Author Topic: Cobdogla - Bruno Bay fires  (Read 9222 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Cobdogla - Bruno Bay fires
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:32:40 PM »
Can anyone give me a 6 figure grid reference to where approximately the fire edge is closest to Cobdogla ? I wish to show people on a 1:250000 or 1:50000 topographic maps that I have in OziExplorer. Or maybe a google earth link ?

I have friends who live in Adelaide with permanent, on-site caravans at the Cobdogla Caravan Park who are nervous. Some are not sure if they should make the trip to Cobdogla to secure or remove their private property.

The CFS press releases warns of smoke, but no information on fire direction or risks.

Also the name 'Bruno Bay' does not link to anything in the maps.

Any assistance would be appreciated to stop people un-necessarily travelling inb the area is appreciated.

Andrew Mac
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline adelaide_medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Cobdogla - Bruno Bay fires
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
I could maybe suggest a phone call to the SACFS.

They should be able to give you details of the location of the fire and direction.

Cheers

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:20:44 PM »
The fire must be gaining some momentum, strike teams being assembled.
MFS: URGMSG ( BROWNS WELL, MORGAN, TAPLAN, WAIKERIE X 2) RESPOND GRASS FIRE, REPORT TO STAGING AREA AT MOOROOK OVAL, GRN TG 208 19/11/2007 3:41:10 PM CFS: Morgan

ANYBODY INTERESTED IN GOING ON A STRIKE TEAM, TONIGHT ONLY, 4 PEOPLE REQUIRED FROM 17.30HRS PLEASE CALL ME ASAP ON 0417806467 REGARDS ROB 15.34 19.11.07 CFS: Gumeracha
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:24:00 PM by safireservice2009 »
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
I could maybe suggest a phone call to the SACFS.

They should be able to give you details of the location of the fire and direction.

Cheers

I agree....the people are waiting until after the cool change goes through & the weekend. It is assumed that if the caravan park is in immediate danger, CFS would have announced it and it is too late to travel now.

If the people are still worried on Friday, I will get them to call the CFS information line.

But I was just after an idea without bothering the operators.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 02:44:48 PM »
Bushfire Information Message
3:50 PM 19 November 2007

FIRE CURRENTLY IN THE LOVEDAY GAME RESERVE. CURRENTLY SMOKE IS IMPACTING ON THE COBDOGLA AND LOVEDAY AREAS. STURT HWY CLOSED TO TRAFFIC.

Stay tuned to ABC radio or 5aa on a battery powered radio for more information, or call the CFS Bushfire Information Hotline on 1300 362 361.

For information about how to protect yourself from bushfire go to the CFS website: www.cfs.sa.gov.au

Andrew Macmichael

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »

;)

Offline adelaide_medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »
NEED A CREW OF 4 TO ATTEND COBBY FOR ASSET PROTECTION .....IF ABLE CALL THE STATION....S/O BAXTER MFS Berri Response

Sounds like this fire may be coming in close promximity of assets....

The worse of it may well still come... :|

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »

;)

Just tried the CFS info line & got no additional information than what is published on the website. I will get the friends to ring the caravan park which is what the operator suggested.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 04:19:51 PM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:26:18 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »
Its currently on the north and south side of the hwy, there are some shacks on the north side (asset protection?) currently the towns are not threatened ( spent the afternoon in the IMT room). Got to see the hook truck in action - flash furniture truck :-D. Not that I'm a convert but it did look impressive dropping the container onto the ground to unload some stuff before proceeding to the staging area at Cobby. Still didn't get a look in side (you people get out of our way!)  Pity those same people didn't bother to respect the no go areas of a shared facility or respect an instruction not to block the access between our shed and our radio room with crap. Anyway thats another story, as far as I can work out its all going to plan :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 04:52:34 PM »
SES have a Pod Transporter as well chook...Metro South's ex Prospect
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »
Yep some one else confirmed that evil rumour :wink: It doesn't mean I support the idea when there is other higher priorities. Have they bought the gear to go in the pod (USAR)? Have they got a pod? Doubt it - as we don't have money for anything else! Mind you USAR units get $9000 on top of there normal budget, so who knows :-D
How accurate is the public version of Sentinel? If it is fairly good the the recent storm front has pushed it a fair way south in the the last hour and a half.
If thats true they are getting in to some fairly unfriendly country (heavily wooded lots of creeks) hope the weather is friendlier tonite
cheers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:29:43 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 07:35:59 PM »
I hope this does not turn into another bookmark fire???? I did read on pager site that MFS where doing asset protection....Now was it this week there is a level 3 IMT course?? if so they can head that way and run it as part of their practical....

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »
Check out the latest message on the CFS web site :-(
Plus we are still getting storms & tomorrow is supposed to be worse.
Hopefully it won't go sour
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:14:58 PM »
Put it this way we saved the Steam museum at Cobby a few sticky spot there today cough on the small causeway at Game Reserve by the Loveday pump.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 09:21:19 AM »
I was listening to my scanner yesterday and heard the DEH South East Office talking to some of its Rangers & PA's (Parks Assistants)asking if they were interested going to the Cobdogla Fire to help out  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 09:28:07 AM »
Its currently on the north and south side of the hwy, there are some shacks on the north side (asset protection?) currently the towns are not threatened ( spent the afternoon in the IMT room). Got to see the hook truck in action - flash furniture truck :-D. Not that I'm a convert but it did look impressive dropping the container onto the ground to unload some stuff before proceeding to the staging area at Cobby. Still didn't get a look in side (you people get out of our way!)  Pity those same people didn't bother to respect the no go areas of a shared facility or respect an instruction not to block the access between our shed and our radio room with crap. Anyway thats another story, as far as I can work out its all going to plan :wink:
cheers

Hay chook maybe you should go and have a look at the front line you may say different. It was pritty close to tin town and other homes. Last I saw the pod was at Moorook oval at staging area when I droped of a member to get first aid. It was full of stuff as well as lot out on the Fire ground. Well could you give them a go with the space in Group Base there was quite a few people in need of space. Why waste the front room for a no go zone only High rank SES they are in a need of space.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »
My god they used the hook truck? It must have taken them a while to unload it, seeing as though it took them how long to set up and IMT?  :roll:
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
The front office space is not what I'm talking about at all. Currently its not being utilised so why not use it. Next time your at group base have a look and see what I mean. I don't see why they decided to take over my unit managers office as well & virtually kick us out of our own unit. And the comments about where it was - straight from incident control (we aren't allowed near the front line as our boats are not required). As I said previously it could get hairy out there this afternoon so stay safe.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:59 PM »
SES have a Pod Transporter as well chook...Metro South's ex Prospect

The SES hook truck is a SES State controlled resource, not Unit based. It is located in Metro South's shed because they cannot store it at SES State Store while Prospect SES vehicles are in that shed. Many rumours running that metro SES LHQ's are to be shuffled & moved so that resources are better distributed.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »
"The front office space is not what I'm talking about at all."

I know all I said was why not use that space  instead of leaving it free all the time?

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
Unfortunately I needed the same space to brief my crew for taskings (we had some when the storm came thru), debrief them & thankfully not this time but for critical incident debriefs.
Also my admin person needed to do all of the financial paperwork, this waits for no one(as those who have company credit cards know all to well :-D). It has been agreed by those in charge that this was a mistake and should not have happened.
Further that the issues will be handled formally once the incident is closed to avoid repeat problems.
I fully understand the way your organisation does things (very different to us). But I think you guys would be a bit annoyed if we moved into your brigade, put our stuff everywhere without consultation and forced your guys sit out in the weather after coming back from a fire. As you know we are fairly flexable and try to work thru issues, all it takes is a bit of liaison rather than the bull dozer approach. As I said previously the issues were mainly caused by another department that you guys work with :wink:.
Anyway I think I've said enough on this subject, we will see what comes out off the debrief. By the way if your interested in doing some joint trg next year, give me a shout.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 05:04:32 AM »
DHE south east could not get any staff to put up their hand to go.....