Author Topic: Why did you walk through the door and join? What keeps you in the service?  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you walk through the door and join? What keeps you in the service?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
Well said.
The commaradery didn't get me into the CFS but it has sure kept me in it. Moving to a new town (and brigade) it's a great way to meet new people, and feel accepted (feeling accepted is one of our basic needs, yep right alongside food and water). I was talking to someone not from CFS and she said to me, it's almos like a secret society that anyone can join. Taking her point, she meant that you can travel along and meet members and fit into a community because of it. Which i have found is so true.

On the point of ego's, well i guess that has to do with the culture that has developed within brigades. If you are new and move into that environment, then you either embrace it or move on. A little friendly rivalry is great, but when people start getting narky and saying we are better than you, or how come you got called to that and not us, its not fair, thats where someone needs to step in and say, well enough is enough. thats not how this works...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »
As far as i know region 1 doesn't have a policy of 2 years before you can go on strike teams. I believe it is some groups.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
Its quite possibly just individual brigades in the region, rather than groups.

a good 90+ percent of region 1 lets any member man appliances for strike teams, a great deal of learning occurs in the first few strike teams.

Offline Crownie24

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:18 PM »
My mistake....does anyone agree tho?