Author Topic: Stirling CFS  (Read 4064 times)

uniden

Stirling CFS
« on: January 18, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »
What are the appliance replacement plans for Stirling?? Seems that 12, Rescue and Tanker are all coming up to or past their 20 years. Maybe a 34P to replace the first two and a new a Tanker??

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stirling CFS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
I heard a their current pumper will become a rescue pumper and a 34p will take hazmat and a 24 type rural appliance will remain and they will lose tanker and 12. of course CFS will never ever let us know

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
One would hope that on of the 12 appliances that are still in service will be kept and given to the heritage committee... Is there any need for them to have a tanker with the one's they already have in the group??

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
I heard a their current pumper will become a rescue pumper and a 34p will take hazmat and a 24 type rural appliance will remain and they will lose tanker and 12. of course CFS will never ever let us know

That is supposed to depend on what's in their SFEC.
After that, if the experiences of Burnside & Eden Hills are a guide, the brigade will get a lot of say in the final mix & details of build.

If Mt.Barker is a guide, they'll get what they are given.  :evil:

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:11:42 PM »
One would hope that on of the 12 appliances that are still in service will be kept and given to the heritage committee... Is there any need for them to have a tanker with the one's they already have in the group??

Reticulated water in the Hills is often pretty ordinary, & it's so built-up there's often not a lot of static water available to draw from. Fuel loads are through the roof especially on private lands. Councils don't have their tanker fleet to call on any more. Better the CFS gets even more of them.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »
well said the hills needs any tankers it can get

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 05:49:11 AM »
Kool,so would it be a 7500 lt tanker or one like lofty tanker?? how about a type 2 pumper CFS have a few of these and they can do the job and they can be fitted with a second pump to do pump and roll for rural jobs....

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 07:37:58 AM »
well most rural stuff around here is pumping up laykflats off the hard stuff anyway untill you get a bit further north and then it become more intersting fire tracks which a rural truck is needed for.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »
Bill, why would you fit a 2nd pump to a pumper to do pump and roll? Its a waste of space, and you don't even need an aux pump for pump and roll. Not to mention what is a pumper doing in a position where they have to pump and roll at a rural job anyhow?

This is the problem with CFS appliance design at the moment, they want a truck that can do rural AND urban jobs as well as hold a full stowage of RCR and Hazmat gear, plus everything else. Its just not going to work. CFS needs to learn that they can't rationalise *every* stations needs down to a single or a pair of trucks.

There would be nothing wrong with Stirling having a setup like:

-Current Pumper  -> 2nd Pump/Heavy Rescue
-Burnside spec Volvo Heavy Pumper/Hazmat
-34P for Rural/Urban backup.
-Tanker
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »
Well you can fit a second pump if needed for rural jobs if a brigade wants,would have to agree there is no need but still some brigade's send a pumper out first to a grass/scrub fire followed by a rural appliance. But we are getting better and it has taken time for people to remember a pumper is an urban appliance and a 14/24/34/34p are rural appliance's.....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »
I can't quite fathom people sending a 2wd pumper to a rural job. We trust these people with our lives and with the lives of th public and they still can't understand what truck to take to what job...

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 03:10:43 PM »
Not so long ago we took our pumper to a grass fire as we had houses under direct threat from a grass fire, pumper was used till our rural brigade's arrived and then was returned to stationif it was not for the crew of pumper we would have lost a shed and house....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
Because that crew would have lost the lot if they were in a rural truck? I'm all for pumpers and asset protection, but as a first response I don't see why you would take the urban truck if you have a choice?

Offline Nick000

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
An aux pump on the pumpers is a handy thing,
when a group is called to a grassfire what do you think gets left behind?
its the pumepers! and i have heard of a pumper then having to respond to a grassfire. and even if they are going into a grassfire for asset protection they should have a pump that can cover their donkey while they move.

And why not,there is a purpose built space for them on the trucks.