they could, and it is often forgetten how much time and effort volunteers give up to do things for the service. The service seems always to be expecting more, and treating everyone less like volunteers but still expecting the same level of voluntary comittment. The term community is sadly lost on many brigades, and is something I enjoyed about my short stint with the CFA, where that term is more wholeheartedly used for some reason. Community education and awareness is driven by the brigade, fund raising and community events create a 'sense' of community and a value of the service given. Every training opportunity was washed down with a cold beer or squash and a BBQ. No member wouold ever dream of not coming along to the social events. Education is centralised in CFS, and fund raising was even frowned upon at one stage.

What keeps me going is that there is a need. But as the new crews appear and young enthusiastic people come along, and as the sense of community surrounding brigades fades, I'm more inclined to chat to my neighbour over the fence about fire safety as my little ode to prevention, rather than jump on the back of an appliance.

My god, maybe I'm just getting old  :lol:

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »
Excellent post Blue
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »
Someone send blue a bunch of flowers well done and said......

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Yeah, nice post blue,
can i pick up on a point you said about fundraising being frowned upon.
let me relay a story:

I have a friend who was involved with a cfs brigade. This brigade was situated at a location where an election poling booth was on the some property. A couple of people in this brigade thought that it would be a great idea for a bit of exposure for the brigade and a chance to do some fundraising to do a sausage sizzle, or just sit with a collection can and chat to some locals, being where they were the booth was located, most of the people would be at some stage linked to the brigade. A phone call was made to made to someone high up within the group, and a quite firm no was given because "this is not the sort of things that we wish our brigades to be seen to be doing".
What, you don't want your brigades to be seen to be involved with the community and raising its profile by interacting with members of teh community who will meet members as actual people, or may not even know they exist?? like come on...
And it turns out it wouldnt have been financially gainful for them because any money raised would have gone into group coffers anyways. This was one of the reasons that not much fundraising was done, because the brigade would end up not seeing the money anyway.

Can i stress for those that know me, that this story isnt mine, and wasn't any of the brigades that i have been affiliated with. And my comment at the start, was actually a friend, and not like saying to a doctor "i have a friend who..."

Offline fireblade

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 02:36:21 PM »

Maybe this should be in another topic!!!

My brigade use to fundraise heavily and was supported greatly by our local council with funding and access to council facilities that could help our cause.

Once the Emergency Service levy can along less community members were willing to stick their hand in the pocket due to paying the levy and that is fair its like the CFS or should I say goverment is double dipping.

I'm also of the opinion of why should a brigade fundraise when local CFS brigades are providing a service to the community for no wages, we should'nt have to beg, borrow or steal.

The goverment is saving a great deal of their budget each year with the work of volunteer emergency services.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »
Yep agree we don't ask the community for nothing except for people and moral support of course!
And yes the various services & the community expect more & more, don't have an answer.
It is interesting however that in the states that don't have ESL the community seem to be closer to the local unit/ brigade.
Sometimes I look across to the east at our Victorian cousins & think maybe we have got it wrong & it is getting harder to stay in.
The various sacrifices that are made just don't seem worth it sometimes, THEN some one from another unit drops in & instantly the camaraderie is there and all of the bad stuff is forgoten.
So I think another few years yet, and a few more stories to tell before I retire :-D
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 06:04:53 PM »
A local bloke asked me and a couple of my mates if we wanted to join the CFS, we said Yes. Have been doing ever since and love it, it's pretty interesting to notice the change the longer you've been in the CFS fighting fires, learning new concepts like HOT SPOTS. On the first strike team I went on we were mopping up at the Burra fire and I figured that if it was red then that was all that was going to be hot, and I could feel my feet and boots were really hot, the captain came over and said "Squirt the ground" so I did and a cloud of dirt and steam came up.
You don't learn jack in the BFF1 course compared to what you learn out on the fire ground and that leads me to think of Region 1's policy of 2 years experience being required before your able to go on a strike team, I disagree with that mabye if its a going fire but if it is just mopping taking your newbies along can provide them with some invaluable experience.

In regard to the reason why I keep doing it, well I couldn't tell you, I like to think of my self as good at it and if your good at something then its worth doing also the people in the brigade are great and the captain continually thanks me for my efforts (I live closest to the station so I get there first call Adelaide Fire, Set the Siren off, make up an esky open and open the station up). Stop calls are enough to make a person want to quit that and other vols with big EGO's anyone agree?

***END RANT***
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 06:13:10 PM by Crownie24 »

anything