Author Topic: Reminder: CDMA closure scheduled for 28 Jan 08  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
Reminder: CDMA closure scheduled for 28 Jan 08
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:47:34 PM »
Just a reminder that the scheduled date is 28th Jan 2008.

If you haven't changed over your CDMA mobile before that date, you can probably expect delays for a few days afterwards as shops get crowded with many people who "were too busy" :| or "forgot" :oops: or "didn't believe it affected them" :?

If migrating to Telstra's "Next G" network rather than taking opportunity to sample a competitor's offerings, make sure you get a handset which is sensitive enough to work where you need it, or has a compatible car/external antenna kit.
I strongly suggest choosing a handset with a "rural tick" on it, as mine worked on KI at times when others did not :lol:  Only a couple of dead spots that I found.

At this stage there is little likelihood of this date being pushed out, as signal strength coverage has -generally- been matched or exceeded by Telstra's new network (yes, there are exceptions - if you know of one, for goodness sake report it so it can be fixed).

cheers
AJ

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: CDMA closure scheduled for 28 Jan 08
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »
Just a reminder that the scheduled date is 28th Jan 2008.

If you haven't changed over your CDMA mobile before that date, you can probably expect delays for a few days afterwards as shops get crowded with many people who "were too busy" :| or "forgot" :oops: or "didn't believe it affected them" :?

If migrating to Telstra's "Next G" network rather than taking opportunity to sample a competitor's offerings, make sure you get a handset which is sensitive enough to work where you need it, or has a compatible car/external antenna kit.
I strongly suggest choosing a handset with a "rural tick" on it, as mine worked on KI at times when others did not :lol:  Only a couple of dead spots that I found.

At this stage there is little likelihood of this date being pushed out, as signal strength coverage has -generally- been matched or exceeded by Telstra's new network (yes, there are exceptions - if you know of one, for goodness sake report it so it can be fixed).

cheers
AJ

Telstra shop will also advise on their computer system if your current phone is at risk of disconnect.

My wife was receiving SMS's indicating her phone would be disconnected, but a check found out it is a GSM phone.

I understand that if the phone has a SIM card, you should be OK. But better to check...

But my wife got a new phone for christmas anyway ....
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »
I understand that SES and CFS have rolled out the new NextG phone handsets. What model did they supply ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
I understand that SES and CFS have rolled out the new NextG phone handsets. What model did they supply ?

the "standard" for SAFECOM is the nokia 6120.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
Several phones my brigade has still are "Sim Registration Failed"...ehhh

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »
The "sim registration failed" will vanish once the "migration" has taken place.
Our appliance took a little longer than the expected dates we were told.
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
Ours was meant to occur Prior to Kangaroo Island.. :|

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
Several phones my brigade has still are "Sim Registration Failed"...ehhh

Make sure you turn the phone off and on every few hours so it pulls the registration info from the network. The phone doesnt always get this info on its own. It may seem stupid, but after working in a Telstra Shop for a few years you learn these things  :wink:
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:04 AM »
Our group has had all new phones installed into appliances,my new work phone is not as good as my old CDMA in the past I could get good coverage along the dukes hwy with CDMA but with the next G I have found lots of blackspots where once I could have coverage...Telstra tell me this will be fixed once CDMA is turned off fully....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10:11 AM »
Pity they made a phone that does not have the car kits available as yet :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »
We got car kits with ours, I guess you are talking about the Nokia 6120 classic?
We ended up buying extra ones as we only got issued one, very expensive. Still not installed yet though, have to find an installer - more cost!
not sure why the units had to fund these out of their maintenance budget - oh well can't have everything.
And I didn't know the phone had transitioned as the old phone still had Telstra on the screen - lucky someone had told me :oops:
Ken
just another retard!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
(quote)Still not installed yet though, have to find an installer - more cost!

Look no further :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 11:34:24 AM »
My 3G phone with Vodafone works real well as i can sometimes get full signal for a brief second on my front porch but there are lots of deadspots around the place so I'm guessing thats because the Analogue system is still in operation

So its best to wait and see if all Next G and 3G phones get full signal coverage once the CDMA network is shut down in January  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:31 AM »
We are talking about Telstra they only tell you what you want to hear :?
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:36 AM »
From what i was told Optus,Telstra and Vodafone share the same towers but im not so sure once the CDMA network is closed and the 3G & Next G networks are fully in operation that Optus and Vodafone will get the same amount of full coverage that telstra will get  :? 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
SA Firey, depends where you are, there is a guy up here but not a friend of ours anymore (don't ask why its all too hard :wink:)
Also there is a guy who is a local CFS member who can do the job (he is a techy)not sure if he is authorised though, has to be an authorised installer.
And we can't ship our fleet to Adelaide, which is a pity cause one of them is at Precar after KI & will be returning Tuesday (I know News year day).
But thanks for the offer.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 05:31:47 PM »
From what i was told Optus,Telstra and Vodafone share the same towers but im not so sure once the CDMA network is closed and the 3G & Next G networks are fully in operation that Optus and Vodafone will get the same amount of full coverage that telstra will get  :? 

They do share some towers but when Telstra turns off CDMA only NextG will see a difference in signal as they both run on 850mhz and clash a bit currently. 3G with Voda, Optus, even Telstra 3G runs on 2100mhz and will not have the same coverage as the NextG Network.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
Still even the slightest improvement in signal coverage will go a long way for people using 3G phones  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
My 3G phone with Vodafone works real well as i can sometimes get full signal for a brief second on my front porch but there are lots of deadspots around the place so I'm guessing thats because the Analogue system is still in operation

So its best to wait and see if all Next G and 3G phones get full signal coverage once the CDMA network is shut down in January  :-)

Robert
If your 3G phone is with Vodafone then you are not on the Telstra CDMA network & none of any of this affects you. 

If you want wider coverage or better signal, you have 2 options:
One is to convince Voda that they will make more money than it will cost them to upgrade the signal strength in your area.

The other is a change of provider to a carrier whose network covers your area better. There are several completely separate networks.  There are places where several Telcos have mounted their antennae on the same pole, but they remain separate networks. 
- Telstra 2GSM,
- Telstra/Hutchison("3") 3G,
- Telstra Next G,
- Telstra CDMA,
- Optus 2GSM,
- Voda 2GSM.
Both Optus & Voda offer 3G products, but I don't know whether they have built their own 3G networks, or are merely reselling Telstra/Hutchison 3G.

cheers
AJ

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:30:34 PM by StopCallKing »
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »

they take the same carkits as the older nokias (CK-7W), or did you mean the cradle?  if so even that has been out for more than 4 weeks now.  I got our group allocation from region nearly 2 weeks ago.

Offline Evac

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »
Government has forced Telstra to postpone the closure of CDMA til the end of April 2008... Surprise Surprise.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:52:27 AM by Evac »
Practice Doesn't Make Perfect....... Perfect Practice Makes Perfect..

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 05:34:33 PM »

they take the same carkits as the older nokias (CK-7W), or did you mean the cradle?  if so even that has been out for more than 4 weeks now.  I got our group allocation from region nearly 2 weeks ago.

Its all good Dave Group got our new kits and ive installed them all now :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
Government has forced Telstra to postpone the closure of CDMA til the end of August 2008... Surprise Surprise.

April actually, it's a 90 day extension (for political purposes of course).

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:14 AM »
Funny is it not the goverment that owns telstra???

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 06:25:52 AM »
Government has forced Telstra to postpone the closure of CDMA til the end of August 2008... Surprise Surprise.

April actually, it's a 90 day extension (for political purposes of course).

Actually, this is more correct than one might think. THe minister for Broadband and TElecommunications has already recognised that the footprint for Next G spans the same area, and the people who complain about reception are generally those who have 20 dollar phone plans with crappy hardware. You really do get what you pay for...

The delay is to assist "like for like" migration to the next G network for the outliers. This being said, i'd advise people to actually make the switch because if it isn't done by the 28th of April, your number will go in to quarantine and since section IV of the contract is being voided by lack of co operation you can  actually have a whole lot of other problems.