Author Topic: Babies @ fires  (Read 12088 times)

Offline PJ

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Babies @ fires
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »
I am no oldie but have been in service 14 years or so and the Firies seem to be getting much younger? Did anyone see page 4 of the Advertiser with the two what looked like cadets at the O'Halloran Hill fire?

These guys should be proud that they are out there doing their bit. By the look they must be just 16.

Well done young FF's keep them coming.

I wish we had some more coming in that age group.
The biggest mistake you can make is doing it wrong AGAIN!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Babies @ fires
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
yeh youll find youngens like me and them look younger and younger each year  :lol:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
We've just had three 17yr olds join and do their BFF1. even turned out to a couple jobs now, they're keen as mustard, brings back the  8-)memories
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:20:51 PM »
lots of people start young, including myself, and we need these members... so im not gonna pretend to be some 20year veteran or anything,. but it makes me cringe when i look at some of the crews that go out to these jobs...

personally i didnt think that pic in the newspaper was a particularly good look for the service (but weve all had that argument before). mind you one of the paid DEH crews that drove past had a 19 and 17 y.o. crew. makes ya wonder sometimes, especially considering there cruising round in there own little landcruiser 14 type appliance...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:26:21 PM »
personally i think its the mind of the person, not really the age of the person that matters.....being physically capable is Great...if ya recruit is mentally capable and mature enough....your brigade's caught a beauty of a fish ;)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:33:03 PM »
As long as they are capable of doing the job, why shouldn't they be out there on the fireground? That 19 year old may have seen more action, be more qualified and capable of making decisions after only 3 years on the job than some captains of certain brigades that have been around for decades.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »
You know the sad thing is everytime I see these kids (we have a couple too) it reminds me just how old I'm getting :-(
We were out at a job a couple of weeks ago (rollover) & some of the CFS crew, the kids from my crew and the occupants of the car (they got out with scratches) all knew each other, went to school together & were chatting away like a bunch of magpies sitting on the fence :-D. It was surreal, had a chuckle to myself & us oldies left them to it. Hate to think if the outcome was bad though.
I reckon good on em, we need to encourage more of that age group & we need to mentor them, guide them & step back and let em go! when they are ready of course.
Remember kids that are 17, 18, are busy defending our country as well & overseas they do lots of other stuff too.
As I said good on em! cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »
yes,agree with chook.
its great starting young, because the older members are usually mroe then happy to take us under there wing and teach us things. they mentor us and are so willing to help us.
because they obvisouly know that they arent going to be around for ever to run the brigade, so why not start training the next generations. that way we know all the tricks of the trade as well!

cheers!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
I started responding to fire calls after turning 16 of course both of my parents were in the brigade at the same time  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Bowforce

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
Would have to agree with all the post here...nice to see young people willing to do the job!!!! at 28 I'm nearly the youngest in our brigade quite sad I think!!!

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 05:42:38 PM »
Nice to see the younger members getting a few runs under their belt before it gets toooo busy,give them ago and the CFS will have members to follow on from us old farts.....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 07:17:25 AM »
Maybe the subject of this thread should be Young Recruits at Fires rather than babies :?

We are supposed to be encouraging young people to join the service not belittle them :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:51:49 AM »
I know of some fulltime firefighters who are very early 20's, have been in the CFS since they were 16 (plus cadets before that), and have seen more action, are trained at a higher level and more qualified, than some of the 20+ year veterans.. - I don't think people should descriminate against age..

+ Were the pictured crew CFS or paid Parks?

Offline Bowforce

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »
We are supposed to be encouraging young people to join the service not belittle them 

Too true!!

Offline country kid

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
i dont think people are realy fussed by being called the babies thou...Zippy doesnt seem to be, im not, and well honestly thats hw most people see it anyway becasue we are the youngest ones out there.

just how i see things though!

cheers country kid

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 07:45:41 AM »

I agree with all.....yep.....they seem to be getting younger..this includes My own Brigade.....but remember 19 year olds fought for Our Country in the Great Wars.WW1-WW2.

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 05:39:37 PM »
So did 15 and 16 year olds who lied about their age........

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
I know of some fulltime firefighters who are very early 20's, have been in the CFS since they were 16 (plus cadets before that), and have seen more action, are trained at a higher level and more qualified, than some of the 20+ year veterans.. - I don't think people should descriminate against age..

Although, I know some fulltime firefighters in their early 20's who are eclipsed, outclassed, and out-trained by their similar aged CFS counterparts. They aren't worth a pinch of scheiße to be honest :)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 05:54:56 PM »

Although, I know some fulltime firefighters in their early 20's who are eclipsed, outclassed, and out-trained by their similar aged CFS counterparts. They aren't worth a pinch of filtered to be honest :)

Now Now lets not make this into a MFS Bashing thread  :wink: remember it doesnt matter if the trucks and uniforms are a different colour or our techniques are different we are all fire fighters  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »

Although, I know some fulltime firefighters in their early 20's who are eclipsed, outclassed, and out-trained by their similar aged CFS counterparts. They aren't worth a pinch of filtered to be honest :)

You almost sound bitter with that statement..

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 08:04:47 PM »

You almost sound bitter with that statement..

I'm very bitter, trust me  :roll:

Offline Jono

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
I am no oldie but have been in service 14 years or so and the Firies seem to be getting much younger? Did anyone see page 4 of the Advertiser with the two what looked like cadets at the O'Halloran Hill fire?

These guys should be proud that they are out there doing their bit. By the look they must be just 16.

Well done young FF's keep them coming.

I wish we had some more coming in that age group.

Both just came up from cadets at Seaford about 6 months ago :D
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline Nick000

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 09:42:49 AM »
I dont no why u guys dont like the youngens, there the future captains and leuitenants of brigades. im 18 have been a cadet since i was in year 7 and active fire fighter for 2 years. in that time ive been to over 250 callouts, and been incharge of appliances.

Being out there on the fire ground is where they are going to learn the most especially from guys that have been there for 14 years. I can tell you... ive leart ten times as much from other FF at jobs than any course can teach.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »
I know exactly what you mean Nick

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 07:43:46 PM »
...in that time ive been to over 250 callouts, and been incharge of appliances...

And the lieutenants in nuff nuff brigade next door have only done 60 jobs in 10 years, but they still outrank you at an incident... How does that make you feel? :P