Author Topic: Museum?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Museum?
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:38:28 AM »
Hi there all

Just a question for the Forum.

Considering and looking at the option of starting a fire Museum in SA - I would like to get some feed back from the forum as to how do think it would go?

Please feel free to have your say?

Many thanks for looking

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Good times

Re: Museum?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 10:50:13 AM »
It must be viable because every other state has one. I think location might be the key factor, no point having one where people won't go.
also needs to be set out so that everything is for the good of the museum and is not turned into a business purely for making money, remeber that its for preservation. Also having a shed full of trucks is not exciting for everyone, need to have interesting displays to keep the punters happy.

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 11:20:07 PM »
I heard of a forum called SAFER    :wink:  :wink:  :wink:...  http://forums.cjb.net/safer.html

They are thinking about trying to start a museum in Sth. Australia.  Hopefully any one on this forum, who is interested can join there too, and see how things lead up.

:-)

Offline charlie

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 09:54:27 AM »
A museum was active for some years in Adelaide, I remember it was located last at the old workshops on port road. Don't know what became of it but accommodating the collection was the issue (rent costs). Perhaps Jason can let us know.
Charlie.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
Hi there all

I would love to know what happen with the old Museum - what happen to all the vehicles.

This is important information to prevent a recurrence of the past "problems" with the first attempt at a Fire Museum.

Many thanks for all your comments

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
I understand that a committee has now been set up to look into a museum so as to take care of old efs/cfs firefighting history. one of our brigade members is on it and I hope at last some of our history can be saved before it rusts away in a shed on a farm some where.....

PF_

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
What about the Birdwood Motor Museum, they have some really old firetrucks.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 08:19:08 AM »
Depending on space could you expand the museum to become 'volunteer emergency museum' to include rescue, first-aid, etc equipment ?

As everyone keeps saying, CFS do everything in rural regions, not just bushfires.

Would be good to see the old methods of extracting people from MVA.

Hopefully this concept would get funding from all CFS, SES, SAAS, Surf Life, water rescue, mine rescue, St John's, Salvo, etc, etc.

Hopefully this also would be a point of contact for recuitment of volunteers. Especially if activities such as CFS competitions and hands-on activities like the Maritime Museum at Pt Adelaide could be duplicated.

I would suggest
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 09:07:53 AM »
Hi there all

Re - Fire Museum - there has been a commettee formed to address whether the possibilities of a Fire Museum in South Australia is feasible.  The first meeting is planned early in January.

Please understand this proposal is only in its infancy, but please note we do have the backing of the VFBA & CFS (Representatives of both organization are on the committee).

As a committee member I am asking the forum for any ideas & suggestion which will be put forward.  My contact details are:

E-mail - ([email protected])

Many thanks

Wayne Ellard
Wayne Ellard

strikeathird

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 11:44:51 AM »
Wow...  Fantastic to hear that the committee has been formed, and hopefully this can develop into something special for south Australia.

The previous SAFER forum has been re-created after technical difficulties caused its closing.

It can be found at
http://safer.1.forumer.com

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
A museum was active for some years in Adelaide, I remember it was located last at the old workshops on port road. Don't know what became of it but accommodating the collection was the issue (rent costs). Perhaps Jason can let us know.

The previous SA Museum of Firefighting was closed when the government sold off the building they were housed in on Port Rd.All appliances were returned back to there respective owners and memorabilia is now scattered all over Australia...most of it is at Loxton Historical Village including two Dennis's...and other locations at Milang,Tailem Town,Birdwood,Hindmarsh,etc

If anyone knows of any other ex SAFB appliances/items hiding somewhere drop me a line.
Images are copyright

anything